Portable Generator deals/for sale? Best a/c unit?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
harbor freight has the predator portable 2200/2500W similar in style/look and supposedly same specs? as the honda eu2000i on sale. $499.00

2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III
Not really the same specs. It's 125cc versus the Honda's 98.5cc, which is why it's 30% louder, uses 30% more fuel, and weighs 40% more. It's also hardwired for permanent Eco Mode, which causes serious problems for refrigerator and air conditioners. It's stated wattages are high by about 300 Watts, according to bench measurements. It's really 1900 Watts, and will trip overload at surge 2100 Watts. It's output performance is considerably worse when gasoline containing ethanol is used.

It has a 90 day warranty, versus the 3 year warranty of the Honda.

For occasional use, like in a power outage situation at home, working with power tools in the far corner of the back yard, or the occasional weekend camping or boating trip, you know, like 100 hours a year, it's probably fine and you can't beat the price. But for long term, reliable daily use, I have my doubts.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really the same specs. It's 125cc versus the Honda's 98.5cc, which is why it's 30% louder, uses 30% more fuel, and weighs 40% more. It's also hardwired for permanent Eco Mode, which causes serious problems for refrigerator and air conditioners. It's stated wattages are high by about 300 Watts, according to bench measurements. It's really 1900 Watts, and will trip overload at surge 2100 Watts. It's output performance is considerably worse when gasoline containing ethanol is used.

It has a 90 day warranty, versus the 3 year warranty of the Honda.

For occasional use, like in a power outage situation at home, working with power tools in the far corner of the back yard, or the occasional weekend camping or boating trip, you know, like 100 hours a year, it's probably fine and you can't beat the price. But for long term, reliable daily use, I have my doubts.
Hence the (?), lol. I'm not sure nor informed/educated of them or any for that matter (yet). Thinkin imma just finally quit pissin around and do the honda, plain n simply the best by the many of people whom have recommended it to date as I sit in the Laredo sweltering heat and the Az. a week or so ago was MISERABLE!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My position is, there are a lot of ways to do things on the cheap out here, and as with most things you usually get what you pay for. So anything that I need to rely on and to be as trouble-free as possible for the longest term, I generally won't skimp.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got 2 Honda 2000 watts and it gives me 3200 watts. Was going to get the 3000 but really don't think there that much louder. I could be wrong.

I'm old fashion. I believe that if your going to do something do it right. Now if your in Laredo and if you need a quick generator then go to Lowe's and get one for a short period. Always get a Honda!

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 2 Honda 2000 watts and it gives me 3200 watts. Was going to get the 3000 but really don't think there that much louder. I could be wrong.

I'm old fashion. I believe that if your going to do something do it right. Now if your in Laredo and if you need a quick generator then go to Lowe's and get one for a short period. Always get a Honda!

The 3000 is subjectively more quiet. The larger engine has a deeper tone that is less frantic and more soothing. It may also be running at less rpm's.

Regarding "Always get a Honda"...

The same is true of my Yamaha 2400ishc. It's got a171cc engine and is extremely quiet and mellow. Plus, the Yamaha's have a cast iron cylinder liner and overhead valve design. Yamaha has a longer engine life rating than Honda. Can't go wrong with either but, I'm partial to my Yamaha. Rated at 2,000 watts continuous, 2400 surge, I've measured 3250 watts output running microwave and 60amp aux battery charger without issue.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The 3000 is subjectively more quiet. The larger engine has a deeper tone that is less frantic and more soothing. It may also be running at less rpm's.

Regarding "Always get a Honda"...

The same is true of my Yamaha 2400ishc. It's got a171cc engine and is extremely quiet and mellow. Plus, the Yamaha's have a cast iron cylinder liner and overhead valve design. Yamaha has a longer engine life rating than Honda. Can't go wrong with either but, I'm partial to my Yamaha. Rated at 2,000 watts continuous, 2400 surge, I've measured 3250 watts output running microwave and 60amp aux battery charger without issue.
I like the Yamaha generator,.but the one thing that I don't like is Yamaha doesn't have a low oil shut off for there generator. I might be wrong, but haven't see that on there generator.

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's hard to describe but a 200 mph wind at your toes actually is too cold sometimes. Maybe 1 or 2 days a year I sweat even with it, but I've got a second one to aim at my face. Windows fully down of course, bunk just behind front seats, partition wall.

My current truckstop fan has been well used and on it's last leg. Just ordered the Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze fan. Hoping it preforms better then the truckstop counter part, especially for the price :rolleyes:

Reactions: DollarSign

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
When my champion finally takes a dump I'm going to get this yamaha. Less money than the honda, much lighter and almost as quiet. You can't go wrong with the Hondas or the Yamahas.

Attachments

• 1467237847378.jpg
    1467237847378.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 40

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I will admit that for 400 bucks my 4000 watt champion has worked well. I know they are throw-aways but it's been on this van for over 3 yrs and it's still purring like a kitten. Always starts on the first pull. I change the oil often and change the plug once or twice a yr. It is heavy though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My current truckstop fan has been well used and on it's last leg. Just ordered the Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze fan. Hoping it preforms better then the truckstop counter part, especially for the price :rolleyes:
Night - Day

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the one. As long as you have outside air it's enough (at least combined with the side mounted fantastic fan thru the van it is), and 12v means really low draw. They last forever too, I've got hundreds of hours without even changing brushes.

Course this year I've used absolutely nothing, I'm comfortable at 90 out of the sun

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I don't know how you do it. At 90° I'm dying. I think I was a polar bear in my past life.

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do the front mounted generators affect the handling , tire wear , suspension wear on cargo vans -Transits , Promaster , Sprinters , E-350 , Chevy Express . What are your experiences .

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I don't think most setups are heavy enough to effect any of that to much, but I can't get it through my head that's it's ok to block any air from getting to the front of the truck. I figure all the vents up front are there for a reason.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle has figures to kind of prove this setup.....just ask him about his :left side wear as opposed to right side....amazing when the weight is on 1 side...I would imagine there would be more wear on the front end components depending on model and driving habits of the individual driver...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think most setups are heavy enough to effect any of that to much, but I can't get it through my head that's it's ok to block any air from getting to the front of the truck. I figure all the vents up front are there for a reason.
I believe most modern vehicles draw air from underneath to cool but I'm no engineer.