reliable truck

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Oh come on Dave the truck has only been down seven weeks out of sixty weeks, not counting oil changes. I think my truck is just on it's own hours of service breaks. I am just trying to get my mandatory rest break to coincide with the trucks. But I have a hard time sleeping that long. Heck my truck has even taught itself some tricks, it Plays dead. Must try to get it to behave, it keeps wetting the ground(fuel leak)

Jim

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe if you spank it with a tire iron it will start to behave. 7 weeks out of 60 is pretty sad. I don't think I have had 7 weeks in the last four years on my truck. One afternoon for a blown alternator.
Everything else was just scheduled maintenance when we were home.
Davekc

truckwife

Expert Expediter
tenten
My husband and I really appreciate all the feedback you kind people have so generously offered on this subject. We feel this is just too great of a risk for us to persue. I think he has pretty well resigned himself to either work towards getting a KW or Western Star. He feels the dependability will be worth the extra cost.

Thanks So Much

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
M2's with the MB engine

I have four of them so far. A 2003 a 2004 and 2 2005's. We have had some minor problems with getting failure code messages on the truck that cannot be found once in the shop. The 2003 has about 200K miles and runs like a scalded rabbit. The 2004 is the one getiing strange code messages. The 2005's are only about three weeks old at this point, and seem to have code message problems, problems with the air conditioning, and both have had emergency repairs involving a fitting for the release of air pressure on the air tanks. However we vack in the late '80's we owned some of the old Mercedes Benz straight trucks. Each truck ran over 650,000 miles with only minor repairs. We are hopeful that these engines will prove as reliable.
Freightliner does have a problem with dealers not stocking simple things like oil and air filters. I have my drivers pickup three at a time, and carry them on the truck. Then oil changes can be preformed by any dealer or other oil change companies.

I hope this info helps you out.

Tom Robertson
A. Blair Enterprises

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Any driver I have ran into over the past year that has the M2 has had problems. Some I have known the year and some not. I have yet to see a positive review on this truck. Maybe it is better with a cat or cummins engine? Seems like freightliner has had their hands full with all the listed problems.
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay so here is what was repaired Fuel high pressure line/transfer tube leaking. Found transfer tube o ring deteriorated.

5410170324 Transf. Tube
9060701433 Line

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Seems like a premature failure? What year truck is your?
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Interestering posts. in the past I have owned 2 Mercedes Benz units. One was a 1986 ,1117 and the other one was a 1991 ,1319.As Tom said you simply could not kill these trucks.They were designed to handle roads and conditions in Africa the Middle East Asia and so on. They were a bear to work on but never needed much work,so I am dismayed to hear about all of the M2 engine problems. I guess Freightliner has done what they all do,bring a product out too soon. Test tracks are one thing,the real world is another..:7

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The truck is a 2004.
The first time the they touched those parts was when they tried to fix the "hunting" problem at idle, it was showing low pressure on one or more injectors. Then removing them to do tests another time for the same problem. Last Winter the lines leaked in VT. had to be towed to Albany NY. Down for 7 days waiting on new lines, and now this time.
The engine field rep from MD said that they were having problems after they touch the fuel system (well no shlt) they are going to stock the new lines (better gripping ability) and replace them as needed after they touch the fuel system.
That's one way to get you to buy Extended Warranty next time.

Jim