Sylectus sold!!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
To me it can't be worse than it's now. I've been in the alliance for almost three months and I ain't got not even a 10 mile run. Lucky me with Landstar brokers... :mad:

The software is just a tool. You still have to build relationships and reach out to the other carriers that use it. I you have not got a run in 3 months, I question if you are using the system correctly. Are you keeping your trucks updated? Are you bidding when you see loads posted? Have you reached out to other carriers and gotten yourself established? Did you consider attending the conference and meeting over a hundred carriers first hand and starting to build a relationship. Just having software and a truck will never be enough.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
One thing is for certain, change is always happening in this industry.

If it's not the new HOS rules that is going to change how we do business (and IMO drive the cost of goods up through the roof) or a major player in expedite selling it's business. Let's face it, this is very scary to a lot of smaller firms out there that use that service. i head some talk of "forcing" the small companies to purchase the software or be phased out. Or perhaps phasing out all small companies that do under 5 mill all together. Who's to stop QC from selling Sylectus down the road? What if the Fed or Panther bought it..and they got to see who everyone's customers are?? I heard talk of Sylectus potentially selling some of it's data to other companies. Just sayin....this could be nothing and nothing could change, or could be disastrous to a lot of companies. Could go either way, let's be honest with ourselves. I can see why some people are leary about the whole thing. With that being said you can't blame Sylectus for selling, it's business....

Their are many legal protections in place to safeguard the data. Any trucking company would have the same issue using any asp or cloud computing solution, whether it be Sylectus, ICC, TMW or any other solution. Sylectus was not looking at selling data to outside companies. What they talked about developing was something similar to what Transcore does. It would be a module that would show you AVERAGE rates of the pro users in a blended number. So specific carrier or customer information. This would allow you to do historical analysis of how your company compared and to help you plan for the future. It was discussed possibly letting the "junior" members on the connect level have access to this data as a subscriber module and possibly a revenue share with the full alliance pro users who's information made up the averages. So again, nothing to fear and nothing dishonest.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Ok so 500 members but many companies joined in past few months. My point is that the nice thing of the USA is the freedom to make money ok. I never talked anyone down. I just think if I was them I would want to have a shot at getting ore clients for my BIG $ maker which is the qualy units.

I do not run anyone down anymore not worth my time I just avoid the companies I do not like.

And as far as the sylectus boards and services it is fantastic and I hope it gets even better now and grows larger with more companies now with the qualy buyout.

I can not wait to see what it sold for that will be the intersting thing ! Since a public company purchased it "it more than likely will be disclosed"

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
To me it can't be worse than it's now. I've been in the alliance for almost three months and I ain't got not even a 10 mile run. Lucky me with Landstar brokers... :mad:

Mr. Elliot is 100% on the money. Take away the fact I really don't care about the purchase of Sylectus, It's a tool that if used properly will only help with your success. John will tell you that I'm the 1st one not to use it properly cause we have not shared freight in years.

But opening my mind to new ideas and listening to successful men like John Elliot I have taught myself to generate more opportunity. Even though I am a little on the expensive end of the industry.

So this year we went all out, I sent my staff to attend the Sylectus Vegas event which just ended (how was it John??) and made new relationships and shared ideas and I will now take the information and process it to try and fit our needs.

This is how you use the tools provided. And why have you not pulled up the customer data based and made the phone calls to other carriers? Did you also know that you are not always approved or see all carriers freight without the administrator approving you?

I missed out on several opportunities with Load 1 for example because I never bothered to pick up the phone and talk for a minute. I threw out a few crappy bids and got turned off. I will do the same to others also. There are many I will NEVER use because they never called and introduced themselves. I wont use you just cause your on the system! You have to prove yourself.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Sylectus was not looking at selling data to outside companies. What they talked about developing was something similar to what Transcore does. It would be a module that would show you AVERAGE rates of the pro users in a blended number. So specific carrier or customer information. This would allow you to do historical analysis of how your company compared and to help you plan for the future. It was discussed possibly letting the "junior" members on the connect level have access to this data as a subscriber module and possibly a revenue share with the full alliance pro users who's information made up the averages. So again, nothing to fear and nothing dishonest.

Thank You for the clarification

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
The software is just a tool. You still have to build relationships and reach out to the other carriers that use it. I you have not got a run in 3 months, I question if you are using the system correctly. Are you keeping your trucks updated? Are you bidding when you see loads posted? Have you reached out to other carriers and gotten yourself established? Did you consider attending the conference and meeting over a hundred carriers first hand and starting to build a relationship. Just having software and a truck will never be enough.

Sure I did everything I could do, that means bids, calls, updating the trucks, etc. The only explanation I could see is that they don't wanna do business with new companies... I've been in expediting since '95, always as O/O, and I never had problems, not even when I had to deal for 7 years with John Deaver (Nations Exp drivers know who the guy is...), but since I got my own authority everything turned 180 degrees against me. As I mentioned, lucky me with the Landstar brokers, otherwise I'd starve... :(

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
JD, I don't call only when they say "Don't call, e-mails only"...

What I meant was you only see a fraction of the actual loads. In order to see emails from carriers you must call the carrier directly and get set up to see them.

Look at the top 20 companies on the Alliance. Do you see their freight postings? Chances are unless you set up direct you will not see them.

fortwayne

Not a Member
If you don't take the time to build a relationship, even just over the phone, all the fancy tools become pointless.
Like it was said you only see a small fraction of the loads. In fact, I wouldn't mention the carrier, but when I did work in this area of the biz, I would see five or six loads on the so called board.
But, after a quick phone call, a little time I was getting 10 to 15 freight emails per day.
Sylectus is good, it works, ask most members.
But, with persistance, and building relationships it becomes fantastic. Use it as a small part of your tool kit, not the whole thing.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Vegas was a great conference. Very well put together with a number of really good carriers. It is a big part of what makes the whole system work. Face to face meeting and relationship building is what gets freight moved.

John, Thank you for all the kind words.

Rebel, I would suggest you call Erik or Tim in our expedite logistics department. Make sure that you are set up and have a packet on file. We will always use a carrier we know and that is set up over a carrier that is a complete unknown. This is a good start.

Got to go, off to the airport again!