Panther's physical Question

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm heading to Panther and i'm going have there doc to give me a physical,I'm little worry due to i'm a big guy and I was woundering if there doc is tough on that issue.I know some companies do check BMI does Panther's doc checks that?Is there any input you can give me about there physical test?Thanks

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
You aren't alone out there! Frankly, once companies start checking (and rejecting) higher BMI applicants, they might want to just close their doors. There aren't enough competent skinny drivers out there with experience. I don't know if Pather does, but they are trying to push peas up a rope if they do.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've had the physical numerous times, [the latest for Load 1, who aren't known for taking shortcuts] and none have measured BMI.
The certificate includes height & weight, and a section labeled 'body system' that indicates specific abnormalities the Dr should note, one of which is 'marked overweight'. Even if that one is checked [for yes], the Dr can indicate whether it would affect your ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. It'd have to be pretty extreme for that to be an issue.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Well the thing,I already have a new DOT medical card but it doesn't matter to them they want there own DR to do it or one of there approved medical services but its to far from me,so I told them ill just take it when I get there.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you have a valid DOT Medical card why would they want you to take a new physical with there doctor?:confused:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Armin. Call april at panther. If you have the long form and its recent she may take it. There is a nurse and two doctors at orientation. They ua.d some twice. I did the ua in my hometown a week b4 we arrived, which was last week.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using EO Forums

armin88

Expert Expediter
If you have a valid DOT Medical card why would they want you to take a new physical with there doctor?:confused:

Because Panther told me it didn't matter if I already have one,they required there own DR to issue a medical card OR a approved medical service(cant recall there name) but the nearest one was like 4 hours from me,so I told them Ill take it when I get there.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Armin. Call april at panther. If you have the long form and its recent she may take it. There is a nurse and two doctors at orientation. They ua.d some twice. I did the ua in my hometown a week b4 we arrived, which was last week.

I have the the long form,its from August this pass year(2011).What do you mean by ua??

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

That must be a really intense orientation to need a nurse and 2 doctors standing by.:eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think the issue isn't how strict the examining Dr is, but whether the cert is genuine - there've been some stories about fraudulent certs obtained by drivers who couldn't pass a real exam. Can't blame any carrier who wants to be sure that the cert is genuine - unlike the drug screen, which is impossible to forge.

armin88

Expert Expediter
I have no problem with taking a pee test but my concern is the medical part,I have high B.P and take meds for it but the doc that does my DOT card gives me a 1 year card,so every 12 months I get a new card.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Revenue stream?

seems to me.. and I was with panther in 06 so my memory could be bad..

I didn't pay for it.

I showed up with 23 months left on a 2 year card. Their Doctors gave me a 90 day one due to "high blood pressure"

I had to go back to panther HQ at around day 80 or so and they did just my BP again and I passed. Never once had anyone tell me my BP was high since then either.

I did a brief stint with a local courier company who gave me the name/address of a chiropractor that did DOT check ups.. It was 25 bucks and I needed one..

I showed up, gave um 25 cash, he spent 15 seconds looking at me and signed a card.

That is why Panther does it in house.

Again. I don't recall paying for the panther one.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Not gonna lie Panther's DOT physical they give is quick and easy. They didnt check no where near half what my local doctor did .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think the issue isn't how strict the examining Dr is, but whether the cert is genuine - there've been some stories about fraudulent certs obtained by drivers who couldn't pass a real exam. Can't blame any carrier who wants to be sure that the cert is genuine - unlike the drug screen, which is impossible to forge.

I would find this as a very lame excuse for them to have an in-house dot done. I think there is an issue whether or not a failure can be deemed a problem for the company on the liability end of things - five doctors will certify "me" to drive but the company doctor says no ... so off to court "I" go because if the physical is done to the FMCSA/fed DOT specs, it is good enough.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I would find this as a very lame excuse for them to have an in-house dot done. I think there is an issue whether or not a failure can be deemed a problem for the company on the liability end of things - five doctors will certify "me" to drive but the company doctor says no ... so off to court "I" go because if the physical is done to the FMCSA/fed DOT specs, it is good enough.

How where you harmed by them turning you down because you did not meet their standards?

The dot/feds may set the bar but the company is allowed to set it higher.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

greg334

Veteran Expediter
For a lot of reasons

One is that YOU pay for the insurance

The other is this is a employment requirement and does not seem justified by normal standards - You are paying for insurance

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
It's been my experience that it is more common for companies to have their doctors perform physicals. As you know UA's/**** Tests are required when you change or start employment. If you have high BP and are under medication for it, get your doctor to write a letter stating how long you have used the medication, if you have had any problems with it, and that you can operate a commercial vehicle while taking it.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have no idea how much may have changed at Panther. I went to Orientation in August 2007. A few really big people were turned away for high blood pressure. More walked out when they announced the Urine test. The Doctor was a D.O. if your breathing and have normal blood pressure your in. At least then you were.:p

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Did you win? I think a company should have every right to set higher standards than the DOT minimum if they choose, similar to a states rights kind of thing.