Sprinter aux tank

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before I get attacked . . . yes I know 8550 GVW...but diesel here varies 3.20 to 3.80 a gallon here right now . . . . looking to run my Canada stuff on US fuel and I found a 2016 aft plastic diesel tank takeoff for 150... he's not sure if it's 43 or 52 gallons but it's big :D

Planning on running a lift pump to stock tank although if I want to buy sender and gauge I could see the level...
Full Circle Fuels
Here's a pic of an alternative (expensive) solution, estimating 400 lb off my capacity if full in my solution...cutting off silly spare tire holder I'm not a fan after fighting my E350 one for 2 hours one night . . . thoughts? Anyone have an accurate long and tall sprinter curb weight?

25 to 40 percent off fuel seems like a pretty big reason to do this

Attachments

• ad_1460924286650.jpg
    ad_1460924286650.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Reactions: Treadmill

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Solved the gauge and transfer problem, just have to decide where to plumb into stock tank. Plan on using manual switch/relay.
Screenshot_2016-04-17-18-43-48.png
Screenshot_2016-04-17-18-44-48.png

Reactions: Treadmill

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The benefit is partially offset by the reduction from the 8550 as you mentioned. There's also the added wear and tear to the suspension, brakes, more tire wear, etc. from hauling the added weight. Depending on how far to the rear there's also potential for added handling issues. When I considered a Sprinter I also thought about extra fuel but more like a 10-12 gallon extra tank. Good luck.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm out $200 or so if it doesn't work. I don't see a difference weight wise, I've been offered a 3200 lb load once this year...I usually go out from home, so it wouldn't be full and I could siphon out the diesel if I had too I guess...i've carried 7 gas cans, saying it's for the generator when I cross the border probably wouldn't work at customs

I guess I should have mentioned most of my runs have been a 4 lb box lately

Does 400 or 500 lbs really make that much difference in a Sprinter? Before I knew to check my diesel E350 was running at 7800 empty, got 21 MPG until over 2000 lb in the back...my current van tanks are 880 litres, at least 1200 lbs worth in a dodge ram van

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Digging around methinks my estimate of 5300 empty is a tad optimistic. Especially since I'm 262. Might be useful to carry fuel home tho, when empty, I turn and burn if there's no backhaul...even that I might have to rethink, diesels not 90 cents per gallon I've been isolated with the natural gas...400 miles for 25 bucks

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Crap I don't want to start all this again about weight but 5526 is given as the curb most often, with me and nothing else 5800 so 8550-5800=2750 no wonder nobody's interested. Told the carrier I think it can take 3200!

What states scale sprinters again? :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thus may come as a surprise, but they have places where you can go and get your Sprinter weighed. :smile:

Reactions: Murraycroexp

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Armchair quarterbacking. No safety emissions or insurance yet

And I meant...well you probably know what I meant :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, new information! :D

Until you can actually get it weighed, I'd go with the MC published spec of 5539 curb weight.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks . . . and to avoid posting another thread ;) I'm confused . . . i get that I don't need to scale, but I technically have canadian commercial plates....any truck or van not used primarily for personal transportation must here, separate of the under 10000 lbs . . . how does that work when I go to US? Just read that if you have commercial plates you have to enter scales...yes I've been doing this 9 years but the sprinter isn't very subtle, I go to west Virginia often now and "heard" of vans getting scaled MI too

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ignore that. For ontarians under a CVOR yes otherwise it's not regulated here. Other provinces don't have CVOR. But all pickups and vans use commercial plates (black lettering instead of blue) I should retitle this thread to "like a moron I'm going to add a 500 pound gas tank and all the sudden I'm worried about laws" but that's a long title

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want an accurate curb weight stop at a truck stop with no freight on board just the items you normally carry on the road. You the driver, co-driver or pet if you ride with one, clothing and gear, tools, etc.

Fill the tank and weigh the vehicle on a truck scale. You will know how much weight is actually on the drive and steer axles. This will help the tech determine the best placement of the tank..As a CYA I would recommend having an actual truck shop

REMEMBER being overweight even on one axle is still an overweight and at an average of five US dollars per pound minimum 1,000.00 fine, wrecker bill, impound, downtime, insurance, points on your license and safety score, and posabilly being unhirable for some time especially if you are in a wreck resulting in an injury or fatality. That's an expensive convenience.
Also in the event of a serious accident one of the first things DOT will do is weigh the vehicle. regardless of your G.V.W.

I am an medic, and I have been on several truck wrecks, seen it done, so I'm not just talking through my asz.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do get all that. Just trying to figure out how the sprinter van fits in here, I've only driven in NY PA and OH up to now . . . never have I even considered being checked for weight, and the sprinter doesn't give you much...im trying to reconcile this with stories about people titling sprinters as rv's in NC to avoid scaling (Internet)
As for placing the tank it's going to be right where the spare is, which will be right where that heavy skid will go . . . weight per axle now, might as well get a straight truck

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In most states, vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more must stop at the weigh stations. In a few states it's 26,001 pounds or more. Michigan says "all trucks" but they have conflicting definitions within their own statutes. If you get stopped for not pulling into a weigh station in Michigan, even an incompetent attorney can get it dismissed. But any dually is gonna have to stop. In Montana you need to stop if you actually more than 8,000 pounds (not the GVWR, but the actual weight). South Dakota you're supposed to stop if the GVWR is more than 8,000 pounds. Delivering into Wyoming you're supposed to stop. I stopped in there once when delivering into Wyoming and they told me to leave, said I didn't need to stop there. Never stopped there since. In Virginia you're supposed to stop if you weigh more than 7500 pounds. I've never stopped there.

The only scale houses I've ever pulled into (when I wasn't HAZMAT placarded) is that one time in Wyoming, and one time in Arizona because you're supposed to stop and get a trip permit, but they told me trip permits are only for Commercial Motor Vehicles as defined by the DOT (even though the law explicitly states cargo vans and pickup trucks <shrug>).

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
F.Y.I. If your a newbie, Turtle is experienced however he can be sarcastic sometimes you need a sense of humor..

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very helpful turtle exactly what I needed to know. Bobwolf only a newbie to open road (and sprinters) I had a route before. Think I'll have to make sure I'm legal and dump the tank to a drum at home before a heavy load, turn it down if I get stuck out with the aux full...lots of hassle to save a buck

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trust me I feel your pain New York state is one of the highest priced for fuel then add highway use taxes and tolls I try every angle I can safely and legally use to save a buck.
If you can get the weight distribution math right and not totally slash your freight capacity or the investment exceed the expected payoff time Id say go for it.

A good rule of thumb is any major repair or investment into a vehicle is two weeks salary pays it off. or compensates for the other expense such as less weight capacity.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I'll be filling in NYS to save money! Still 25% to 40% cheaper depending whether I can go thru Irving or not ;) be paid back in a few tankfuls

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can offset some of the weight and wear issues if you only put 20 gallons or whatever you may need to get back to cheaper prices.
If you guess low you at least are buying less high price fuel than without the added tank.

Reactions: brokcanadian