Sylectus sold!!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Just announced in VEGAS. QUALCOMM is the new owner. OH CRAP!! Hold on for the ride!!:confused:

Thanks STU!!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Congratulations STU!! Just another little guy getting caught in the do$$ar sign. Like a deer in the headlights. Let's roll tape on how many times Stu announced he would NEVER do it!!

I am actually happy for him, even though Sylectus carriers are screwed!! I'm next!! Big $!!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
It honestly could of not happened to a better guy. It just gonna be another speedbump for alot of good carriers. Stu had a dream, fulfilled it and sold it. Unfortunately to a huge uncaring, ready to destroy anything for a profit corporation!! :mad:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Is Qualcomm going to force everyone to use Qualcomms? Maybe Stu made an agreement when he sold out that the site is to remain unchanged! Any how, this is how it's done in the business world "you build up a company, make it look appealing to potential investers, and then you sell out take the money and run." You can't blame the guy for taking the money. I hope they are still taking small carriers when I try and get on there this year. If not, we're going to have to get together and create a new site for everyone!

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Is Any how, this is how it's done in the business world "you build up a company, make it look appealing to potential investers, and then you sell out take the money and run." You can't blame the guy for taking the money.

I'm not blaming anyone for selling. If they built up a business that someone wanted to buy they've obviously made better business decisions than I ever have. I'm curious about something though.

My question on this is why sell? I have a friend in the computer industry who didn't sell his business for 50 million. He said it would only take a few years to make that, so why not just just keep making the money.

That to me makes sense. I'm not disputing the other point of view. I'm totally open here to it's a higher level of thinking than I understand. So I'm wondering why they'd take a 1 time payment over what could be a lifetime of income?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Can't think of anyone that deserves success more than Stu. Good show......and, thanks for a wonderful ride!!!!

Be interesting tho, to see how the tariff goes up and things go to hell, as I remember each time the Roberts logo wuz sold.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
seems if i were the new owner and i had a company like qualcom, i would mandate that all carriers that use my load posting site all have qualcoms. its a no brainer. that is just a plain way to insure the sale of more units. guaranteed revenue unless it allgoes south for some other form of getting loads out there.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
seems if i were the new owner and i had a company like qualcom, i would mandate that all carriers that use my load posting site all have qualcoms. its a no brainer. that is just a plain way to insure the sale of more units. guaranteed revenue unless it allgoes south for some other form of getting loads out there.

1st, Sylectus is NOT a load board. It's a advanced software for the "hardcore" expeditors. It's the most advance trucking software available. To use it strictly as a "load board" is ridiculous.

The freight available is some of the worse paying freight in the expedite industry. Think about it!? It's carriers freight. So it's already been stepped on 5 times over.

It's nice to have interaction in the expedite community, and a opportunity to provide customers with a option other than your own truck, but it's definately not a deal breaker!!

Stu's original idea with bringing the community together as 1 was great, over soon? No. But I'm shopping. And it will effect less than 1% of my business if I where to part ways. I would be more affected if I lost my worst customer.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Qualcomm Announces Acquisition of Sylectus

There can come a time when a payout looks good compared to several more years of..... whatever you happen to be doing and all of its related offshoots, including whatever aggravations are part of the package. I wonder if they will be keeping Stu as an adviser for awhile during the transition.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya john, that was just me kinda pokin fun. i am very well versed in what all the sylectus system can do. i have had first hand experience with it at two expedite companies that i worked for. i guess we kinda feel the same way about it. a good idea that could have been more. i kinda like the analogy of a computerized broker that knows where trucks are and has the ability to do more. and yes the rates are bad

fortwayne

Not a Member
Stu will be staying on as it said in the press release. IMHO, I don't forsee any radical changes.
What I would like to see is another so called community come about dedicated to the smaller carriers that could share resources, aka truck posting/location, freight.
It would have to have something to offer unique or its nothing more than another fish in the ocean.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
dont get me wrong, sylectus is a good system and does alot of different things. i wish it the best and hope this makes a difference.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Good thought but if you look at the big picture how many listings would they lose by restricting the number of trucks those loads were available to?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As I read the press release, I see a lot of talk about the Sylectus software and no talk about the community approach that Selectus is known for.

That makes sense to me as I don't see Qualcomm doing anything that puts itself in direct competition with major carriers that are important Qualcomm customers. Qualcomm is a technology company that acquired some impressive software by acquiring Sylectus.

On the other hand, in this age of social networking, Sylectus and Qualcomm may cooking something up that will blow the doors off traditional dispatch systems. If I was running a dispatch system at a major carrier, I would not dismiss this news with a yawn.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It does make you wonder whether members will be required to purchase their additional softwares? Might be an issue to the many members who currently don't run with QC's and may be required if you are to retain your membership.
Just a near future thought to ponder.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I hope they will make easier to use their system now. Sylectus reject us just because we work for T&K in the past....

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
There are 1 or 2 people on here that have known about this for sometime now. I interested to see if they weigh in on this matter to give us a "heads up" on what their thoughts are??

However, I respect their position and anytime you can get "one up" on your competition it can always position you for a huge advantage in the long run.

I don't believe it's fair, Sylectus should share this "insider info" with it's Alliance Pro members that have the most investment.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I read the press release, I see a lot of talk about the Selectus software and no talk about the community approach that Selectus is known for.

Talk is cheap, but a picture is worth a thousand words. At Selectus, their community approach is to create memories that last forever. They've taken 20 years of experience with the large photography companies and created a small firm that delivers big. No matter what your event, they have the expertise, the technology and the value-added attention to detail to give you a better customer experience than you're accustomed.

At first glance Selectus seems to be a strange acquisition for QualComm. But when you consider the world of reverse logistics, satellite communications, bi-lateral supply chain management, time sensitive multi-modal transportation and integrating those with a custom portrait company; well the result is a stronger QualComm that will be light years ahead of the competition. Just image not only being able to use text to communicate with dispatch, but actually seeing a portrait of the dispatcher in real time, right there on your screen. And dispatch seeing your smiling face when you except that load to Backhole, Nebraska at a reduced rate.

For more information on Selectus Inc. and the QualComm merger please visit: Selectus Inc.

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh boy, look at all of this.

What's the big deal?

First the product is a good product, Qualcomm was an integration partner which meant there was a lot of things going on behind the scenes that many wouldn't get. They saw an opportunity that expands their market share into places they are struggling with and rightfully so bought one of the best product lines for that target market.

Second it is a perfect fit for Qualcomm in the transportation management end of things, bringing in small and medium fleets to Qualcomm and allowing them to package a variety of services and products that enhance the fleet operations. IT is a win-win for all involved.

Third, a lot of small carriers use it as a load board because it is a load board among other things. It is also a great way to allow brokers to get into the action, cheaper freight because of it.

Fourth, stu, who ever he is, took this idea from Oracle and other supply chain software providers (among other industries) who services large companies and applied it to small/medium size carriers - a very good thing. Some of it is no where new, the application and marketing seems to be where he succeeded the most.

Fifth, one of Qualcomm's competitors in this field is Oracle with their Transportation Management Software package. Oracles aggressive marketing and sales of their product lines which seems to put Qualcomm at a disadvantage with some markets. Both companies have large carriers as customers, one of Oracle's customers is represented right here as an advertiser but the contractors would never know it.

Sixth I don't see anything but a good things to happen with this buyout. Stu, who ever he is, did the right thing in taking the his company as far as he could and now that Qualcomm (who makes most of the stuff that goes into phones by the way) has deep pockets, we may see more features and more access through their development system than stu, who ever he is, could ever do at lower prices in the future.

Seven, something like providing insider info because someone has an "investment" through using the system seems to make me think they forget that there is no investment when you are a customer and any insider info causes more problems with the SEC and so on. NO hint of this should have taken place and because customers are not investors nor have a stake in the company outside of the service they get hence there is no problem with fairness unless they shut down the service without notice. I guess it is a pet peeve with me.

Reactions: 1 person

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Oh boy, look at all of this.

What's the big deal?

First the product is a good product, Qualcomm was an integration partner which meant there was a lot of things going on behind the scenes that many wouldn't get. They saw an opportunity that expands their market share into places they are struggling with and rightfully so bought one of the best product lines for that target market.

Second it is a perfect fit for Qualcomm in the transportation management end of things, bringing in small and medium fleets to Qualcomm and allowing them to package a variety of services and products that enhance the fleet operations. IT is a win-win for all involved.

Third, a lot of small carriers use it as a load board because it is a load board among other things. It is also a great way to allow brokers to get into the action, cheaper freight because of it.

Fourth, stu, who ever he is, took this idea from Oracle and other supply chain software providers (among other industries) who services large companies and applied it to small/medium size carriers - a very good thing. Some of it is no where new, the application and marketing seems to be where he succeeded the most.

Fifth, one of Qualcomm's competitors in this field is Oracle with their Transportation Management Software package. Oracles aggressive marketing and sales of their product lines which seems to put Qualcomm at a disadvantage with some markets. Both companies have large carriers as customers, one of Oracle's customers is represented right here as an advertiser but the contractors would never know it.

Sixth I don't see anything but a good things to happen with this buyout. Stu, who ever he is, did the right thing in taking the his company as far as he could and now that Qualcomm (who makes most of the stuff that goes into phones by the way) has deep pockets, we may see more features and more access through their development system than stu, who ever he is, could ever do at lower prices in the future.

Seven, something like providing insider info because someone has an "investment" through using the system seems to make me think they forget that there is no investment when you are a customer and any insider info causes more problems with the SEC and so on. NO hint of this should have taken place and because customers are not investors nor have a stake in the company outside of the service they get hence there is no problem with fairness unless they shut down the service without notice. I guess it is a pet peeve with me.

8th, You just depleted all the fun right out of this *****ing session:D LOL JK