Pilot is Towing Trucks

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
We have 5 trucks leased on to FedEx and our one team parked the truck at the Pilot at Exit 209 I think off of 75 in Toldeo, Ohio. The Truck wasn't even their an hour and was towed at the cost of $400.31. Because of this we are asking our drivers to no longer fuel at Pilot anymore. We just started letting them fuel there again because I thought there fuel was bad.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What was their reasoning for towing it? Was it in a car lot?

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Sorry to hear about that!!!
Where were they parked....in the truck parking area or the cars and RV only area??
I have stopped parking in the car and RV area if there is space available in truck parking. They tend to get a little testy when you take an RV space.
If it is in the middle of the night and there are no other spaces, I will use an RV space.
I have never had any problems.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Still another reason to use rest areas when ever possible. Sure, Pilot, Flying J, etc will generally welcome us straight truckers, but we still get weird looks from other t/t drivers.

Rest Areas are quite, generally clean, the only thing missing is the traffic and the showers. So twice a week I will use a truck stop for the showers and then I leave.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We need Paul Harvey on this because there's more to this story than truck at Pilot less than one hour and towed. That may be what came from the drivers but it must be incomplete or inaccurate or it wouldn't have been towed. Besides the full and honest story the other question is where were the drivers?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have spent more then an hour at times just waiting to take a shower at a Pilot and our truck is always where we left it. I also think some more details are needed. We do have to agree with Bruno on the fuel we have questioned our fuel mileage more then once after fueling there. But they do have the best coffee next to my own!

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree, LDB. I've used that Pilot at exit 210. It's small, but if you get there early, there is room. A lot of us big trucks tend to make our own parking spaces in the hopes of not being told to move. But, if I'm in my truck, I won't be towed. I'd have the truck rolling before they could hook up to me.

So, where were they parked and where were their bodies? Next time, suggest one stay in the truck while the other showers. lol

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe so. Again, I've seen a lot of big trucks think that the fuel island is a great place to park while showering or having dinner. I think it is unusual for a straight truck to do that. I could do a dissertation on the rudeness of otr T/T drivers. But, that would be boring and preaching to the choir.

The one regret I have in my big truck is that I have a lot less available spots than I did with a straight truck.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I saw Pilot tow away a truck that was parked over the place their tanker needs to put the fuel in the ground.

Don`t blame them.Area is plainly marked.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have to go with the others. I question what your drivers may be telling you. Seems odd they would be towed in a hour unless they were somewhere like the fuel island or car lot.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Apparantly, everyone is sitting around like me, doing nothing right now. But, I'm at home waiting for a dispatch. How about the rest of you?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Also at home, in service. BTW, the interstate Bruno refers to is 71, not 75, and the exit is either 204 or 209, there's a Pilot at both. I agree that more details are called for on the original post, too - just doesn't sound kosher.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
>We need Paul Harvey on this because there's more to this
>story than truck at Pilot less than one hour and towed. That
>may be what came from the drivers but it must be incomplete
>or inaccurate or it wouldn't have been towed. Besides the
>full and honest story the other question is where were the
>drivers?
>
>Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
>Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
>Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
>EO Forum Moderator
>----------
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

Well, Leo it was parked in the truck lot and the driver left our house in Seville, Ohio the same day it was towed she called me and her brother to let me know that the truck was parked their and went inside and told them that the truck would be parked their until today and they told her that would be fine Because the drivers parks their when they are off every other weekend. I called the Tow company and ask when was the truck towed and they gave me the day and time which was an hour after she parked there. Our truck was not the only truck towed. There was a Tri-State and a Panther Truck their too. The place that towed the trucks said that they didn't put the truck on the list for parking. Which has never been told to our drivers.

The lead driver has been parking their for 4 months now and has never had a problem and has even talked to the manager about parking their during his time off since he was buying fuel their Each time and the manager was fine with it. And this is the Pilot in the Toldeo area off of 75 at the Alexis Road Exit.

I wouldn't waste my time to post this on here Leo if It was a BS Story. I don't like you coming at me like that. Next Time I won't say anything and maybe one of your trucks will get towed LEO. I was posting this to let everyone know. The Lead Driver of this truck told me that this towing company tried to tow a driver that was asleep in his truck one day. I think this tow Company is out to rip Driver's off. If you don't want a $400.16 tow bill Don't Park There.

SO THERE IS THE REST OF YOUR STORE LEO!!!!!!

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh boy, Cheri. I would love to see where I-71 goes through Toledo, OH.

I'm pretty positive it is exit 210 on I-75. Right on the OH-MI border.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bruno: sorry about the wrong interstate, I saw exits 209 & 210 mentioned, thought it was on 71.
Did you talk to the mgr at the Pilot, who told the driver it was ok to park, but then didn't put the truck on the list? You may get nothing but the runaround, but if he was at fault, he might admit it. I guess drivers have to actually see the list, before they can leave the truck there, feeling it'll still be there when they return.
I had a friend who was in the habit of leaving his truck parked at a KMart on his weekends home - till they towed it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
not to be a smart a** but you said "The place that towed the trucks said that they didn't put the truck on the list for parking. Which has never been told to our drivers." does the tow company own the lot or does Pilot? I mean that if Pilot owns the lot and they gave permission, than this sounds like the cr*p they pull in detroit during the games - tow the car, literly stealing it off the street to get the money.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It's Okay, I just wanted everyone to know what is going on there. The lead driver had his sister pick up his truck when she came in for her time off because they both drive for us. She dropped her Truck off in Seville, Ohio and took his back to Toldeo so he didn't have to drive his car over here to pick up his truck.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I was thinking the same thing Greg. The driver that picked up the truck said that there was a Tri-State truckin their tow yard that was their with a window busted out of it. Sounds like to me the broke the window. They said that is why our truck got towed because the Tri-State truck got broke into. Yea Right this Towing Company is doing this Sh*t to make money if you ask me. They won't do a Credit card just Cash or Com-Check.