Sprinter load ?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Can you guys and girls with sprinters fit the following :6@45x45x84 in your vans they're trying to tell me it a sprinter load, and I told them they needed a shoe horn anal lube and a can opener!! Am I wrong?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe they mean that they want you to sprint there, or maybe you need to have cell phone service with Sprint?:)

Reactions: neilblack

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
the biggest item I every had was 48" wide 48'' high 14'4" long weight 2100
strap it to forklift , back under it push it on rollers and strap it down
when I got back to station they were not happy with me picking up the load
they asked why did you pick it up for the money

Reactions: neilblack

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I like when they pull that crap that "it's just a small 2 pound box" why do you need a dollar a mile? Oh, hum, because it cost the same amount of money in fuel, maintenance, and tolls to run a 2 pound box as it does a 2500 pound skid. Silence on the other end of the line. That is why I would never buy a sprinter. You're for the most part going to get paid almost exactly the same as a cargo van driver, but you are giving the shipper/broker more options, and your vehicle payment and maintenance expenses are much higher. The sprinters and promasters only benefit the shippers, not the drivers. Such is life though.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a ton of benifits to a larger van, wider, taller, longer. Higher load availability and yes it often does pay more than cargo van rates if you have the right carrier. Shippers many times now days just call and say I need a sprinter regardless of freight size. They like the ease of loading and knowing you don't need a shoe horn to fit something in. Those loads go to large vans not cargo vans

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think any of us that have commented with the exception of Blizzard and Leo have driven both....so we have some experience that varies across different carriers....I've always said no driver should be on their knees with their pants down around their ankles....the idea of going back to a cv just gives the the shivers...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've driven both. I'll drive another Sprinter when companies get the idea that somebody has to pay for these expensive vehicles--- and the driver didn't come into the business as a millionaire who just needed to kill time.

Say what you will---- when my Chevy breaks, I can afford to fix it/have it fixed without having to knock over an armored car to do it. Back when I had the Sprinter, the only things that didn't cost outrageous amounts of money were lightbulbs. It loved to break the belt-tensioner, and I can't remember paying less than 1,500 to have that fixed. I had to replace a tensioner on the Chevy---- half that much and I got a new water-pump into the bargain.

Reactions: blizzard2014

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My point was this was a st8 truck load and the shipper insisted on a sprinter so we all lost..... I have no clue what they finally did for transport but I know I didn't get the job!

Reactions: xiggi

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
This one is for the occasional 84" tall loads.
images

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, Sprinters are definitely expensive fixes. I wouldn't get a Sprinter I don't think. Most likely a Transit. I'd hope they are closer to an E350 than a Sprinter for fixes. My comments were on putting on pants, not repairs.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you guys and girls with sprinters fit the following :6@45x45x84 in your vans they're trying to tell me it a sprinter load, and I told them they needed a shoe horn anal lube and a can opener!! Am I wrong?
Maybe in a Sprinter Straight Truck... ;)

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've seen photos and chassis cabs being moved but never seen one on the road, with a box what happens to the gvw on these?