panther?

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Just put a van on with the cat. And it has been 4 years since I was there. I need to know if the qc or hard to use. Seems like my driver is having issues. Also his first trip is to Waterloo. Does panther get freight out there. I know I don't have luck any where in Iowa. I coudnt go to class with him with me being over the road myself. So I can't tell but what I know on my qc for my company.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just put a van on with the cat. And it has been 4 years since I was there. I need to know if the qc or hard to use. Seems like my driver is having issues. Also his first trip is to Waterloo. Does panther get freight out there. I know I don't have luck any where in Iowa. I coudnt go to class with him with me being over the road myself. So I can't tell but what I know on my qc for my company.

Oh my goodness...why oh why you do that?....
You'd probably make more money yr. over yr....taking the money you spent..and buying 1yr/2yr CD's....and no aggravation..IMO

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I'm not going to discredit Panther but, that is the last place I would put a C/Van even if I was driving it myself. You should PM Dave and pick his brain, he's been there a long time. Not to many owners on EO will speak positively about their program.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The bright side, Underdog may have just picked up a quick grand. It would seem from the add he would not be having to split with the driver.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yes Davekc is the person to ask about Panther Vans. I think they are a waste unless you own and drive them yourself. I think a Sprinter is the better way to go. Have your driver call Glen in the QC department if your driver is having problems with the QC.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Without question, a Sprinter or similar is going to be more versatile. With that said, starting in October, there will be additional opportunities from new business at Panther.
To what degree they will be van loads and in what volume remains to be seen.
Pretty much the reason you are seeing sign on bonuses for vans which is pretty much a rarity these days.
I'll go with Bruno's advise and say call Glen on QC items.
The only fix I know on them is pouring coffee at a steady stream.:D

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I've heard things coming panthers way on cargo vans. Plus they have the loads if they don't broker them out. And I had the van sitting around wasting away. Its just as good as a sprinter in some cases raised roof and payload at 3400 lb. So the grand offer didn't seem bad either. But that was not why I choose them. It was I heard from someone that a van will be needed at panther the next half year starting next month.:)

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
On the Waterloo side. I told him to sit tight and see what happens. I drop and run over the mountain to rockford most the time and get a load quick. But I want too see how another company does there.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At Panther, generally speaking, there's no point in dropping and running over the mountain to chase freight, since there's probably about 9 vans already sitting in Rockford and Beloit. There's not much coming out of Waterloo itself, but Waterloo sits in the center of a 100 mile radius from which lots of freight comes. Most common load out of Waterloo is running over to Dubuque to pick up a load to Spirit Lake, IA, which is next to Spencer and a few other places where more freight comes from.

Or, they could sit in Waterloo for a week and rot. Roll the dice.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
It is a 250 gas card and 750 after 3 months IF the performance criteria is met.So nobody give you 1K cash when you sign up :) . I have three vans with Panther and yes ,they have a van at each corner....To many vans ....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It is a 250 gas card and 750 after 3 months IF the performance criteria is met.So nobody give you 1K cash when you sign up :) . I have three vans with Panther and yes ,they have a van at each corner....To many vans ....

Another ploy of a good marketing director. He or she sold u the sizzle, but not the steak. Some folks just bought a pig in a poke. We, u, me, them( all of us). The final results is always in the fine print isn't it? You never know whats in that Christmas Stocking till u reach in and pull it out. Hence, the Pig in the Poke trick.............ride on gang, ride on..................................................................:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard things coming panthers way on cargo vans. Plus they have the loads if they don't broker them out. And I had the van sitting around wasting away. Its just as good as a sprinter in some cases raised roof and payload at 3400 lb. So the grand offer didn't seem bad either. But that was not why I choose them. It was I heard from someone that a van will be needed at panther the next half year starting next month.:)

Good Luck...:)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most common load out of Waterloo is running over to Dubuque to pick up a load to Spirit Lake, IA, which is next to Spencer and a few other places where more freight comes from.

Are you speaking from experience here or what?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is that!

When Panther payed to relocate I would head home after dropping in the Waterbucket. Otherwise going south on I-380 to that newer little truck stop with the McDonalds at exit 35 is a good location. Away from Waterloo and closer to the Cedar Rapids area.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is that!

When Panther payed to relocate I would head home after dropping in the Waterbucket. Otherwise going south on I-380 to that newer little truck stop with the McDonalds at exit 35 is a good location. Away from Waterloo and closer to the Cedar Rapids area.

I do the Coralville thing at the Walmart...nice parking in the S/W corner.....pretty central to the freight too...

I've heard you were a homeboy...;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Are you speaking from experience here or what?
Yeah, I seem to recall someone penciling in my truck number on the Dubuque-Spirit Lake Dedicated Run list for a few weeks there. I was running between Waterloo and Dubuque so much that the local cops thought I'd moved there and stopped me for not having an Iowa license plate on the front of the van, and for having window tint. "You know, you only have 14 days to obtain an Iowa driver's license when you move here." <snort>

melanieanne

Seasoned Expediter
So Panther is giving out big Bounes to go to them.
The reason is the big push to get a certain Contract. (Read the Tabs)
Talked to alot of Panther Drivers out here. Newbies included. It seems the Newbies are running and the old ones are sitting.
It's the Same with any company one would go to.
Donkeys, Elephants and Dinos.
Choose your fate of which one you wish to join.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Without question, a Sprinter or similar is going to be more versatile. With that said, starting in October, there will be additional opportunities from new business at Panther.
To what degree they will be van loads and in what volume remains to be seen.
Pretty much the reason you are seeing sign on bonuses for vans which is pretty much a rarity these days.

Dave, it's October. Can you reveal the new business?