Sprinter aux tank

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
True enough. Can't predict anything on the open road. What I'm seeing for freight now could be due to my 6 ft 7 inches cargo area and natural gas only van. When I'm empty tho, loading up with 1.89 diesel on the way home:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Several years ago I met a Sprinter driver from Canada who had a standard steel 55-gallon drum (200 liters) mounted inside the van on the passenger side in front of the wheel well, but sitting partially over the foot well at the rear of the sliding door. He had a 1-inch hose running out of the bottom of the barrel (from an attached valve that could be opened or closed) through the side kick plate in the foot well to the gas tank, and installed an external filler tube and cap to fill the barrel from the pump. The OEM fuel tank was gravity fed from the barrel. It was securely mounted and was enclosed in a cage similar to that you'd find forklift propane tank enclosed within. He installed a separate fuel gauge for the barrel. It was incredibly well done, very professional. He was a retired boat builder.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Told the carrier 2750. He's got a couple sprinters at 2000, some at 2500, and a couple at 3000. Obeying the law, this just doesn't seem fun anymore...first call was 2 skids at 3300 today.

What's next, maturity? Responsibility? Paying taxes?

Back on topic there's not as much depth back there as I thought...looking for a 55 gallon drum :D

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're typically doing down and backs without much running inside Ontario you'll have 600 or so miles to play with if you fill up near the border.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the range on a long and tall? Thanks Scott, usually that will work but some weeks have been Canada only

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or like i do .... Stay the Heck out of Canada and let Scott haul that stuff ....lol

Unfortunately I live here . . . they won't let me in except to visit...planning on 60 miles per hour i'll have the road to myself

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back to the weight thing . . . i can title this sprinter for ontario at anything I want weight wise (with an actual mod to the suspension to make it a reality) I realize DOT would go by the door sticker but for locals . . . i doubt the frame on a 10000 plus box sprinter is anything different likewise the rearend . . . just the springs . . . any American Van I've had was rated for 6000 at the rear axle...anybody done it?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going for it. I have 2 people that want it if it doesn't fit, it's 18" high and 36x36 bottom and 26x36 top, includes skidplate

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a side note, sprinter 2500's had different metal thickness and chassis bracing than 3500 so 8550 is likely 8550. Tank will be useful only on lighter loads it seems

And yes, all of you were right

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Montana you need to stop if you actually more than 8,000 pounds (not the GVWR, but the actual weight).
That is incorrect. In Montana you must scale if over 26,000 pounds or placarded. I stopped once at the scale in Wibaux. I weighed and was ordered around back and told to bring in license, registration etc. I complied. The scale guy was friendly and explained that since I stopped he might as well check my paperwork. He informed me of the 26,000 pound rule. This was a long time ago but I'm sure the 26,000 pounds is still in effect.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is incorrect. In Montana you must scale if over 26,000 pounds or placarded.
Thanks. I was doing that from memory, and I could have sworn I once saw a sign that said 8,000 pounds at West Yellowstone, but obviously not. I just looked up the actual law there and it is indeed 26,001 pounds or more.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. I was doing that from memory, and I could have sworn I once saw a sign that said 8,000 pounds at West Yellowstone, but obviously not. I just looked up the actual law there and it is indeed 26,001 pounds or more.
I've been down U.S 191 twice from Bozeman to U.S. 20 and there are no scales. Could be a scale in Wyoming on U.S. 20 but I doubt it was in the park. Maybe a scale near Cody. Last time I was through there was 1976 going east on my motorcycle.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've been down U.S 191 twice from Bozeman to U.S. 20 and there are no scales.
One of my favorite drives. Oddly enough, especially in the winter. But on that route you get to literally drive through Big Sky, Montana. :)
Could be a scale in Wyoming on U.S. 20 but I doubt it was in the park. Maybe a scale near Cody.
Oh, it could be just my mind. :confused2:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scale just after crossing from SD into Wy... Been in it.... Didn't need to scale but had to show paperwork and license... As my delivery was in Wyoming .... As per state law at that time...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're typically doing down and backs without much running inside Ontario you'll have 600 or so miles to play with if you fill up near the border.
Confirmed. 21 MPG at 75 mph loaded, last trip 24.5...difference between US and Canada only 40 cents a gallon right now...back burner project, last 4 years been getting 15 mpg at best, so I had no idea of the sprinter, spare gas cans seem better like others said...

Also scaled at 5500 on MTO scale leaving me 3050 capacity, told carrier 2750 to cover shipping shenanigans

Last edited: