Progressive raising rates

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It might, but remember FMCSA did away with the freight insurance requierment in 2010. If there is no mandate to carry insurance why should they, and as long as we have shipers who live the Walmart cheap prices mentality we will always have the fly by night carriers and those who will exploit the inexperianced.

Whole the vehicle may not legally be required to carry cargo. The "carrier" they are pulling for that day has most likely signed a contract stating they have cargo insurance. Most likely on the amount of 100k. Borderline fraud in my opinion. I have seen some sign contracts that require 100k and then I read online that they require their vehicles to get their own cargo but only 20k?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ill admit CIS had allot of basis covered Id still be with them the only reason I changed is the freight coverage and being based in N.Y.S. and thier regs. I was asked if I needed all these extras and I said match up the business, truck, and what my customer needs. They did it and befoer the increased freight coverage took affect I saved a couple hundred. Not bad, and Erie is preaty good about dealing with claims as long as its all legit.

Remember the state you are based in, driving, safety records, and creddit reports are used in determining your rates.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
jelliot.
Yep, Ive seen the same thing too thats why I typicaly place a $1.00 per pound $10,000.00 max limit on shippers and carriers. I also require documentation showing the value if they declare a higher value, as well as like everyone I document everything if the freight is not perfect.

Bob Wolf.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just hoping from my angle it helps cut down the incoming vanners by increasing the initial start up costs....anything will help.

I'd love to see a headline one day in regards to expedite like this...

The container shipping industry is at a crossroads where cargo interests must choose between paying higher rates for value-added service, or contending with another round of consolidation as carriers merge to survive,

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I am sorry if it hurts guys like you but from my perspective,
MAYBE we will get rid of SOME of the .85 cent runners....

Doesn't hurt me at all. My policy renews in march and my rate only jumped $17 a month. As far as getting rid of .85 cent runners, I am all in favor of that. Nothing would help us vanners more than budget carriers like Panther, Express 1 and FedEx gettin out of van expediting. Seeing that these carriers all have a van base rate of 85 cent or less they are the ones you are referring too, right?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesn't hurt me at all. My policy renews in march and my rate only jumped $17 a month. As far as getting rid of .85 cent runners, I am all in favor of that. Nothing would help us vanners more than budget carriers like Panther, Express 1 and FedEx gettin out of van expediting. Seeing that these carriers all have a van base rate of 85 cent or less they are the ones you are referring too, right?

I have always held the belief that with most carriers what they pay drivers has little to do with what they actually book loads for.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I agree with Xiggi...But no, not really...I am speaking of the ALL IN .85 runners....the carriers you speak of are all around $1.00 ALL IN......

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No the carriers I speak of are most of them. Paying lower might allow them to book at lower prices if needed but is no gaurentee.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I agree with Xiggi...But no, not really...I am speaking of the ALL IN .85 runners....the carriers you speak of are all around $1.00 ALL IN......

.85 all in or $1.00 all in are both cheap rates paid by budget carriers that are driving the rates down.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
No the carriers I speak of are most of them. Paying lower might allow them to book at lower prices if needed but is no gaurentee.

might and no guarantee are key words here.

I seriously dough carriers lower their standards just cuz they have vanners that run cheap.

fastrod

Expert Expediter

So your saying that these carriers are booking most van loads at $1.75 to $2.00 per mile and then paying $1.00 a mile to the vanners. That would mean that the rates are not down as everyone believes they are. Makes ya think that if your runnin for a company that pays percentage and offers you a $1.00 a mile rate that maybe their one of the ones driving the rates down.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The multi carrier model definitely has an effect on carriers and the small shipment market. Throws the supply/demand curve off. As well they often operate (insurance for instance) with greatly reduced cost structures due to no infrastructure. You have no 24 hour coverage, no safety department, often greatly reduced insurance coverages. We often see them brokering with no brokerage authority or bonds....the list goes on and on.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So your saying that these carriers are booking most van loads at $1.75 to $2.00 per mile and then paying $1.00 a mile to the vanners. That would mean that the rates are not down as everyone believes they are. Makes ya think that if your runnin for a company that pays percentage and offers you a $1.00 a mile rate that maybe their one of the ones driving the rates down.

Did I say anything about an actual rate? Simply saying just because someone pays x per mile doesn't mean they are bidding low on all loads. I just don't automatically assume that low pay means low rates it is not a given. Is it likely they do? Sure it could be true I'm just trying not to jump to conclusions without proof. I am not privy to that info.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Did I say anything about an actual rate? Simply saying just because someone pays x per mile doesn't mean they are bidding low on all loads. I just don't automatically assume that low pay means low rates it is not a given. Is it likely they do? Sure it could be true I'm just trying not to jump to conclusions without proof. I am not privy to that info.

I've been to numerous shippers that have told me flat out they can get a Panther van for $1.24 per mile. That's what leads me to believe that their driving down rates.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've been to numerous shippers that have told me flat out they can get a Panther van for $1.24 per mile. That's what leads me to believe that their driving down rates.

Don't worry, they make it up in other ways. A friend of mine faked a load, so he could get a quote from Panther. FL to CA was $4/mi for a D unit. I wonder how many saps they get for that price.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Then you have info I don't have. I am not in a position to ask shippers what they are paying.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Don't worry, they make it up in other ways. A friend of mine faked a load, so he could get a quote from Panther. FL to CA was $4/mi for a D unit. I wonder how many saps they get for that price.

I'm sure they do. My point is that everyone blames the small carriers for low rates when the larger carriers are more to blame.