School suspends students for play at home

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No school should have any authority off school grounds. No child should be forbidden to play in their front yard just because some hysterical person goes into hysteria.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As to picking a mate, I was raised to be a MAN, the old fashioned way, and I would say I did alright in that regard. Made it 40 years so far. Better than most.

Caveman+dragging+girl+by+hair+MAD%231.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Wow....with all the problems going on, I can't believe people spend time on this kind of stuff. That is the real problem, not some kid with a toy plastic gun.

As for the rest of it, I apparently haven't been rehabilitated. Married a good looking women and I don't do the dishes.:cool:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're right: we don't understand why little boys need to hone their aggressive tendencies to prepare for an adulthood in which those tendencies are [unless they go in for boxing or wrestling as a career] forbidden. Learning to accomplish one's goals without trampling on the rights [much less the heads] of others is the definition of growing up civilized, but you think boys should be exempt?
If we haven't evolved enough to prove our worth as mates and allies without beating the crap out of people, we don't deserve to survive.
And speaking of deserving, when men choose a mate based upon her physical attractiveness, they usually get what they deserve too.
Wow, you've completely missed the entire reason for display, and mock fighting, throughout the entire animal kingdom, humans included. Little boys don't hone those tendencies so that they can actually bash heads, they hone those skills so they don't have to bash heads in order to survive. But also because if their head is about to bashed in, be it literally or figuratively, they know how to react without overreacting. They know how to handle adversity without being overwhelmed by it. They learn how to get knocked down and then upright themselves and keep on surviving instead of simply filing for Social Security Mental Disability because they can't mentally deal with it all.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So you're saying that survival is a critical skill for males, but not females? I mean, think about it: if the woman is killed because she never learned survival skills and there's no big strong man around when she needs one, can he breastfeed the infant? :p
Seriously: practicing skills so you don't have to use them is not the most optimal use of one's time, IMO. Better to learn and practice the skills that will be used, and a bit of cross training too - just in case.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Seriously: practicing skills so you don't have to use them is not the most optimal use of one's time, IMO. Better to learn and practice the skills that will be used, and a bit of cross training too - just in case.
You're still missing the point. The individual skills aren't the issue, it's what the learning and practicing of those skills teach you so that you can apply those skills and behavior to any and all aspects of your life. The tournament display (mock fighting, if you will) for example, not only teaches how to take defeat without being killed and/or utterly and totally demoralized to the point of being dysfunctional, but it also teaches conflict resolution, teaches self-assurance, how to think quickly, consequences, what's worth fighting for and what's worth walking away from, and it helps prepare you from the world eating you alive when you get out of school. It's actually some pretty intense cross-training when you think about it.

We have an entire generation of men who were not allowed to hone these skills, played musical chairs with the same number of chairs as people so as to have no losers and thus no diminished self-esteem, and have not learned to deal with rejection and adversity, not learned how to get knocked down and pick yourself up and continue on. Those are the men coming back from Iran and Iraq who are a blithering mess. These are the mess who are so messed up in the reality of the world and their total unpreparedness to deal with it that they take semiautomatic weapons into schools and shopping malls and movie theaters.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Far too many boys, and girls for that matter, are insulated from failure. Failure is often a much better teacher than success is. That is where the difference between the false "self-esteem" crowd and confidence that comes from succeeding at difficult tasks. That has to start when boys are learning to walk. Let them do it on their own. The more they bust their butts at the beginning the faster they will run later. Recovering from "minor" failure to succeed later pays off in spades in adult life.

Insulation from feelings is just as bad. Feeling bad when bad things happen is normal. It does not require a shrink or medication. It is OK to feel bad. It goes along with feeling good. They are called NORMAL human emotions.

That is also what is so insidious about "welfare". It is teaching generations of men that it is OK to ignore their responsibilities as men. No need to provide for your family, the government will do it. They don't work through the problems life throws at them. They become lazy, mentally and physically. It saps confidence. It destroys the drive that is needed to succeed. It is FAR better to do as little as possible to insure that men work through the hard times.

Welfare is a major contributor, if not one of the primary causes, in today's crime rates. Men get frustrated when they are not challenged. They need tasks to do and challenges to over come. There more difficult the problem, the greater the satisfaction. Take those away and they will look for other, less positive challenges, to take on.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's impossible for a liberal to understand. That's why they ruin so many children, often unintentionally, but ruined all the same.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Ruined", huh?
Daughter #1 has been married for nearly 20 years [to my go-to computer expert], is raising 2 daughters, recently graduated Magna Cum Laude with a nursing degree, is a homeowner, and has a great relationship with her spouse, in laws, and some pretty smart friends.
Daughter #2 is a working college student who has been financially independent since age 18, and just bought her own home [with her fiancee, who is one of 3 owners of Big 3 Racing, who just won "Fastest Street Car in America" because they are damn good at what they do]. Her favorite shirt says "I know how to load more than a washer & dryer", and she's not kidding: she won a marksmanship trophy at age 14. She is also smart and funny and beautiful.

If they're what you call "ruined", then the ruin of this civilization is what we need.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow, I had to go back and refresh with it being over 2 years old. Nowhere did it say ruin each and every child. Many children. It's really pointless though. But we'll check back in a couple of years and see what's what. ETA Beat me to it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We're you thinking about that reply for two years, lol.

Nope, I had forgotten it entirely. Two years ago, the daughters hadn't quite accomplished their goals, so it was premature to point out how idiotic the drumbeat of "liberal morons" is. :rolleyes: