Scalehouse at Ofallon IL I-64 Eastbound CSVA Inspections

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
CVSA : CVSA Programs : North American Standard Level VI Inspection Program

Ive had 5 Level one inspections in 3 months, and finally got a Decal, The scale at I 64 Eastbound leaving St Louis at O'fallon IL is conducting serious CSVA Inspections. Today I was on my way to Mount Vernon IL and entered the scale when I was directed around back, There I found several Govt, appeared to be contractors, conducting Level Ones....they had a bunch of trucks with guys, gals under, over, above and In.....I passed again and I said to the Inspector, Ive had 4 inspection in three months, My truck is perfect, top shape and I think you should check someone else, Just look up my record of Inspections, He says YOULL PASS TODAY TOO THEN !!!

When I was done I asked for the decal, actually demanded it, and told him I had not been given one at any other inspection, He said they run out of them.....

If your going this way or in IL Id be ready for it, it appears to be a big push for them, and by the number of State Police, Inspectors, and Contractors they plan on getting as many as they can....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had to stop three times to get a sticker in Ca last year. They had run out. If you pass, and they don't have one you can ask the next scale to give you one. Walk in with your report. Must be in same state.

Ca gave me one Tuesday without me even asking ;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
CVSA : CVSA Programs : North American Standard Level VI Inspection Program

... The scale at I 64 Eastbound leaving St Louis at O'fallon IL is conducting serious CSVA Inspections. Today I was on my way to Mount Vernon IL and entered the scale when I was directed around back, There I found several Govt, appeared to be contractors, conducting Level Ones....

Your mention of contractors is interesting. What do you mean by "contractors?" Thinking back on our experience, we have never been inspected at a scale by anyone other than a uniformed officer. Is this something different or new?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday Same area, different rd right off the 255 I think. Portable scales set up in the right hand lane with just that lane being closed to auto traffic.
Allot of ppl and vehicles involved for sure. I believe this one was set up to blitz and grab the folks that run around the scalehouses. Seemed to be just weighting trucks and also with a couple of guys on each side of the trucks doing a rolling inspection and a wave goodbye for most. A few where pulled off to the side visiting with the officers for 1 reason or another.
Most where wearing coveralls/jump suits and maybe that would be why ya think they may have been contractors?? Alot of ppl but it appeared they all where Officers of some kind.

As far as the sticker thing..I have run into the same thing. At least 4 inspections now with the same excuse..None in stock, We are all out...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Im looking at Prepass, Dryvewyze and others because Im always legal, always...and its a waste of time dealing with this stuff....I was inspected by a Plain clothes Contractor who claimed to be a Federally Licensed Inspector, he had no name badge, no ID that I could see.....

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Prepass don't alway help, they can and do turn off the prepass to force you to weigh and or pull in for inspections.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I suggested Prepass because he's been inspected 4 times in 3 months.
I've been inspected once in over 150,000 miles on my truck.
I think OP is going into too many scales. We seldom go into a scale with a prepass system.
Of course the odds change with your carrier's history. And there is no guarantee that today won't be your day.

Don't think "I'm always legal." I used to think that. Had a front slack go bad and unexpectedly got written up. Had another truck caught on a weird wrong angle of slack adjuster to pushrod violation in Ca. ( Everything worked and was in adjustment. The angle was just wrong.)

And some LEO's get creative.
Had a top-notch gasolene tanker that caught a newspaper onto a tie-round end driving down an Interstate.
At inspection the officer said the tie round end had a little play. He normally would have let it pass put was putting unit O/S because we had tried to conceal the potential defect with a newspaper !

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Prepass is set up to pull you in on occasion. Again on your carrier's history.
I may be wrong but I think Fedex is set at 5%.
That is 1 out of 20 times. Saves a lot of time and fuel.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
being from the land of lincoln, i can tell you that the scales are set to 100% pull in probably 75% of the time. especially in southern il. on i-57

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I am ANAL about inspecting my truck, I spend allot of time working and cleaning etc, Its my thing, I know how to adjust brakes, and do most maintenance items, anything that looks suspicious etc is fixed, we have a great deal with Neely Coble down in Nashville and If I feel somethings going south the truck goes right in...but Ive had LEOs get creative once when operating a Flatbed, He couldnt find anything, and grabs my Airline/Electrical Umbilicals and says OH THESE ARE SCUFFED BADLY, they must be replaced...I looked at him with astonishment and staying polite said Hmmm what is the duty cycle of these Severe Service type 4 air and electrical lines, he looks at me and says you know I think there fine !!!!....BS MEET BS....

I got my sticker replaced today and the Guy was rather shocked as I told him I feel its a Badge of Honor and I want it on the truck....he wrote it up and gave me a new one...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ill bet if your coming down 64 into St Louis this week youll see the Crazed Inspectors with drool on there Lips trying there very best to find anything and write everyone....they have lots of room and they seem to relish the EVERY SPOT IS FULL and you wait for your turn under the Brite Lite of the MAN and his creeper....If your going thru 64 into or out of IL Im sure youll fine them Busy as bees....especially with Roadcheck, GOOD LUCK

Benmartin91

Rookie Expediter
Man i guess iam going to be hated and banished from this site but i jave been i. The trucking business since i was 15 and my father was in the business dor 35 till he passes in 2011 , i have been stopped i would say a average of 5 times a year for inspections ect . In the past 17 years of driving a truck i have ran into some

Benmartin91

Rookie Expediter
Of the best dot inspectors out there i havent had any of the horror stories yiu hear about on here or in the truck stops, i have fount that the dot are just doing there job and if your truck is in order and well matiened then you have no problems.. Also i think it depends on how you talk to them as they approach your window , you give s&$: then u get s:)$.. Maybe the problems are that some drivers expirence are compounded by their attitude.. I think they have a job to do. If they find something wrong with your truck and pat you on the back and send you down the road and say a tie rod end breaks and you kill yourself co driver and a family in oncoming traffic , i believe it would be placed not only on your company but on the officer as well.. I think they catch alot of crap but hey also have a crap job to do.. Just my thoughts