Parking a 'big rig'

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Is it just me or have other's noticed that the 'skill levels' of big truck drivers is obviously on the decline.
I was in the T/A in Rogers, Mn. laid over for a couple days waiting to get some issues with my liscense straightened out. I was parked over on the side where most of the straight trucks and bob-tails sit. Can't believe I was almost backed into by 2 different trucks in about 4 hrs. I back in as deep as I can to give the big trucks as much room as I can so they can back in............doesn't matter. First one, a J.B. driver (need I say more) was attempting to back into the spot next to me. I was sitting there watching and here he comes. Headed straight for my truck. AND HE HAD SOMEONE SPOTTING FOR HIM!!!! When he was about 2' away I laid on the air horn. He surely would have backed right into me. Took him about a half hour to get it backed in. Talked to the guy that was trying to help this dude and he said the guy just wouldn't listen. The 'spotter' is a big rig driver with over 20 yrs. on the road and he told me he can't believe how many "new" drivers can't back their trucks up.
Second truck, some dude was trying to back in a flatbed with a full load of lumber on. He totally jack knifes the trailer. Thought for sure it was going over. I've never seen a trailer lean that much and stay upright.
Sitting in Booneville, Mo. at the new Loves t.s. on I-70E, exit 107. Sitting in the back section with 4 or 5 empty spaces on either side of me. Of course this guy just has to back into the spot next to me. Here he comes!!!! I"m watching and watching........he's closer and closer. I see visions of my whole right side disappearing. He gets to about 2' of me and again I lay on the air horns.......He stops, pulls forward and FINALLY gets it into the spot. I know he would of backed into me had I not been watching and blew the horns. I look closer and he has his left side duals on the back axle of the traile gone....totally gone!! I asked him if he knew this and he said yes, he had a perishable load on, was grossing 79,000 and had to get to Miss........couldn't believe it!! He had that side of the axle chained to the frame of the trailer so it wouldn't drag!!!
Other than that, spend a day and a half with two panther drivers, got the lawn chairs out, kicked back and shot the bull. You know how it is when a few expeditors get together :) And yes Big Monte, and Harry & Chassie, I"m still nervous. LOL. Of course they got a big kick out of watching me jumping up and keeping my eye open everytime a truck backed in next to me.......I finally ended up moving over by their two trucks with an apparently abandoned bobtail on the other side........Needless to say I slept better that night....:) Tucked in nice and safe.
So, is it just me or are other's noticing the lack of skills with alot of the big truck drivers these days..

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Suds,

This has been a growing trend I've seen for many years, and it's been a sore point of mine. No, I've never driving a 'big rig', but I've known several people who did, including 2 brother in laws. It seems most are taught to drive forward, but not much time is spent on backing.

I live close to 2 truck stops, and several factories.. and it's crazy to hear people trying to advise people how to back in. You'll hear them yelling over the CB for drivers to stop, how they're about to hit someone... I've even heard drivers asking for someone to come park their truck for them, because they didn't spend to long on that at school.

Many years ago, I learned very quickly not to park at the back of a lane. It would seem the best thing to do... leave room for a bobtail, or another expedite truck, etc... but drivers are so used to looking at the front of a space for a tractor, they don't look back! I can't tell you how many times someone started to back in.

After that, I started parking nose even with the 'big trucks'.

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You're not imagining it - there is a serious lack of expertise, caused by the rushing of new drivers through training, and focusing on 'passing the test', rather than improving the skills. For example, in Mo, where I tested, I was required to parallel park the t/t in both directions to pass. That was a maneuver I rarely used in real life driving, and felt more time on backing into a dock would have been better spent.
Once a newbie has got a license, the big carriers put them to work immediately, and cut no slack for inexperience, either, sending them into the mountains in the winter, and major city traffic, etc. Expecting them to back into docks in some very challenging places, ie: a city street with 4 ft of snow piled along the edges, where the truck needs the space, is just asking for trouble - for the driver, of course.
The trucking companies don't care, because drivers are replaceable, but maybe, one day, the insurance companies will.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Backing skills deminish the more tired you get.If you park a straight truck deep in a parking spot,you may not get seen till you feel the backing truck hit you.Whether a newbie or one like me with 30 years in a big truck,you aleayd have to watch out for the other party

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the rare occasion that I park my Sprinter next to a big truck, the front of my Sprinter is even with the front of the truck(s) next to me. A big truck driver, tired and looking for a spot, takes a look down a long row of trucks and sees (what appears to be) an open spot. He drives on down and backs right on it, only to hit the van or straight truck that's parked at the rear of the parking space. Seen it too many times.

Plus, if you park way back to where it appears to be empty, then they get up there and see that it's not really empty, they have been tricked, albeit unintentionally, and anyone at the end of a very long day would rather spend time looking for a place to park rather than deal with optical illusions, I would think. If you park up front, they know immediately that the spot is taken.

The only other thing I'd recommend is that you NOT park on the very end of a row. Too many times someone will be going around you and short-turn it and nail your front end with the back end side of his trailer as he's going around the end of the row. Seen that too many times, too. Saw that one again a couple of hours ago. An empty flatbed really did a number on the right front of a new Western Star.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Same thing happened to us in NE a week ago. Parked with spaces on either side, and of course, a truck had to park next to us. One got close, we laid on the horn, and he tried again. He eventually gave up and moved on. Another one was backing in and SOMEONE ELSE blew their horn cause he was about to hit us. He adjusted and backed in.

What is it with newbs wanting to back in next to a straight when there are dozens of spaces around? Nice breeze, we want the windows down. But not more than a half hour goes by, and some nimrod has to block our air... and usually a reefer to boot. It's gotten to where we always try to get a back corner spot along the grass, so we only have half the chance of getting backed into. If there's a bobtail area, we park there. Or, if there are rv spots, we grab one, if the ts lets straights park with the rvs. Of course, we're just happy enough finding a vacant strip mall or a walmart.

Suds... shoulda called the state popo on that hanging axle. No way he should be out on the road. He talked about his load being perishable, what about the civilians around him? Did he think about them being perishable too? Apparently not.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know I haven't been out here long enough but the other night some guy backed into my trailer leaving no damage or scratches just woke me up and shook the truck really violently.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I ALWAYS park with the front of my truck even with the others. If a guy needs the extra space to get in I'll go out and tell him that I'll move back to help him out. Then after he's in I'll pull back forward.
Some of these guys don't have a clue what their doing, then they give you a dirty look for hollaring on the radio or blowing the horn before they hit you. I've learned never to park in a corner spot either. Easy way to get your front end taken off.
Wish there was a place at truck stops for just straight trucks. But then, I've seen some of those having problems too.....
When in S.C. one evening I actually had a guy back into me while at the fuel island.....Can't believe he did that!!! He was already at the pumps, I pulled up behind him, left my lights on and everything. Ran in to get a quick soda, then was going to follow him out and leave. The idiot decides he's going to back out of the island. WHAM!! Hits my truck. Almost rolled my wife out of the sleeper. I told him he had two choices, call the cops and get a report or we can just go to the back of the truck stop and settle it between ourselves. I was that mad!!! He chose the cops.........LOL Looking back it was kind of humerous. First thing he said to the officer was "it's all my fault".....I just stood back, smiled from ear to ear and let him talk!!! LOL Although he did do $3000 damage to the truck. At the time I was driving a brand new 'Pete" straight truck with all the bells and whistles. My owners pride and joy. Needless to say when I called him he wasn't impressed.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Well, when one sees a guy having difficulty DO BOTH OF YOU A FAVOR, get out and help instead of Bi9in.

Nightcreature said it best. Boy when one has been behind the wheel for 9 hours plus its like being drunk trying to back in nothing seems to want to go as planned. Any reassurance kicks in a boost of confidence and than its a breeze. Also the pressure to hurry up and not make an ARSE out of oneself.

I do not care how many pulls ups it takes as long as nothing aint dinged, or banged its a success.

While not thinking about it and just doing it never have a problem, its when I over react is what gets me in trouble. Driving a TT compared to a straight Truck is about 5 -6 times more challenging and also wears one out. I do my best to cut my days off at 9 hours its those last two hours that seem to double up on ya.

So please help the next guy out, I almost always get a thank you.

Reactions: 1 person

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Driving a TT compared to a straight Truck is about 5 -6 times more challenging and also wears one out. I do my best to cut my days off at 9 hours its those last two hours that seem to double up on ya.

Now we understand why they did the rules like they did. But one thing makes me question... if semis are that much harder than straights, why do straights have the same rules? Don't make no sense! :p

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Broomie, I have never had a negative reaction from a driver when I offer to spot for them. Besides, I need the exercise.

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
You're not imagining it - there is a serious lack of expertise, caused by the rushing of new drivers through training, and focusing on 'passing the test', rather than improving the skills. For example, in Mo, where I tested, I was required to parallel park the t/t in both directions to pass. That was a maneuver I rarely used in real life driving, and felt more time on backing into a dock would have been better spent.
Once a newbie has got a license, the big carriers put them to work immediately, and cut no slack for inexperience, either, sending them into the mountains in the winter, and major city traffic, etc. Expecting them to back into docks in some very challenging places, ie: a city street with 4 ft of snow piled along the edges, where the truck needs the space, is just asking for trouble - for the driver, of course.
The trucking companies don't care, because drivers are replaceable, but maybe, one day, the insurance companies will.

My eye's hurt whenever I read one of your post's

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All I know is, I've never driven a big truck (never been up in one, actually), much less tried to back one up, and I am amazed every time I watch someone back a trailer into a dock with trailers already on both sides. A few hours at an LTL terminal is like a day at Disneyland for me.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but too many times I see straight truck drivers drive like they are in a really big pinto! Coming from T/T, it does irritate me to hear straight truck drivers criticize. Until you've moved that 53ft trailer around in reverse, you have no idea.
Yes, there are some TERRIBLE T/T drivers out there, so it makes perfect sense to protect yourself as much as possible while in a truck stop, but like Broom said, instead of criticizing, get out and help! The driver will appreciate it.

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
but like Broom said, instead of criticizing, get out and help! The driver will appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get out and help because I dont know how to back the thing up myself and I wouldnt want to tell him to turn it one way and have him ram into my truck. It would be better for a fellow t/t driver help him out not the straight trucks...just my opinion

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Jbolton, you don't have to tell the driver how to do it, just give them a visual as to how close he is.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are more prone to back in a little deeper and try to protect our bumper from when a big truck pulls out. One of the reasons we are leery about helping a big truck is if they do hit something all the sudden you are at fault.

When Bob was driving a big truck I was always the lucky one to get out and help and I really am not good at it. If I could get in a blind spot so he could not see me I would. We learned to use our walkie talkies or the phone with a head set and I could tell him how close he was to anything.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Usually do not dissagree with T C, But WOW I do here. You do not have to give turning instructions they will figure that out. Its not knowing where the Blind Corner of the Trailer is at. So anyone just saying STOP or signaling is a GREAT HELP.

I would be TWO FACED, if I did not just help a Central Refer in next to me. Sun is Blinding up here at 6PM and he was just Struggling. HE got out and shook my hand, glad to assist.

Now for my dissagreement. In now way is someone aiding RESPONSIBLE for what the driver of the truck does while driving it. One would have to show me a court case proving it. Where I use to park my truck this 35 year driver with Landstar had this happen during his last 3 months with them thus ruining his perfect record for no at fault accidents. Cop wrote him the ticket on Private Property for damaging a car. Ticket said Driver is responsible for the Vehicles Movement. PERIOD. Company sent person out to assist him back in. As a Driver YOU are in Control, thus Driver is 100% responsible for any dings.

P.S. when this guy kept making the same mistake (over steering) I asked him to get out and just look at where he wanted to put it, next to my truck, not into it.