Portable Generator deals/for sale? Best a/c unit?

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I been diggin thru the forum, I found some posts dated back to 2011 and such concerning a/c, generators etc. but I thought I would create an up to date post on know how & or best installation ideas/location/deals to purchase said A/C, Generators as I am currently in need of both.

I hear multiple things concerning A/C units -

1 - Buy a walmart window unit, mount it in the back window
2 - Purchase a rooftop unit, though some are disposable, cant be recharged or serviced?
3 - Purchase an area A/C- Heater combo?

I hear multiple things concerning Generators -

1 - Purchase a Portable Honda EU2000i $800-$1,200
2 - Purchase a Portable Predator 2500w $529.99
3 - Purchase an outside generator (Tons Cheaper than portables) & mount it in a cage or box on the front/back?

So whats yall's input or knowledge thats been doing this awhile, what is your go to staying cool in the summers down in Laredo or warming up north in North Dakota during the winters? Whats your opinions on BEST/WORSE concerning said issues & are there any current deals on any of said items you know about? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: TeamHutch

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replying to your question on another thread. This is my cab area and it keeps me pretty cool here. My generator stays inside the cargo area (about as wide as the wheel wells) so it doesn't take up any space.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: brokcanadian

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a portable ac for about a week, never again. Running a heater on one would cost you more in fuel over a couple years than an espar and I doubt it would do a very good job.

As far as rooftops go not alot of them will run of of today's Honda 2000. I did run mine off one for a couple of years but supposedly they do not put out as much running watts as they did before.

Personally I have a 13,500 but rooftop and a Honda 3000. It let's me do things like cook without shutting off the ac.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a portable ac for about a week, never again. Running a heater on one would cost you more in fuel over a couple years than an espar and I doubt it would do a very good job.

As far as rooftops go not alot of them will run of of today's Honda 2000. I did run mine off one for a couple of years but supposedly they do not put out as much running watts as they did before.

Personally I have a 13,500 but rooftop and a Honda 3000. It let's me do things like cook without shutting off the ac.

So the rooftop, is it heat as well or just A/C? How much gas does the generator consume in say 6-10hrs of just heat or just A/C?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the rooftop, is it heat as well or just A/C? How much gas does the generator consume in say 6-10hrs of just heat or just A/C?
That heat strip is worthless in anything below 50-55*. As was suggested the Espar is the way to go. Pays for itself in 1-2 winters.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where do you find room to put that 3000? Awesome generator btw, even quieter than 2000 and just as well built...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm interested, although I've been getting by with a door mounted fantastic fan and 2 walmart deep cycles for 10 years, never been south of Ohio to sleep, it worked good enough below 100 degrees...new sprinter has a partition, I don't even have a mattress in it yet

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought it from there. Installed in my sprinter currently.
Mine came with the factory espar, got some wiring to do for a stand alone heater...that price would make me sell and buy a new one of I have any problems....
I seldom need to park anymore (mostly established customers, not so many backhauls so I usually deadhead home) but I might just try that walmart gen, keep more $$$ in my pocket for all that I'd use it...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
but I might just try that walmart gen, keep more $$$ in my pocket for all that I'd use it...
The only real problem with the cheaper generators is most of them are just lawn mower engines, with the standard accompanying sound loudness you'd expect. That can be a problem in the car parking lots of truck stops, Walmarts, and most everywhere else. Something to think about. An enclosure with sound deadening should be considered.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
most of them are just lawn mower engines, with the standard accompanying sound loudness
Yeah but the engine says Yamaha :D Yamaha what I dunno

Something to think about: the vast majority of us are viewing and posting with Chinese crap devices we have no problem paying 1000 dollars for...iPhone anyone?

Reactions: ntimevan

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as you can get replacement parts and get it repaired, they're great. Same with the Russian Planar heaters.

I'm sure I can. Idk hasn't broken yet, I'll let you know when it does!

Also my generator isn't loud. I can't hear it when I'm in the van so I'm pretty sure other people wouldn't be able to hear it either. (Same generator the Canadian is talking about)