Panther's physical Question

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
How where you harmed by them turning you down because you did not meet their standards?

The dot/feds may set the bar but the company is allowed to set it higher.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Not True. It's says a employer may set higher standards for it's employees. Read the Regs on this as I have pointed this out to Panther many times as their doctor was asking things that he is not supposed to be asking. Like neck size asking people to get a sleep study done. When a carrier starts doing that you become an employee not a contractor.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some of the big carriers, J.B. is one , I believe, are doing hair testing in addition to the whizz quiz, because the whizz quiz is so easy to fudge. As you might imagine, it gives them more positives. They should be free to set higher standards in other areas as well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not True. It's says a employer may set higher standards for it's employees. Read the Regs on this as I have pointed this out to Panther many times as their doctor was asking things that he is not supposed to be asking. Like neck size asking people to get a sleep study done. When a carrier starts doing that you become an employee not a contractor.
Not true, not true. Read all of the regs of that section, including the definitions.

General applicability. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The General Applicability of Part 390 apply to "all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce."

390.3(d) states:
(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requring (sic) and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.

But to understand that paragraph, you have to go to CFR 49 390.5 DEFINITIONS, and see how "employee" and "employer" are defined.
Employee means any individual, other than an employer, who is employed by an employer and who in the course of his or her employment directly affects commercial motor vehicle safety. Such term includes a driver of a commercial motor vehicle (including an independent contractor while in the course of operating a commercial motor vehicle), a mechanic, and a freight handler. Such term does not include an employee of the United States, any State, any political subdivision of a State, or any agency established under a compact between States and approved by the Congress of the United States who is acting within the course of such employment.

Employer means any person engaged in a business affecting interstate commerce who owns or leases a commercial motor vehicle in connection with that business, or assigns employees to operate it, but such terms does not include the United States, any State, any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States approved by the Congress of the United States.

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm just going go to Concentra medical ctr and get it done,this way ill know I have it and once I get to Panther all I have to do is take the drug test.Nearest one is about 180 miles from me but I rather do it now rather then get to OH and have to pay more $$$ to get back home.My main worries is my B.P but its been pretty good lately and I takes meds for it.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Not true, not true. Read all of the regs of that section, including the definitions.

General applicability. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The General Applicability of Part 390 apply to "all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce."

390.3(d) states:
(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requring (sic) and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.

But to understand that paragraph, you have to go to CFR 49 390.5 DEFINITIONS, and see how "employee" and "employer" are defined.

Yes your right as I got a newer copy of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Pocketbook. They change the wording again.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It does say in sec 391.11 (b)2 Can read and speak the English Language Sufficiently to converse with the General public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.

Wow. I guess DOT will be having fun with this one, with the guys south of the border if the can't speak the english language.

darrellndawn

Active Expediter
I'm just going go to Concentra medical ctr and get it done,this way ill know I have it and once I get to Panther all I have to do is take the drug test.Nearest one is about 180 miles from me but I rather do it now rather then get to OH and have to pay more $$$ to get back home.My main worries is my B.P but its been pretty good lately and I takes meds for it.
armin88, I just got my DOT through Concentra two days ago, and they passed me just fine...I'm 6'4" and weigh in at about 455# (give or take an ounce or two here and there), which is probably more than most of the loads I'll haul...

In any case, they passed me, and I too take meds for "high" BP. (Not too high, but more than DOT would allow if I didn't take the meds... You SHOULD have no problems...but then again, every Doc and every driver is different.

armin88

Expert Expediter
armin88, I just got my DOT through Concentra two days ago, and they passed me just fine...I'm 6'4" and weigh in at about 455# (give or take an ounce or two here and there), which is probably more than most of the loads I'll haul...

In any case, they passed me, and I too take meds for "high" BP. (Not too high, but more than DOT would allow if I didn't take the meds... You SHOULD have no problems...but then again, every Doc and every driver is different.

Thanks for the info but after all i'm going with panther at this time.