Parking a 'big rig'

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm with you on this one Pelican and Broom. it is much easier to back and drive a straight truck all day. So what if the rules are the same? The rules are the same on a lot of things. I've been in both places and a t/t takes it out of you quicker than a straight does, imo.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
just having someone watch so you don't hit any one
is a big help
i have help a few drivers out
coming up on a side street with no red light stop or slow down so they can get out

sometimes they remember that i help them out and they do same when on a side street in area here
i know alot of local driver from other companies so
we alway help each other
friday went to a place never been to before and when stop at the gate other driver called on cb pull to side and follow me to dock, as it was kind of hard to find
as i had help him before

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
22 years behind the wheel and there are days with 2 or more open spots and i cant seam to hit the hole next day i pop right in first shot in a tight spot that others tried and couldn't get. Some days it just doesn't pay to try lol

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My grandpaw always said backing a t/t was like playing pool. Some days you do real good, and others you don't. So, pretty much what Scuba said with a pool analogy.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Last week at a small Pilot in NE Ohio, I had 3 open spaces in a row next to me. As usual, a rookie came along and took the middle spot. So instead of having one very easy spot next to him, he left himself with hard parking spaces on both sides.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Better to do that than risk hitting someone else.

When I first started driving if I was sitting in the middle of the day I would pull around to the almost empty back row. I woluld find me a spot with two open spots beside it and pretend there were trucks in each one. I would also pretend they were parked right on the edge of their spots not giving me much room. Then I would practice. If I wasn't lined up perfect, I'd pull up. Once I got it in perfect I would make pull around and go at it again. Then I would do it twice from the blind side. Then usually just hang out. One day after practicing, and sweeping out my trailer I went inside for a glass of tea. I was sitting at the counter and this driver made a comment about how he saw this CR England rookie having such a hard time backing in this wide open spot it took him 5 or 6 tries and a couple of pull ups each time to nail it. I told him it was me and that I was actually practicing because I was on a 36 hour restart. A few of the older guys sitting there said that a good idea driver more of the young guys should do that when they get the chance. So, it goes to show you you never know why people do things the way they unless they tell you. That guy could have been so tired he knew he would have a hard time and didn't want to risk damaging anyone's equipment. I bet you would have been mad if he tried to play Mr. Professional Driver and hit your ride.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
It is very easy to pull foreward and slide over a few feet. I have done it plenty of times. That way you don't have to sleep with one eye open while tired truckers try to fill the tight spots on both sides of you. Your odds of getting hit are a lot less when you have a doublewide spot on one side. I always slide to the left so others can see me while backing. I drove big trucks for 20 years before switching to a D truck. I remember what it was like backing while tired. My only backing accident was the first time I parked in the TA in Hudson, WI on my first day driving. My trucks have been hit 8 times in truck stops in the last 22 years, and 3 times in a straight truck since becoming an expediter. Sliding over is the easiest thing you can do to cut the odds of getting hit and it can be very helpful to others. If I saw someone do that, I would feel confident parking next to them.

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
Just a couple things to remember.

We were all new at one time to this industry, and most struggle with backing in the beginning. As stated before, just get out and spot for them, it will be appreciated by most. On the issue of being responsible, the one holding the steering wheel is the only one responsible for what happens to/with the vehicle.

No matter how long you've been out here, everyone has a bad day from time to time. I remember when I drove T/T, there where a few times where I struggled getting in the dock or a parking space. Not because of my ability but other issues. Once I had food poisoning and was miserable to say the least, I knew I had to shut down even though I was under a load. It was about midnight and not many spots to choose from. I was struggling so bad it looked like I had never backed a T/T in my life. Other things that can effect you are being tired, needing to use the restroom, got a bad phone call and mind elsewhere. Your getting off the road because you know you shouldn't be driving, but may struggle with the backing.

Just keep in mind, everyone has bad days from time to time. We don't always know the situation someone may be in. Everyone can use a hand from time to time. ;)

springrivergroup

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone can have a bad day and I have driven both. Its not just parking, its the tailgating, the cutting off a driver after passing, speeding, speeding up when getting passed, not using the right lane when going slow up hills, two slow trucks running slow next to eachother, it goes on and on. We see this all day long every day. A few drivers seem to know what they are doing but most dont. The real bad thing is the bad drivers think they are good and think everyone should get out of their way.

The thing about parking is there are no excuses be a pro, if you dont have the skills go get them, if you are to tired to park you should have stopped long before you got so tired.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I'll add a couple points too.

My experience with practicing while on the road was that my life was governed by a qualcom unit. I could bust my HOS by moving my truck. Even for practice.

Some times a single spot in one part of a lot is easier to get into and out of than a set of open spaces. What might be easy to get into this afternoon may be a bear to get out of when the lot is full.

When a company has a turnover rate of over 100 percent that means there are going to be a lot of new drivers in the mix. Like tmbm said--we were all new once.

In my transition from tanker to straight truck I think there is an even bigger deficit in driver knowledge/skill in the straight truck. New t/t drivers may have a hard time backing, but at least they know that they can't back. It's a lot more dangerous when a driver doesn't know what they don't know--hey, it's just a big u-haul.

eb

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Funny that you should bring up this post. My wife and I have been entertained lately by sitting up front and watching the backing rodeo.

I have a theory on these backing problems. In CDL training we practiced setting up and backing in over and over. The key was proper set up.

Here is my theory:
A driver enters what appears to be a full truck stop. He/she is tired, hungry and out of time. He/she sees other trucks trolling for spaces and then it happens. AN EMPTY SPACE!!

Pulling up and positioning the truck properly is difficult because of the other driver following close behind.
Circling around is not an option because the space will be gone.
So the driver just throws it in reverse and starts heading back
to mark his territory.
Then the fun begins.

Also, I think most of these old truck stops were measured out when the trailers were 48 feet and there were alot of cab overs.