Cargo Van Should I even worry about not being Sprinter-high?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now comes the real cost-benefit analysis. I got a preliminary quote of $5125 + tax (6% in PA), plus I know there would be small add-ons here and there (such as making a hole for my fantastic fan). That's for a 24" roof, custom-fabbed door panels, and includes a FMVSS-compliant roll cage. The company in question is a builder of paratransit vehicles.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That $5,125 + tax would be a great down payment on a new or used Transit or Promaster, along with the money from selling your current van. JMHO

My guy from KLM recommends against it; haven't gotten a definitive recommendation from Express Logistics. So, I'll probably let the idea float on down the Delaware :rolleyes:

As for buying another truck, not this year! Never mind the soft rates and iffy economy, a big part of my decision will be affected by the election. I cannot see the economic picture improving with either Democrat in the Oval Office, nor, frankly, do I much care for Mr. Cruz. (Don't ask for whom I'm voting; I'm going old school and refusing to answer).

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't do it. The raised roof will actually bring down the value and change the stiffness of the van. Insurance has some wiggle out room as well since you modified the van in a major way.(missed the roll cage, you'd have to call your insurance) Unless it's got a zillion miles sell it and buy larger, or do nothing
I loved my E350 too but one drive in a Sprinter and it was don't let the gate hit you in the ass on the way out, Ford

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can pick up a 06 Sprinter for around 10 grand in good shape these days :) or if you don't mind ducking.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
There are a couple of vans in the classified ads here on the EO that I would check into. Just like one person said on page one, in this business you need to be the tallest and longest and I agree with that whole heartly.

But it also depends on who you work for. Take Panther, like Moot said he hasn't had alot of tall freight and with that company you could do alright with a van like yours there.