reliable truck

truckwife

Expert Expediter
We are looking at a m2 112 10spd auto shift mercedes benz.This is a 2004 full white glove spec's.This is listed with alumi-bunk.We would like to know if anyone knows if this size engine is reliable or if it gives good service.Thanks for your reply.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Well here goes, I can only tell you what my friends are saying about there M2. Service has been a problem. Simply items like oil changes and filter changes have caused them lost time and revenue. Sorry for this type of report, but anything unique in trucking that differs from the usual Cat, Cummins, etc. seems to throw everyone into a tizzy! It will get better, only because it can't get any worse! There is a reason you see Cat and Cummins equipped vehicles gobbled up first, there easy to get serviced! So be careful and research your favorite truck repair facilities to see if they want to tackle your unique combination.

truckwife

Expert Expediter
Thanks so much for your fast reply.That info helped us change our thoughts on that purchase right quick!Kenworth dealership can have us a t-2000 with white glove specs straight box built,but it will be jan.or feb before its ready.I quess we need to be patience and wait on the best.My husband has been driving otr and I've been out of trucking for a good while taking care of family.We are thinking about driving for a owner operater until we get our own truck.Thanks again for the info.If you have anymore thoughts on this please feel free to educate us.:)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
What KW Dealership? Most of the "experts in expediting units" have left KW.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hey wait a minute....I am in a KW.:)
On a serious note; if you go to a t2000, make sure it is speced correctly so you are not over weight on the front axle. I think this is an issue with the petes as well. Most of the correction seems to take place by moving the fuel tanks back on the frame. If going new, make sure they set it up on a computer so you will be ok. M & M in orlando does alot of the petes.
Davekc

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>What KW Dealership? Most of the "experts in expediting
>units" have left KW.
>
>Lawrence,
>Expediters Online.com

and other places.DD. ;)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Dave,

Nothing against KW. In fact you don't just have a "KW" you have an "Award-Winning KW".:eek:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Expedite_Expo/2004/IMG_0237.jpg

http://www.expeditersonline.com/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Expedite_Expo/2004/IMG_0132.jpg

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I will be new to Expediting on Oct 12 my new KW T-300 is scheduled to be ready for pick up Fort Wayne Truck Center you can call Mike Moss at 800 234 7712. Man has been excellent to work with. Took a rookie like me and has explained everything to me (taking time to do so). For the little more in price it has been worth it. The man knows Expediting and Expediting Trucks. Local dealers in N.C. are clueless. Drove up north to search for more dealers and only one other had any knowledge the one South of Detroit very nice people just felt the K.W. was a much better value. I cannot wait to share more good stories with this forum.

truckwife

Expert Expediter
Has anyone ever heard of the western star having problems being over weight on the front axle since this is an issue with kw and pete? thanks for your reply.:)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ask GEO ( George),he used to have a big Western Star he used it as a C Truck but he could probably tell you about the weight issues.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am in the "living room" of my new Sterling D unit. It is the Acterra with 300hp/860tq Mercedes engine and auto transmission. This truck has the highest J.D.Power owner satisfaction rating of any medium duty truck. This one has a Bentz sleeper and to say it's NICE! is barely scratching the surface.

Jon Mosier at Freightliner of Knoxville is the man to talk to. Their number is 800-443-2324. They have several used units in stock as well as another new unit like mine. They also do the Sprinter van set up for expediting. I am extremely pleased with the quality of both product and service. Check with Jon before you do anything. You won't regret it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Those new sterlings are nice. Wife is really interested if I can get a stretched version with a shower ect. Not sure on a mercedes engine though.
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
>Those new sterlings are nice. Wife is really interested if I
>can get a stretched version with a shower ect. Not sure on a
>mercedes engine though.
>Davekc

Only time will tell for the MB engine, After the hunting problem was "kinda" solved on mine, the MB seems to do OK.I have 122K on it so it just now got broke in. Alot more boring driving across PA. on I-80 with a load, no shifting, the only thing that keeps you alert is passing almost all the other trucks on the hills.

Are you sure you could handle all the extra cab space.:+

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They have had numerous problems with the Mercedes engine but it seems limited to the M2's not the Sterlings. Not sure why. I like the Sterling cab but like my sleeper over the Benz 96. Not sure how sound the Sterling cab is either. Haven't seen too many of them out there.
Davekc

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Hey Dave...

Ok.. I was bored, with too much time on my hands, and too little skill to do the job right..LOL... what ya think tho? maybe with the cab painted to match the sleeper?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think that is a cool picture. You may have the wife sold on that with some red paint. With the kw's being so reliable it would be tough to change. With the Sterlings though, the jury is still out on how they hold up ect. I wouldn't mind the extra cab room!
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I spoke to soon Got towed again another fuel leak around the engine. fixed in 24 hours and on the way home.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That doesn't sound good. Did they forget to tighten something down or was this a new problem? Might be of interest to the folks that already have that engine.
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
This is the second time for this repair. There is a problem with the lines that are around the pumps and PLD(?) that are coming loose and need to be replaced. There is a kit that the dealers are going to stock so they fix em as they get towed in. As soon as they send me the repair Paper work will try and post what was done by part number and name.

The first time it let go was -4 F in Vt. can you say the word COLD. It took about 6 days to get the parts and have me running again.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
waiting six days for parts is crazy. Freightliner should be ashamed. There is no excuse for that kind of garbage. I hope some of their people read these posts and wake up to the fact that there has to be service after the sale. Seems like they are struggling to understand this concept.
Davekc