Cargo Van Should I even worry about not being Sprinter-high?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been mulling over the idea of replacing my flattop with a taller vehicle. Also looking into a professional roof cap install, which would give me 12-18" more door height. Lord help me, I've even thought of having the roof cut, braced and modified to accept a pickup cap! :eek: (Although my pimp might find that unacceptably hillbilly :p )

Question is, with these sh*tty rates at current, need I even bother with modifying or replacing my healthy, almost-paid-off flattop? Sprinter-height vehicle owners, be honest: how many loads do you get that could not be done by a flattop? By this, I mean loads over 48" high, or more than 104" long?

I'm not asking for trade secrets, just ballpark estimates. I need to know whether or not it would be worth it right now to make expensive modifications to an otherwise serviceable van.

Thanks, y'all :cool:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, Bill; remember, tho, that your van could serve as an efficiency apartment in a pinch, at least compared to mine :rolleyes::)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been mulling over the idea of replacing my flattop with a taller vehicle. Also looking into a professional roof cap install, which would give me 12-18" more door height.
A raised roof will give you more door height but it will also reduce your door width toward the top. Check it out before you have one installed.

Question is, with these sh*tty rates at current, need I even bother with modifying or replacing my healthy, almost-paid-off flattop? Sprinter-height vehicle owners, be honest: how many loads do you get that could not be done by a flattop? By this, I mean loads over 48" high, or more than 104" long?

I'm not asking for trade secrets, just ballpark estimates. I need to know whether or not it would be worth it right now to make expensive modifications to an otherwise serviceable van.

Thanks, y'all

With my carrier I don't get paid extra for tall or 3 pallet shipments. Since I put my high roof Transit in service in October I haven't had many tall loads. I bought it mostly for my own comfort. When I leave expediting it won't be in a blaze of glory and it won't be on my knees.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Been mulling over the idea of replacing my flattop with a taller vehicle. Also looking into a professional roof cap install, which would give me 12-18" more door height. Lord help me, I've even thought of having the roof cut, braced and modified to accept a pickup cap! :eek: (Although my pimp might find that unacceptably hillbilly :p )

Thanks, y'all :cool:

A lot of time brokers does not know the exact dims or it is very close to 48 high. So they asking for a sprinter type van Nissan NV or Ford Transit to make sure load will fit

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Referring to brokers/carriers as pimps is crass and lacks class (not that the trucking industry is particularly refined and classy, though). When you refer to your pimp, you're telling everyone else you're a whore. But besides that, pimp/broker isn't even analogous, as pimps generally take 100% of the whore's money and then pays the whore's living expenses (food rent, clothing, medical, legal, etc.) solely at the pimp's discretion.

As to the cargo van height, when I had my Ford E-350 I had too many times where I had to remove the top layer of a skid, load it into the van, rebuild the skid inside, then reverse it at delivery, all because it was an inch or two taller than the opening. With the Sprinter, I have probably a third of my loads being 48 inches or taller, that either wouldn't fit in a cargo van or would only fit with great difficulty.

Still, the largest single factor in my getting a Sprinter was the ability to stand up and not having to live on my knees.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just went through this. Compounded with the problem of not running on gas or diesel.

I view it as not being able to afford to turn down good paying loads . . . I've given up at least 4 (that I know about, Dispatch catches on) in the last 2 months that would have paid nicely and turned this from McDonald's pay to a cushy office job.

You don't have to buy new. Shippers seem to expect a Sprinter when they call for a van and I get nothing but complaints from forklift drivers, and each run means several calls between me, Dispatch, and the customer to make sure it can fit. And there's showing up at a shipper hearing "why would they send you!!" And "This is critical *#?!" Too much hassle and wasted time when this is barely worth it in the first place.

For what it's worth, just my opinion

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Tallest, longest, and endorsements will get the most loads. You won't even know the loads you missed because of your limits. Shippers will order 3 skid van with max height just in case. When you get there: one skid or maybe 3 stackable and you can leave sleeper up. Some sprinters are rated all the way to 4,000 lbs. ( my 2 cts) Set weight limit with carrier at 2,500 and raise if later if needed. The less wear and tear on van the longer life $.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Referring to brokers/carriers as pimps is crass

I'm from Philly, so I've been called worse things than crass :p , but you hafta admit: when rates are more suggestive of a street corner humpty bump than an expedited freight delivery, the analogy is painfully close to being true :eek::(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF you have the resources and plan to stick this out....I would go for the raised roof...from the financial rewards end to the personal rewards...it makes waiting so much more comfortable....and you could store some small cooking utensils and cook a few meals up to help save some $$$'s....

Reactions: ntimevan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, Ken. Next question, I guess, is how high to go. Is a 60" door height OK, or should I try for 66"? IIRC, "real" Sprinter type vans have door heights of 70" or above, but I don't know yet how high I can get installed.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i love my sprinter, no log book's, 95 per cent of scales don't have to cross
biggest thing I have had on a sprinter is piece of machinery that was 14' long 48'' wide and 48 '' high and weight
2,100 lbs, had to strap it to forklift than back under it
they were not happy when I got back to station, with that piece on my van they ask why did you pick it up
for money
took it off the same way put it on strap to forklift and strap to d rings in floor drove out from under it
w

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks, Ken. Next question, I guess, is how high to go. Is a 60" door height OK, or should I try for 66"? IIRC, "real" Sprinter type vans have door heights of 70" or above, but I don't know yet how high I can get installed.
If you're raising yours, anything at 60 or higher will give you a lot of relief. Personally, I'd want it to be high enough that I could stand upright without hitting my head, but mainly anything over 56 inches will get you more freight, as there are a lot of things that are 54 inches tall (automotive racks, for example).

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only issue is, I'm stuck with a max of about 120" of length, as any flattop owner knows :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only issue is, I'm stuck with a max of about 120" of length, as any flattop owner knows :p
if your carrier does a lot of auto you might want to go with minimum 70 opening the standard 45x48 double stacked is just at 70 which with a coating of vasoline fit in my sprinter....LOL but its great when you get them flats with them little auto bins and each skid is 30 high and you can double stack....so many different options to name, but you get the drift....you might as well to be able to stand straight unless of course you are 6.6 :) if you are going to get into it might as well be all in.....IMO

Reactions: schwanman

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
What Scott said. Especially in these lean times.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk