Sprinter load ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, Sprinters are definitely expensive fixes. I wouldn't get a Sprinter I don't think. Most likely a Transit. I'd hope they are closer to an E350 than a Sprinter for fixes. My comments were on putting on pants, not repairs.
All new vehicles are expensive for parts it's not like it used to be. I had a lady tell me her transit diesel fuel filter was 250.00 installed. Sounds high but you never know

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To the original question: Can you get 6 skids 45" wide by 45" long by 84" tall into a Sprinter: No. Can't be done. First, they're too tall (not by much, my old Sprinter was the tallest they made in the 2500 series back then-- but still, 84" is too tall). Second--- 45" + 45" gives you 90" wide. That's too wide to have those skids side by side in ANY van. 6 X 45" gives you 22.5 feet--- too long for ANY van.

Easy in a straight. 90" wide fits in an 8-ft wide box. 3 X 45 gives you 11.25 feet long--- again, easy for almost any straight. 84" tall should not be a problem for most of the Expedited straights I've seen.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I never meant to imply that there are no benefits to being comfortable, to being able to have three skid capacity and still have a sizeable built-in sleeper area. That is all fine and dandy. I just hate the way the sprinter has been marketed to the shippers and brokers. Some companies like Panther don't even distinguish between a sprinter and a cargo van, while other companies charge the same rate to move a sprinter load as they do to move a cargo van load. I used to have a 1500 cargo van for a year and it was a just a six lug. I saved ten thousand in the bank that year. You can make money in just about any size vehicle if you're signed on with the right carrier/carriers.

I know so many of you all have left Express One in recent years, but I'm starting to wonder if they're the best game in town now as far as getting loads. If I go to drive for a fleet owner next year, I have to decide what company is going to be the nest fit. I figure I can make a decent amount of money on 1200 miles week. I will drive a sprinter or promaster and see how these vehicles perform then make a decision of whether or not I will by one in the future.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never meant to imply that there are no benefits to being comfortable, to being able to have three skid capacity and still have a sizeable built-in sleeper area. That is all fine and dandy. I just hate the way the sprinter has been marketed to the shippers and brokers. Some companies like Panther don't even distinguish between a sprinter and a cargo van, while other companies charge the same rate to move a sprinter load as they do to move a cargo van load. I used to have a 1500 cargo van for a year and it was a just a six lug. I saved ten thousand in the bank that year. You can make money in just about any size vehicle if you're signed on with the right carrier/carriers.

I know so many of you all have left Express One in recent years, but I'm starting to wonder if they're the best game in town now as far as getting loads. If I go to drive for a fleet owner next year, I have to decide what company is going to be the nest fit. I figure I can make a decent amount of money on 1200 miles week. I will drive a sprinter or promaster and see how these vehicles perform then make a decision of whether or not I will by one in the future.
Re: E1 or Epo....there overall LINEHAUL rate has certainly dropped over the last years the whole pay structure has changed....1 nag i have left for them is the FSC calculation...they use the MIDWEST average for calculations,,,the 2nd lowest average in the country....
.35 for every DH mile plus the .70 when loaded plus the fuel ....I would put them back on my go to list.....

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had purchased the brand-new baddest, biggest, tallest and longest Sprinter a year ago, I'd be asking this question today:

Is it worth the cost?

My answer today would be. "No."
Simply because my type of loads didn't call for it.

I believe I eliminated lot of headaches and saved large amount of money in the operating costs by not choosing the Sprinter. And, if for some unforseen reason that I have to walk away from this biz, I really want to keep my van remaining balances as low as possible.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had purchased the brand-new baddest, biggest, tallest and longest Sprinter a year ago, I'd be asking this question today:

Is it worth the cost?

My answer today would be. "No."
Simply because my type of loads didn't call for it.

I believe I eliminated lot headaches and saved large amount of money in the operating costs by not choosing the Sprinter. And, if for some unforseen reason that I have to walk away from this biz, I really want to keep my van remaining balances as low as possible.
Everyone prioritizes differently....this biz can be very individualized to the point there is no right nor wrong.....it just...."is", comes down to what the specific operator feels they need...:)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All new vehicles are expensive for parts it's not like it used to be. I had a lady tell me her transit diesel fuel filter was 250.00 installed. Sounds high but you never know
That was probably dealer cost. I know when I did my first fuel filter change at the dealership, I think it ran me like $330. That was the last time I had it changed there.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It costs me less than $30. Never had it changed at the dealer and never will.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Opel2010

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everyone prioritizes differently....this biz can be very individualized to the point there is no right nor wrong.....it just...."is", comes down to what the specific operator feels they need...:)

Totally!

I like to keep my overhead expenses smallest and shortest, so that I can stay in this biz the longest, Lol......

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That was probably dealer cost. I know when I did my first fuel filter change at the dealership, I think it ran me like $330. That was the last time I had it changed there.
It was, but the point is these aren't the old vans they are all expensive.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Totally!

I like to keep my overhead expenses smallest and shortest, so that I can stay in this biz the longest, Lol......
That's just good business practice....nothing stays the same and we must change with it...especially in a business that is supply and demand driven...one might even have to consider cutting back on specific items to lower the cost per mile to stay competitive....or get another job.

Reactions: Mailer

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have driven both. The Chevy was solid and worked well except that it was too short. In a ten day period I lost 7 loads because they were too tall. Now in the Promaster I can stand up, sleep crossways, have room for 3 skids and still have a refer and microwave. I do get paid more for larger freight. Also being 54" between the wheel wells has paid off a couple of times. That said I would seriously consider a Transit but haven't looked at one yet. I will run the Promaster til it no longer makes financial sense. I like being able to put my pants on standing up.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It all depends on what company you drive for. When I was with panther I maybe lost 2 loads in a year that were too tall for my van. They might have even been too tall for a sprinter. It was a miscommunication by the shipper. Panther is the king of one skid, two skid, and single box loads. If you can embrace the stupidity, all you need with Panther is an extended Chevy Express cargo van. I take it Mailer's carrier is the same way. They must tap into a lot of cargo van loads. Like I said, it all depends on who you drive for.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How would anyone know how many loads they lose because of height? Dispatch isn't gonna call and say, hey we had a load but you can't take it, na na na na.
the question should be....how many loads do you lose because of your size?.....regular vans getting loaded ahead of you because dispatch is saving you for the BIG one?.....I've actually had this happen to me....

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How would anyone know how many loads they lose because of height? Dispatch isn't gonna call and say, hey we had a load but you can't take it, na na na na.

Well, you don't understand the way Panther operates. Panther didn't really distinguish between sprinters and cargo vans when I was there. Everyone I knew at the time was running good with just cargo vans, and the sprinter vans were always getting one and two skid loads for the most part. I think Turtle can elaborate on this issue in more detail than I can since he has a sprinter van and was recently leased on to them. I don't know how they operate now, but I know that sometimes they will list longer, taller, and heavier loads on their bid board with the notes "sprinters ok!" That means the loads is going to go cheap. Maybe they market their sprinter vans and box trucks differently. Perhaps Moot can come on here and tell us how Panther is doing things these days!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
the question should be....how many loads do you lose because of your size?.....regular vans getting loaded ahead of you because dispatch is saving you for the BIG one?.....I've actually had this happen to me....

That kind of junk probably happens all the time. Just like carriers will hold Canada certified drivers in certain areas until a Canada load pops up. This used to happen to me until the passport was required.