Rand McNally TND 700

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
The TND device does have a issue with certain laptops. Period. Is it the TND, I think not. Too many are able to connect with 64 bit and 32 bit machines.

I am not going to keep posting reply's. You two are having a merry time with this and I have other things to do.

Rand is aware of the issue and is trying to find the cause.

I do not mean to sound rude about this, you both give good cases, but I do not have an electronics shop here. Rand is getting what they can from the users, so vague data is available.

No matter what I post you two seem to take great pleasure in posting books. So, say what you may.

If a user posts an issue here or would like to E-mail me then I will work with them.

I consider the issue pending with the TND 700 until Rand can determine the cause.

Mark

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know it isn't we are having a merry time at your expense, it is we are trying to help. I don't want no one to bow down to me, just engage all of us with an open mind.

It gets frustrating to read someone's reply who blames every thing for the problem but where the problem is.

It is like we are attacking your child, which is the danger a lot of testers get into because they get so wrapped up into it. Why do you think I don't own any of this 'stuff' that I test? I read some of the defensive things said and just can't get how people are attached to these devices - like apple products (I think people are programmed when they buy iPhones).

It is people like Bob and others who I really care about and want to help. People who are stuck with not having a unit work that they paid good money to own and use being hung out to dry.

It is not a refection on you but RM. I used to do contracted support right after I was laid off in 2003, so I know what it is all about to have a customer get frustrated with a stupid issue. Because I did it in a manner of being a customer advocate, I am critical of companies who just don't get it with product design and support.

My report isn't mine to give out, it won't tell you anything new that you didn't read here.

I had a conversation with some clown at RM, nothing to do with the project but rather management. He got me the answer I was seeking from you and I made it clear what missteps were obvious on the project, not saying a word about you and your efforts which are good. However I did tell him what the possible fix was and he is passing it along.

By the way, RM sent me those units that died, they are not my client but they are the distribution source.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
I am not placing the blame solely on the laptops. I am going with this with an very open mind.

You are deadset that it is the TND fault.

I cannot see the link between a few certain Laptops versus the laptops that work.

If it was an TND issue the result would be a more wider range of laptops. In fact a major concern.

It is just curious that certain newer laptops have this issue.

It is the brand - nope. could be related to models. Do not know at this point in time.

I have posted many times that Rand is not leaving users to hang out to dry. Their are two folders that are 20mb compressed that can be send to any user to update their TND. I do this all the time to update units here or if a user is on a Mac.

The issue you saw was not the issue at hand. It was flash corruption.

The TND was build to USB standards. (let's not go there either)

I felt you two have attacked me from all fronts, and have a closed deadset mind that the TND is a flawed device. Not once have you really listened to what I have said. Instead you have taken what I said and attacked it more.

Instead of attacking me, give me good ideas since you two seem to know so much on how one can narrow this down. But, remember you have almost no access to a users computer, just the model number. I cannot look at chipsets nor take the users computer apart. It is like a black box. You take the inputs and outputs and determine what is in the black box if you have taken electronics.

Mark

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Hey Mark,
I think your doing a great job as a beta tester and Rand McNally seems to really care about getting there product right. All new products are going to have problems and errors. You should be commended for doing a great job.

But, you and Greg and Turtle are making my brain hurt:(:cool:
I'm gonna have to tune out on this pizzing match

Last edited:

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Does anybody have an T5C or T7C that shows connected on the TND screen, but the TND Dock shows it not connected?

The T5C or T7C is shown in the serial number on the back of the TND.

I would like you to E-Mail me.

Thanks,
Mark

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not placing the blame solely on the laptops. I am going with this with an very open mind.

Good to hear.

You are deadset that it is the TND fault.

I cannot see the link between a few certain Laptops versus the laptops that work.

Yes, for a lot of reasons which seem to be clear to others. IT can be a great product but it is an OTS unit like a number of others.

I can see the problem, it is a power issue and it isn't about the USB port.

If it was an TND issue the result would be a more wider range of laptops. In fact a major concern.

It is just curious that certain newer laptops have this issue.

Not really, there is a standard and those laptops may not meet the standard but on the other hand if the product was functioning properly, it would not have any issue. Read the standard, you will understand what we are both saying.

It is the brand - nope. could be related to models. Do not know at this point in time.

You may not be aware how the laptop scene works. It is surprising.

I have posted many times that Rand is not leaving users to hang out to dry.

Actually they have by shoving the product into the retail channels (the shelves) too soon without proper testing. I won't get into it because I learned a lot today about the unit and will end up revealing who I talked to.

Their are two folders that are 20mb compressed that can be send to any user to update their TND. I do this all the time to update units here or if a user is on a Mac.

BUT the unit shouldn't have to have workarounds, just as if it should not have to be a windows only unit, too many assumptions and cheap engineering going on.

The issue you saw was not the issue at hand. It was flash corruption.

Actually it wasn't. I found out what caused them to die and it was pretty interesting.

The TND was build to USB standards. (let's not go there either)

It may be 'built' to the standards but not 'designed' to the standards.

I felt you two have attacked me from all fronts, and have a closed deadset mind that the TND is a flawed device. Not once have you really listened to what I have said. Instead you have taken what I said and attacked it more.

First it isn't personal, and second because you are not listening to what either of us are saying, you are forming your opinion around your experience at your level only and taking the word of those who are not looking at all the possibilities. From what you initially said, they are looking at hubs and laptops and so on but no mention of measuring current draw or looking at how the thing switches power internally (HINT).

To me it is like there is a consultant who is being paid T&M (good money) to produce a product for a market with vague standards of what the end user expects. They have a flaw that they found after they produce the product but doesn't want to admit to the customer that they have made a mistake, and seem to blame everyone else but themselves for the problems. This is what it looks like on the outside. You don't have a choice, you follow their lead and can't do much other than what you are told to do.

By the way, the end user standards have come to accept things that don't work and in todays world, it is these standards that allow cheap and crap gadgets on the market. If something costs $400, it should be more than just feature rich, it should be dependable.

Instead of attacking me, give me good ideas since you two seem to know so much on how one can narrow this down. But, remember you have almost no access to a users computer, just the model number. I cannot look at chipsets nor take the users computer apart. It is like a black box. You take the inputs and outputs and determine what is in the black box if you have taken electronics.

Ah but we did, a lot of times. You may be right about the power at the USB port but you are wrong that it is the laptops.

So here is a more detailed solution.

1- RM can change out the USB/power cable. It should cost them $3 per unit to do this. The cable is called a USB power cable with two male USB jacks that plug into the laptop and one into the unit. These can be made will all different connectors on them, A/B/mini.

2 - RM can have the unit redesigned to take power from the charger (separate port) and not the USB side. Doing it right will cause the unit not to take parasitic power off the USB port for any reason but shift it to the battery when disconnected from the charger where it should have been in the first place. If you notice one of the complaints is even if the battery was fully charged, it still would not work - HINT.

The second one is the best but the first one should work.

NO powered hubs, no new laptops, no users calling up and asking for updates but rather a good dependable product.

If RM can't get a grip on the issues and stand up to admit there is an issue with their product, that is their fault, not yours.

Last edited:

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Item 1 - did not work. I mentioned this is a prior post.
Item 2 - was tried in a test setting. But, needs to be retested as the cable may have been wrong in the test.

Mark

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK with the millions of lines of words, I forgot that, but nevertheless, it still shows a problem with the unit because between two ports, there should be enough current to drive the unit.

But I asked this before, if it didn't work, how was it setup?

Was there current measurements taken at the ports with something more than a DVM?

Was there a consideration to use an external power source that replaced the VCC lines on the USB cable while the unit was plugged into the laptop? AND I don't mean a powered hub.

Did anyone think of using an adapter to replace the VCC line from the laptop USB port so the charger can be used at the same time?

Number two wasn't tried from what I was told by RM. It was designed to be a parasitic unit on the USB port only and the person was surprised that no one thought about it.

If number two was tested in a "test setting", then there should be some documentation on what was the reason why they went down the path with this flaw. I don't think it was even considered.

Didn't anyone think that the backlighting of the LCD unit would draw more on the 7 inch than the 5?

Well there are the follow ups, good luck with them.

Maybe RM should hire Turtle to fix the problem.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
1. You take the two USB A ends and connect them to the computer USB ports, then you take the USB mini end and plug it into the TND. Gee,,, I hope I got that right... But, you have to be aware that not all laptops have two USB ports side by side. You need a maxium of 4" between ports to use this cable.

2. I do not know the setup that Rand used, but my DVM will read current without a current probe.

3. Number two was tried, but as mentioned the wrong pins may have been used. Pins 1\5 instead of 1\4 and 5. This will be retested.

4. I do not know whom you talked to, but test 2 was done about a week ago.

All the above testing has been done in the past two weeks.

5. The TND 700 power cord now has pin 4 (gnd) tied to pin 5 (shield gnd) in the new design that is in production for the backlight.

mark

Last edited:

TheCynic

Expert Expediter
129132530697817181.jpg

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The newer computers, for some reason have decreased the mA output of the USB ports. The TND 700 requires more mA than the port can support. This was not know before and just have come to light the past month or so. Rand cannot check their TND's on every brand of computer\laptop their is.

I'm not a techie kind of guy, but I am the type of guy that would be a consumer of this product and the above statement says quite a bit to me. Rand "can't" test on every brand of 'puter? Bullcrap! This says that doing complete R and D is just too much bother. Let's just grab a couple of machines we have easy access to and see what happens.

This is an interesting thread to follow, but the above statement and the spin that the "Lead Beta Tester", who seems to have some kind of Mother Theresa complex, is putting on this problem really puts Rand in a less than favorable light. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1. You take the two USB A ends and connect them to the computer USB ports, then you take the USB mini end and plug it into the TND. Gee,,, I hope I got that right... But, you have to be aware that not all laptops have two USB ports side by side. You need a maxium of 4" between ports to use this cable.

Dude, This is hilarious, sorry but it is.

pleeze, the engineers should be able to throw together a few test cables in an hour or so. If not, call Tyco and have them figure it out and Tyco will send them cables that have more than 4" between the laptop ends.

You do know who Tyco is?

2. I do not know the setup that Rand used, but my DVM will read current without a current probe.

ASK. You are on the front lines and they should be able to tell you. By the by it was a sarcastic comment. If they are testing anything in the right manner, then they already have a method for measuring current. BUT before they even have approved the design, I would have thought they would have followed what is considered a MUST DO and measured the current of the proto-types and recorded the measurements to see if they were within specs of the requirements?

By the way, my digi USB board measures current and voltage for all of the USB lines right at the port, I get accurate measurements and can even limit the port current and voltage.

Sounds like they are all held up in a closet with dim lighting and laptops all over the place guessing at what to do.

3. Number two was tried, but as mentioned the wrong pins may have been used. Pins 1\5 instead of 1\4 and 5. This will be retested.

Sorry but it seems a bit impossible. The unit has to be redesigned to remove the paths for the voltage to the power control from the USB port on the circuit board, not the port. I would think that if they can't figure out the source of the problem, then they may not be good enough to work with tools and read a schematic.

On the other hand, if you are talking about my number one comment, then OK they failed.

4. I do not know whom you talked to, but test 2 was done about a week ago.

All the above testing has been done in the past two weeks.

Some guy who is in upper or mid management, has a lot of pull there, I don't know because I never asked and he called me. I know information from poorly run teams doesn't travel up because there is the fear factor involved. It took him two hours to get what I asked for and he wasn't happy about someone dragging their feet.

5. The TND 700 power cord now has pin 4 (gnd) tied to pin 5 (shield gnd) in the new design that is in production for the backlight.

Why does that matter? My point is some backlighting of large displays pull a lot of current and spec'ing the wrong display is an easy fix.

The HP guy and one of my former collgues want to know something - is this a problem with the competitor's 7" units too?

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
You know.. I do not have a complex. But, somehow thousands of computers can "talk" to the T5C and the T7C, but a few select models cannot. All but one of the Beta Testers on a 64 Bit Win7 can "talk" with no issues. Several users have had to use a Power USB hub and now they "talk" fine.

If the TND 700 had an issue then it would be commonplace on all machines.

No matter what is found, I am sure you will be the first to place the blame back on Rand.

As for testing on every brand\model\configuration - it is impossible.

I am sure every device made to connect to an USB port connects fine and no one has to return a product. But, I am sure that each and every USB device was tested on every brand\model\configuration also.

Mark

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
As for testing on every brand\model\configuration - it is impossible.

Mark

Being that I drive a truck for a living and cannot commit 24/7 to research such issues, I made a couple calls to a couple 13 year olds who are quite proficcient in such matters. Anyhooooo.....they made a couple calls to a couple of folks who are informed in such matters.
Ended up there are literally 100's - 1000's of reported cases of incompatibility issues with various hardware that involve USB devices and Win7 64 bit. I did a quickie look at google and theve got 1000's of threads talking about the EXACT same issue your device is having.
So take a little comfort in the fact that you're deffintly not alone with this partriccular problem.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Ok I m not a geek whats the difference in using a usb power hub instead of pluging straight into the usb port on the laptop?? still have a couple weeks before my 30 day return time limit runs out, so will consider buying usb power hub, unless I can find someone that has one that will let me try it first to see if it works

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Ok I m not a geek whats the difference in using a usb power hub instead of pluging straight into the usb port on the laptop?? still have a couple weeks before my 30 day return time limit runs out, so will consider buying usb power hub, unless I can find someone that has one that will let me try it first to see if it works

A power hub will supply 500mA to the device. Your USB ports will provide 100mA upon hookup, but if more is needed then the device has to call to the port for more mA.

mA = current.

Question is... what model number of TND do you have? it is on the back of the TND, (serial number).

Is your TND Dock not seeing your TND when connected?

Is your computer a 64 Bit, Win7 laptop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To say that I haven't listened to what you are saying is perhaps a bit disingenuous. Not only have I listened intently, I've listened intently enough to pick up on the many inconsistencies and some of the conclusions that have been draw that are based on assumption, illusory corollary, and on a very small data set. I can understand the loyalty a beta tester slash tech support has to the product they are testing and supporting. If the passion wasn't there for the product, they would be a really bad choice for the job. But blind loyalty in either beta test or tech support is a bad, bad, bad thing without also having an open mind in order to be able to see the problems at hand. Otherwise you end up with virtual workarounds that mirror the pic above.

Have I attacked you instead of listening to you with an open mind? Newp. It was in addition to listening to you. But when you keep on pounding away at the ridiculous of reduced mA USB outputs and data bus issues and mysteriously unnamed laptop brands and other stuff that make zero sense, you really kind of leave yourself hanging out there to be bіtch-slapped a little bit. But, I'm still more interested in the issue, not who is at fault, but at tracking it down. At early stages of trying to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem, I could care less who is at fault, all I care about is tracking it down and being able to replicate it 100% every time. That's how bizarre quirks in BIOS's are found, how design flaws are found, and how they are addressed and corrected.

I've seen some truly odd things dealing with computers and peripherals. Imagine trying to troubleshoot a USB port #1 that is DOA if something is plugged into USB port #2, but it works perfectly fine if you have a microphone plugged into the microphone jack, and then to be able to figure out that the actual 100% reproducible cause of the problem is a conflict between a video driver and a mouse driver. And imagine figuring all that out while not having a computer that has the problem.

Like Greg said, the TD 700 was built to standards, but it wasn't designed to standards, and there's a big difference. Built to standards means the individual components are all to standard, but designed to means that they all get along and play well together, work together within the standards for things like internal power management and power switching between components, which the TND 700 has some issues with. One glaring evidence of that is when the screen freezes, especially in the midst of a bunch of rapid successive turns, yet the voice directions continue to work, and then a minute or two later the screen unfreezes. That's not a software mapping and routing issue, that's a hardware power management issue.

But a hardware design flaw still doesn't explain away why it works with some laptops and not others, especially if the ones it won't work with are new, and running 32-bit Windows 7. I also know that it won't work on some Macs, but then identical Macs with a different version of the same OS, it'll work fine. That's an OS issue, not a hardware issue. And the fact that when it won't work, you can get it to work by using a powered hub. These three things point in a direction other than the TND 700 being at faul, especially the powered hub thing, not because the hub is externally powered, but because of how IRQ's are distributed to the USB ports, and are then distributed again to the ports on the hub itself, and then how the OS handles the IO addresses of each. Even despite a design flaw in the TND 700, of which there is one, I'm still inclined to blame the 64-bit Windows 7 for the problem.

TheCynic

Expert Expediter
The problem being Microsoft its the most plausible I've heard yet.

Microsoft has a history of not getting it right on the first try, all the way back to DOS; released (fixed): 1.0 (1.1), 2.0 (2.1), 3.0 (3.1), 3.2 (3.3), and so on...

Today it's just "windows update" and "Service Packs" instead of major and minor version numbers, and SP2 seems to be the magic number.

Always remember:

A stable, secure version of Windows is in our future and always will be.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mark,

It seems as I said before, you are talking about TWO different issues and deflecting one by shifting to the other.

Power issue has nothing to do with the laptops and their ability to communicate with the product.

The units don't have enough power from the USB port to run, which is considered parasitic power.

The solution is to provide external power, your hub suggestion not just proves everything I am saying, it backs the redesign solution 100%.

These are issues that RM's management should be aware of and I am not talking about project managers but the sponsors of the project and upper management to mitigate losses.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I have the TND 700 brand new out of the box less than 2 weeks ago I connect to the usb port the laptop says unkown usb device is connected to the computer and the TND dock does not show the TND is connected to the dock. Don't know how long it has been sitting on the J shelf before I bought it