School suspends students for play at home

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No, it's for real. It's kind of a 'he said/she said' thing, though, where the school alleges the kid was endangering others waiting at the nearby bus stop with his air gun - if that's true, he should be disciplined.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Trust Fox to portray it as an outrage, and LDB to accept that the headline is all there is to the story. :rolleyes:
How does a kid in 7th grade [and his mother] not realize that shooting real 'bullets' in close proximity to noncombatants is a really dumb idea?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trust Fox to portray it as an outrage, and LDB to accept that the headline is all there is to the story. :rolleyes:
How does a kid in 7th grade [and his mother] not realize that shooting real 'bullets' in close proximity to noncombatants is a really dumb idea?

Really? I think you need to lookup what an airsoft gun is!

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I admit I don't know - I was referring to the quote from the principal who said one kid was "hit while running away" which implies the gun shoots something, at least. And playing at shooting in the front yard, near a school bus stop, while waiting for the bus, is just asking for trouble. Even if the gun shot bubbles, it's still smarter to play in the back yard, IMO.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Airsoft are small plastic pellets that weigh 6 to 12 grams. There is nothing "bullety" about them, real or otherwise. Regardless, the school has no jurisdiction or business in the family's front or back yards no matter how many houses near or far from the bus stop.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I put 'bullets' in quotes because I don't know what kind of projectiles they are, but clearly, the gun fires something, and the activity could cause an injury to other schoolkids, so the school feels they have jurisdiction. Whether they do or not is a matter for the lawyers to decide, [!] but I still say it was an asinine time & place for the kids to engage in any kind of play with guns. Clearly, not everyone is aware of what an Airsoft gun is, or shoots, and some could easily overreact to just the sight of a gun these days. And 7th graders are old enough to know that, or should be.

In San Antonio, the high school football fans just staged an impromptu food fight in a local Whataburger after an intense game, and the school officials are checking the vids to identify students they can charge, lol. Funny how we expect people to "take responsibility for their actions" except when it goes against the grain, eh?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
None of our local high schools have a Whataburger on campus. Perhaps they do at one or more of the high schools in San Antonio. If so, the high school should take proper actions. If not, they have no more business being involved than the school where the kids were playing with the Airsoft guns. Then again, they should probably throw the book at those hs students for "malicious mustarding".

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I put 'bullets' in quotes because I don't know what kind of projectiles they are, but clearly, the gun fires something, and the activity could cause an injury to other schoolkids, so the school feels they have jurisdiction. Whether they do or not is a matter for the lawyers to decide, [!] but I still say it was an asinine time & place for the kids to engage in any kind of play with guns. Clearly, not everyone is aware of what an Airsoft gun is, or shoots, and some could easily overreact to just the sight of a gun these days. And 7th graders are old enough to know that, or should be.

Honestly Cheri sometimes its just best to say you were wrong rather than dig the hole deeper.

Reactions: Pilgrim

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Boys have played with toys guns, bows, spears etc ever since boys were invented. That IS what boys do. Get over it people. My goodness, if this school pulled this stuff over an air soft gun I would hate to see what they would have done when I was growing up. Shoot my dad used to hunt to school, with a 16GA shot gun. Put his game in the spring house to keep it cool and his shot gun in his locker. Like many other boys did. Then after school, got his gun, the mornings game, and hunted his way how. People are just total wimps these days. What a joke this country has become. Afraid of their own shadows.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Dave Ramsey was talking about sex roles and said if you lock a boy in a room with 2 wire coat hangers you can be sure he is coming out of there with a car and a gun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Boys have played with toys guns, bows, spears etc ever since boys were invented. That IS what boys do.
Not if women and the feminized American male, and Cheri, have their way.

My goodness, if this school pulled this stuff over an air soft gun I would hate to see what they would have done when I was growing up.
You should see their reaction to a Pop Tart gun. Whew weee!

In zoology there is a term called "Display" that deals with certain animal behavior, and is linked to the survival of the species. Most people associate display with the eye-catching, loud and proud plumage of the peacоck, or the chest-beating antics of the lowland and mountain gorillas, or the growling and biting actions of the elephant seal. The male fiddler crab advertises the size of their enlarged claw to intimidate their rivals, and in the hopes that female fiddler crabs believe that big claw+big feet=equals a really big you know. There are some species or birds where the male builds the nest and then furnishes it with the latest doodads of shiny, pretty things to woo the female with his riches and provide-ability. Some of these displays are for the right to breed, as with "torunament species" such as the deer, ram sheep, bears, where they butt heads and slap each other around, but rarely does anyone actually get hurt. They are mock fighting for the right to breed, for territory, for a lot of reasons. Often it's nothing more than honing their skills and sizing one another up so that in the case they do actually need to fight, they'll know how. Survival of the species. And while growing up, they learn how to do these things by pretending with their mock fights and their play fighting."

There are a few species where the females dominate with the display behavior, such as the spotted hyena and a few others.

In the human animal (a term which makes some of you religious fundamentalists cringe, deal with it) it is a combination of both, where the females tend to be the more flamboyantly displayed in order to attract potential suitors, and then picks the male she finds the most attractive, and the males are forever battling to hone their skills to prove their worthy of being picked.

Females begin honing their skills at an early age by playing dress up and learning the skilled intricacies of teasing the males. The males begin their education by honing their skills by playing at the same competitions as many other animals, by physical fighting where nobody actually gets hurt, or by mock fighting using swords, light sabres, toy guns, and Pop Tarts with three bites removed.

Females, even adult ones, incredibly as it sounds, don't understand why males need to perform these aggressive behaviors, and thus they want to squash these instinctive tendencies, thereby forcing little boys to behave much the same as little girls. The result is generations of wimpy, sissyfied, feminize men who can't handle adversity and need to be taken care of, because they're never honed their aggressive survival skills that would teach them how to fight and survive.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Mercy sakes............................I got 5 grandsons, They enjoy the airsoft in the garage , no noise, cheap to use and ammo has not been banned yet.lol. They have been to the range and shoot other weapons there are not for frontyard shooting,lol.
Paintball shooting is fav. Lots of painted trees around here and clothes, lol. We do have helments and eyewear for that, yes a paintball will sting. I would suggest 50 foot distance on ambush, at least the paintball has slowed somewhat, lol.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Females, even adult ones, incredibly as it sounds, don't understand why males need to perform these aggressive behaviors, and thus they want to squash these instinctive tendencies, thereby forcing little boys to behave much the same as little girls. The result is generations of wimpy, sissyfied, feminize men who can't handle adversity and need to be taken care of, because they're never honed their aggressive survival skills that would teach them how to fight and survive.

You're right: we don't understand why little boys need to hone their aggressive tendencies to prepare for an adulthood in which those tendencies are [unless they go in for boxing or wrestling as a career] forbidden. Learning to accomplish one's goals without trampling on the rights [much less the heads] of others is the definition of growing up civilized, but you think boys should be exempt?
If we haven't evolved enough to prove our worth as mates and allies without beating the crap out of people, we don't deserve to survive.
And speaking of deserving, when men choose a mate based upon her physical attractiveness, they usually get what they deserve too.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a GOOD thing many women don't try to raise boys. Often when they do we end up with metrosexuals. Cheri, you are just flat wrong when it comes to raising boys. NO clue what so ever. As to picking a mate, I was raised to be a MAN, the old fashioned way, and I would say I did alright in that regard. Made it 40 years so far. Better than most.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Honestly Cheri sometimes its just best to say you were wrong rather than dig the hole deeper.

Being wrong about whether the weapon can injure someone just reinforces the stupidity of playing with it in close proximity to the school bus stop, because people who aren't familiar with what it is are likely to overreact. Considering the number of high profile shootings at schools the past few years, the sight of middle school students carrying any kind of 'guns' these days is likely to cause panic, so why ask for trouble? If the boys want to play with guns, keep them in the back yard - not so hard, is it?
I have no idea whether the school has the authority to legislate behavior off the school grounds, because that's a local decision: some do, some don't.