Pilot is Towing Trucks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Another thing to keep in mind: not every tow truck is owned by a legitimate company...I've heard of vehicles being hooked & hauled by thieves who use tow trucks, cause people don't question their right to take the vehicle. :eek:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing here, but there should be a name on the tow order for the person who called them. If not, I'd fight it tooth and nail, and countersue. If all they're towing are straight trucks, it sounds like a scam to me. The other thing I was thinking was that a trucker called them cause he hates straights. I doubt Pilot would call on a whim... especially if someone was still in the truck. It sounds more like a crooked towing company.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave a tow truck doesn't come out and look over a situation then decide to tow a vehicle of a PRIVATE PROTERTY lot. Some one from Pilot had to request them to do this.Otherwise it's flat out stealing. I wouldn't be surprised if your drivers may have been warned or there may be signs posted limiting parking. If memory serves me right that Pilot was an old Speedway but they have a decent lot with room for quite a few trucks.
It bears investigating as a $400 bill plus the agravation deserves a response. If I were you I would go there in person and demand a explanation.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Bruno -

I do not know about everywhere else but here in Indiana the person or someone representing the property owner has to sign the tow slip authorizing the towing company to tow the vehicle.

I know this through my experience of towing vehicles for the private security company I owned. I would have to sign for the tow slip of the tow company would not move the vehicle.

I stopped signing for this after a vehicle owner sued me and won. The court ruled I was only a vendor or supplier for the property owner (an apartment complex) and not an actual representative (employee) of the business.

So, my point is, check your laws and then if someone did sign for it question them why and maybe be able to work it out. If no one signed the tow slip then I would say you might have a case against the tow company through a lawsuit. Afterall, if they can not produce a name of someone who called them then how does anyone know that they just are not out there stealing vehicles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Something comes to mind, what is the purpose of a truckstop?

I mean that if the thing was towed an hour after it was parked and is wasn't in a no parking zone, posted safety zone (for fuel drops) or in the fuel isle, I think that it was targeted right from the start and may have a few things missing and some damage.

I think that sitting less than an hour does not consitute a tow, maybe 12 hours but not an hour. I would be asking Pilot Corporate to get involved with the state police and bring up an issue that there may be collusion with the manager(s) or worker(s) and the towing company with kickbacks of some sort because of the amount of trucks towed. People drop their truck there for a few hours at a time and leave or crawl into the sleeper and sleep all the time being Pilot publishes that it has truck 'parking'.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree with Rich. I parked there for a month one 3 day period waiting for a load to anywhere. I saw trucks in the middle of the night parked everywhere they weren't supposed to be parked. I never saw a truck towed nor did I ever see anybody from Pilot come out and complain to drivers about their parking locations.

I was towed once when I lived in Grand Prairie. I deserved it. I didn't see the sign. $600. A lesson I will never forget.

Something is just not right. Are you sure the truck wasn't parked over at Meijers across the street?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>>We need Paul Harvey on this because there's more to this
>>story than truck at Pilot less than one hour and towed. That
>>may be what came from the drivers but it must be incomplete
>>or inaccurate or it wouldn't have been towed. Besides the
>>full and honest story the other question is where were the
>>drivers?
>>
>>Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
>>Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
>>Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
>>EO Forum Moderator
>>----------
>>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>>like.
>
>Well, Leo it was parked in the truck lot and the driver left
>our house in Seville, Ohio the same day it was towed she
>called me and her brother to let me know that the truck was
>parked their and went inside and told them that the truck
>would be parked their until today and they told her that
>would be fine Because the drivers parks their when they are
>off every other weekend. I called the Tow company and ask
>when was the truck towed and they gave me the day and time
>which was an hour after she parked there. Our truck was not
>the only truck towed. There was a Tri-State and a Panther
>Truck their too. The place that towed the trucks said that
>they didn't put the truck on the list for parking. Which has
>never been told to our drivers.
>
>The lead driver has been parking their for 4 months now and
>has never had a problem and has even talked to the manager
>about parking their during his time off since he was buying
>fuel their Each time and the manager was fine with it. And
>this is the Pilot in the Toldeo area off of 75 at the Alexis
>Road Exit.
>
>I wouldn't waste my time to post this on here Leo if It was
>a BS Story. I don't like you coming at me like that. Next
>Time I won't say anything and maybe one of your trucks will
>get towed LEO. I was posting this to let everyone know. The
>Lead Driver of this truck told me that this towing company
>tried to tow a driver that was asleep in his truck one day.
>I think this tow Company is out to rip Driver's off. If you
>don't want a $400.16 tow bill Don't Park There.
>
>SO THERE IS THE REST OF YOUR STORE LEO!!!!!!

Dave, I didn't come on here and attack you, although you certainly are closer to it with me in your response. I pointed out that there seemed to be missing information in the original post. You have now provided a great deal of additional information that paints a much fuller picture. The only questions my original post brought up were what you may not have been told by the drivers or the Pilot. I'm sorry you didn't read what was there and had to get so hot for no reason at all.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It's Alright Leo I was just upset that you of all people would think that I wouldn't post the whole story. Leo you should know me better than that. I just feel bad for the guy with the Tri-State Truck, he has to Pay a tow bill and pay for a new window. The driver has the tow bill and I'm going to get the Pilot in on this matter. That's if they ever call me back. I have called them twice since 10 am with not one phone call back.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sorry Leo for getting hot headed. You know me sometimes my temper gets the best of me.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No problem. I just wondered what the rest of the details were that you put in the second post. They must have called the tow the minute the driver left the counter from telling them the truck would be there to have it gone in less than an hour. For trucks that are regularly there during home time you'd think they would have a permanent do not tow list and not have to add acme truck abc123 every time.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>Dave a tow truck doesn't come out and look over a situation
>then decide to tow a vehicle of a PRIVATE PROTERTY lot. Some
>one from Pilot had to request them to do this.Otherwise it's
>flat out stealing. I wouldn't be surprised if your drivers
>may have been warned or there may be signs posted limiting
>parking. If memory serves me right that Pilot was an old
>Speedway but they have a decent lot with room for quite a
>few trucks.
>It bears investigating as a $400 bill plus the agravation
>deserves a response. If I were you I would go there in
>person and demand a explanation.
Rich i disagree,I was parked at a closed down shopping plaza at home,no visable no parking signs,and there already was a trailer parked there
At 4 am when I went to leave that day,I found my trailer gone,called police to sayy I thought it was stollen,but later I found on side of building,by the way,not anywhere near where I parked,the sign posted about no parking,and the towe company.That morning when I went to pick up my trailer,($300),I was told by the driver,he went to pick up the other trailer,saw mine,so he came got it too.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if this happened at pilot @ alexis rd,they had to be parked in an illegal area.Ive left a trailer there for 5 days once, while I was on a flat bed load,I did tell them at fuel desk,but no one seemed to care,and you always find a dropped trailer or 2 there.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Detriot towing companies have an extra incentive to tow vehicles.They get a finders fee for repo's.Guess it pays pretty good too.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Living near a Pilot, and frequenting them often when on the road... I will say I can understand a Pilot towing somebody off of the area where the tanker for Pilot unloads fuel.

Think about it, it's got many facets of illegal written all over it - not to mention the security and safety risks involved.

I've dropped trailers at Pilots before, both for hometime and to do drop and hooks. I think that depends on the fuel desk and managing personell inside the truckstops. However, if you ask and/or inquire about parking - most truckstops (Pilot included) will tell you that it's at your own risk. I was taught If you're going to drop a trailer, put a kingpin lock on it - no matter what. While it's only a deterrent, it can help to discourage it's movement.

I think there should be a 15 to 20 minute window for parking at the fuel island... if you're not back out tending to your rig within 20 minutes - move that sucker. There's no reason to have a rig "unattended" at a fuel island for "more than" 20 minutes.
That's my 2 cents.
BigBob

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
No this truck was parked in the very back of the lot away from the fuel Island. I just got the 1st call back from the manager their after I called Pilot 3 days ago. I think the towing company is out to rip the drivers off. The manager said they told her the truck was there on Friday and they marked the truck on Friday. Which they are lieing about because the truck was in Akron, Ohio on Friday and then in Seville, Ohio Friday night. The truck didn't get to Toledo until around 14:00 on Saturday. They then towed the truck around 15:00 on Saturday. I'm sending the manager at the Pilot faxs that I got from FedEx that shows where the truck was polling at on the day they say the tagged the truck. They must have drove over to Akron, Ohio to tag the truck. I will keep you posted on the out come of this.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Bruno,

First of all calm down. I agree 100% with Leo here. I have been on that lot maybee 70 spots. Now everyone reading this realize this is just S. of Detroit one of the major trucking centers in the USA and how many truck stops are in the Detroit area? ONE, do you think that they can afford for a minute to let spots sit without drivers actually living in the trucks on there lots without revenue?

With that said I do not like the practice but as a business owner I would be towing trucks as well. I really doubt that these drivers told you the total truth. I doubt they asked permision and probably a manger saw them drive off in personal vehicles and just decided to tow yours. Just think a driver not telling the truth to his owner when he just incurred you a $400 bill to cover his but and you believe the story hook line and sinker.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Broompilot

Your wrong on my Drivers telling the truth about talking to the manager because I was on the phone with him when he when into the Pilot and asked the manager about parking the truck their because I didn't him want him parking their. The facts are facts the towing Company lied to Pilot about the truck being parked their on Friday when the truck wasn't even there. I don't blame Pilot I blame the towing company for trying to rip Drivers and Owners Off.

We have 10 of the most honest Driver's and some of our old drivers I would stand up for them if someone said that was lieing. We have some great drivers and I wish I had 1000 more like them.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't make Pilot blameless here. I'm sure they were swamped with enough claims of the tow company, they should've done something... like bar that towing company from their lot.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
well as someone who used to drive for dave i really dont think he would fall for one of his drivers sayin that
i know he is really good at making sure the drivers know where they should park their trucks

Finn777

Expert Expediter
I would call pilot hdqtrs in knoxville and tell them of the situation, When they Instituted their points plan change a while back. I called them and told them I would no longer buy fuel there and gave them my name and Co name and truck number they told me that I had spent $31580 that year in fuel purchases alone and that there was a big outcry at the change.

They later reversed their decision as they put it "Corporate Decision" and the person was great at listening to me and was very concerned at loss of buisness when he saw the amount of trucks that purchased fuel from the same Co.

Some people say boycotts do not work and I agree but in this case it did. The volume of numbers times the amount of revenue I am sure hurt their bottom line For the few months this change was in effect. In closing what was the towing Companies name so I can high tail it out of there when I see them coming.