Progressive raising rates

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well the rate hike wasn't that bad initially. It just went up around 60 dollars. So once I get a younger driver on my policy the rate will go back down to 250 dollars a month. But for people starting new companies, the rates are really high. I've given up on the whole carrier thing. I'm tired of being a psychiatrist. When you have 60 cargo van drivers calling you day and night and every single one of them wants to talk, and talk, and talk. Man it can get pretty crazy! I had drivers that would call in to the main line at 2 AM just to ask some dumb question, and if no one answers they get all freaked out like the whole company is shutting down. I never call companies at 2 AM unless i'm under a load and I need directions or i'm providing an update. Some drivers want to sit there and ask so many questions about a load offer and by they time they are done deciding on whether ot not they want the load the load disappears from the screen! lol. I think that being a driver of 1 truck will give you less stress and you will make the same amount of money as a guy working 24/7 trying to load up 60 cargo vans! So lets not worry about the higher cost of insurance. You guys have entered the Obama Age! Remember the Myans predicted the end of the world for December 2012 - well the end of the expedite world is upon us lol! J/K!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As John said...sounds like a risk assessment study came in and Progressive seen their risk was too high....after all we only see the tip of the iceberg in EO...We can't know how much claims have jumped in this category....This could be a very good thing for the vanning industry down the road....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Progressive wants to go out from this segment.It is so simple. Because of this, CIS lost a lot of business and they will loose more.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
Progressive wants to go out from this segment.It is so simple. Because of this, CIS lost a lot of business and they will loose more.

Is that really true?

Cuz I got no problem leaving them if I'll find someone cheaper.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
You not gonna find. I called 15 insurance companies. They not doing it cheaper , they not insure you period. So if you have an insurance now DO NOT cancel it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Read the policy. Sometimes insurance is cheaper because they charge what it's worth.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Funny..........ours went up 240 on one driver because he had a speeding ticket. The rest stayed the same. At least at the moment, we are good until next January. We pay ours for the year for the fleet all at one time. I guess time will tell next year.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well the market had to "straighten out" at some point. An individual was able to get insurance at a cheaper rate than a carrier buying in bulk? It was a model that was not likely to last.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try an Erie Insurance agent If it helps I can give you my agent all they need is your declaration sheet showing your coverages to give you a quote.

Bob Wolf

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
And there in lies the difference. There is cheaper. It comes down to what EXACTLY is covered and in what amounts? Some are looking for the cheapest and there is much more to look at.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am sorry if it hurts guys like you but from my perspective,
MAYBE we will get rid of SOME of the .85 cent runners....

It might, but remember FMCSA did away with the freight insurance requierment in 2010. If there is no mandate to carry insurance why should they, and as long as we have shipers who live the Walmart cheap prices mentality we will always have the fly by night carriers and those who will exploit the inexperianced.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It might, but remember FMCSA did away with the freight insurance requierment in 2010. If there is no mandate to carry insurance why should they, and as long as we have shipers who live the Walmart cheap prices mentality we will always have the fly by night carriers and those who will exploit the inexperianced.
But didn't Blizzard post the amount of bond coverage was increased?.....
yes there will always be the fly by nighters...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The brokerage bond requirement is being raised from 10k to 75k later this year.