panther dead zones

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My point being, if less-than 1000 pounds of sealed drums of paint can go in a cargo van, so can 3000 pounds of it. There is no more, nor no less, of an inhalation hazard once you hit the magical placarded 1001 pound mark with paint drums. So the reasoning behind not hauling van-haulable, placardaded HAZMAT has little to do with the driver being separated from the load. It's about van drivers not having a clue as to how to log and scale when placarded. Betcha.

Many tipes of HAZMAT must be placarded in any amount, even one pound of it. Almost none of those can go in a van, anyway, due to the regulations requiring a separation of that type of freight from the driver. That's not the kind of HAZMAT I'm talking about.

Certainly paint, many solvents, all (or certainly almost all) Class 9 substances, etc., can easily be carried in a van and are not required to be in a separate box from the driver, regardless of weight. So, if you'll put a 750 pound drum of paint on a van, why would you not put two of them on there? The only reason is that it must be placarded. And placards mean log books and scales for drivers who don't know how to log and scale.

It's simply easier to stick a vanload of 2 skids of paint drums on a straight truck that logs all the time, than it is to educate a van driver for 3 or 4 loggable loads a month, I guess. And of course, there are plenty of van drivers who would refuse a placarded HAZMAT load, simply because they don't want to have to log or scale for the trip. And by the same token, these types of drivers are merely steering wheel holders, and not professional drivers. IMHO.

For many reasons, I just find it amusing, and a bit troublesome, that a company would choose to encourage the "steering wheel holder" mindset of a segment of its fleet. Placarded HAZMAT is just one small corner of the mindset picture. I mean, there are vans out here with no e-track, no tie-downs, load bars, not even a bungy cord. Ran into one the other day who not only had no restraints of any kind, he didn't even have a deck. The freight went right onto the bare metal floor of the van with nothing whatsoever to secure it. Driver said that, 'as long as they plastic-wrap it to the skid good enough, it won't go anywhere.'

Astounding.

"Gots me a van, a set of keys, and a full tank of gas. I'm a truck driver. Gimme money. I gots to be home every weekend, though. Oh, and I don't go to Canada. Or out west. Or New York. Or haul HAZMAT. I'm a truck driver, tho. Got a CDL and everything. Gimme money."

Yepper. LOL

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Since you asked... I told contractor relations about it, but
>don't think anything was done. I was in Nashville, #1, and
>was chatting with another driver who ended up getting a call
>for a load. Then another call cancelling the load. Then
>another load. Granted, we were both trying to get home, but
>that doesn't matter with Panther. First on the board, first
>getting the offer... as I was told. Larry, who dispatches
>from NC is notorious for favorites. Thus, the reason I
>didn't sit in Nashville again. He also pulled me from a load
>I was on from the day before, citing the load was double
>dispatched. I'm leary about that crap excuse. Nonetheless,
>I'm not with Panther anymore, so this was posted to help
>those who are.

Double dispatching happens often. This happens when customers have more than one person calling to cover a load. One person may get the Charlotte office,one may get the Chicago or Seville office.Next thing you know 30 mins has gone by before we catch the double booking. Then we have to call the customer,find out if they needed two loads or not (usually not) and honor the first load booked and the 1st driver that accepted it.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This one I still cannot understand...my people have no time to play games with favoritism. In the fast paced environment of getting loads covered we will look for the best acceptance percentage if time is tight for a p/u. So say if the driver has a 50% accepetance compared to the guy with an 80%+ then guess who is getting the load. We sometimes do not have the the luxury of time to try the drivers' with horrible acceptance rates.
=========================================

Does Panther use first in, first out, for dispatch or not? This is a yes or no answer.

If you are number one on a board, you should be number one regardless of anything. This is what "first in-first out" means.

If, the trucks that have a higher acceptance rate are routinely used---out of order (because as we know ALL customers are critical ones)---THEY will always have a high acceptance rate. Thus, the poor schmoe who has turned down a couple of horrible loads will NEVER be offered good loads to redeem himself....he/she will never be able to achieve the better acceptance rate....

Therefore, unless we take several crap loads in a row, we will NEVER get an acceptable refusal rate to be considered a truck "in the out of turn", first in, first out system.

The whole concept of using a first in, first out, system is to assure trucks are going to be treated EQUITABILY and to take any favoritism out of the hands of the dispatchers. We have seen first hand another way Panther attempts to avoid the appearance of favoritism, or how dispatch can use discretion, and avoid the first in, first out concept---trucks are pre-planned on loads---Thus, the load was never technically on any board. No harm no foul…

Throughout many of the threads on this site there is reference to many drivers doing Panther dispatch a favor and subsequently they will reward them in return with a great load ...etc. This on the surface may seem harmless and acceptable but IF they are rewarding people in ANY fashion this is NOT using first in, first out dispatch. Period.

In addition, the notion of moving to a location 1 mile from where you were waiting for a load ----and to be moved to the bottom of the list because you moved to another zip code or whatever, is ridiculous. AND, to try to rectify this with anyone is next to, if not completely, impossible.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

classbcruizzer

Seasoned Expediter
>Ditto, fantastic post Shredder! I too used to drive vending
>routes some years ago.I had a seat full of maps and even
>called pizza delivery shops if I had issues with certain
>addresses. When I started with Panther there were no
>automated directions. Drivers' rarely called in for them.
>All they wanted was a phone number of the shipper and
>cons...they did the rest. As technology gets better it makes
>people lazy. As Dave mentioned there are some that cannot
>find the back of their hand without a flashlight and a
>mirror. I have drivers that when offered a 20 mile computer
>relocation ask for directions. When really busy we will tell
>them to use an Atlas. Some days it seems we're doing it all
>except holding the steering wheel. We still tell them that
>directions are a courtesy, not a right. With that being said
>take the directions given at your own risk. No program will
>ever be 100%

Well there slick i mean scooter you seem to have alot of answer, but not well thought out. yeah back in the day when you had your pizzia route sure but is the back in the when diesel was $3.00 a gallon. ill shoot for 'no'. Therefore missed direction and wrong turns start to be really expensive but i guess your in the office all day. why is i have cheaper software then what panther and it can get me to the shipper or cons. and drop me off with in yards. why is it panther likes to drop me of in the middle of the city and not at the cosignee and not pay for the additional mile sure it 6 m for i have to drive but thats straight out of my pocket and in my contract it says i get paid for all loaded miles, sounds like a breech but you dont care cuz no will challange panther cuz in the same contract it says we have to pay for any attorney fees incurred for any reason. why is that okay. why is it that ive had the cosignee switched and the last moment and told it will be an additional 13 miles and im not gonna get paid for those loaded miles because they didnt charge the customer so there not gonna pay and then when you try talk to driver relations they just say you win some you loses. im not in the biz to loses only to WIN!

CLASSBCRUZZER

classbcruizzer

Seasoned Expediter
>>Well, I'm not a Panther owner. I have friends and family
>>that are with Panther. My friends seem to do well with
>>Panther and FedEx. They have trucks on at both places.
>>Others had trucks on with Panther and now there with FedEx
>>and some had trucks on with FedEx and now there on with
>>Panther. Everyone has their own Company that they like to
>>run for.
>>
>>On the other hand, Scott T. Why would you fight with someone
>>on here? It just makes you look bad and Panther too. I was
>>glad that Leo locked that post. Thanks Leo
>>
>>
>>Drive safe
>>
>>Dave Mayfield
>>FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
>>C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047
>
>
>Check the posts David...If the person had told the whole
>story instead of just smearing us then I would have had
>nothing to say. There was no fight, just someone not telling
>the truth. I work for Panther and have for 9 years. I bleed
>Panther and will defend it when mistruths arise with my last
>breath. No company is perfect and we are not as well...last
>I checked everyone in this industry is human and subject to
>err. I get bothered when I see lies or simple misinformation
>being posted on here. I will also answer any question that I
>can about Panther if I'm asked. I'm here to help bridge an
>understanding between my dispatchers and you the drivers'
>but will come out swingin if pinned into a corner with
>deception or lies. Three things I cannot tolerate are liars,
>thieves and complacency.
>
>Thanks
>
>Scott
>Panther Operations Supervisor

My lord, complaceny that ones to easy (everyone look up), so ill skip first off about your three things you cant tolerate. it sounds like you are descrbing panther if you ask always lieing to me to get to talking a load suckering me in to take till i get to the QC and see it not my rate or or going to dead where i get to sit for a week didnt sounds that bad on the phone. Theives, im gonna be gerous and round down and only on the document fully ligitment money the oh short deadhead unpaid layover unpaid detention unpaid miles un paid surcharges over $500 dollars there scooter and rememeber im rounding down and it all ligit but i was told they cant help me cuz i was over 90 days ago and there nothing they can, i never heard of ajob keeping money they owe and when it document. theives look around you. Excuse your company for not being perfect never sure that biz model in marketing/managing class error shouldnt be tollerated only corrected immidiettly and take measure to prevent from happening again. And no not everyone in the industry is humans thats why humans get replaced by computer and anamatronisrobot who can operate with error (unless a power outage or if its running on windows but even that would stop the humans) cuz when the phones go down at panther you cant get ahold of anybody. Have some tact and assume your position, Cuz im not done

CLASSBCRUZZER

classbcruizzer

Seasoned Expediter
>>Scootr... I like your posts, and am glad you're on here
>>answering questions related to Panther. However, to say
>>there's no favoritism at your company is like saying there's
>>no government corruption. I won't go into details unless you
>>want me to. And, I'm not saying it's rampant, but it is
>>there... especially with your boys in the south.
>
>Tennesseahawk,
>I would love for you to point it out...I/We cannot fix the
>problem if we don't know about it. I need you guys to help
>me with these things if they exist. I guarantee I will
>investigate these matters as I can't be everywhere. We fired
>one person this year for this kind of issue.

So you got the answers scooter magoo, well who can fix my number is it you, is it you? Cuz i wanna what mathical equation you use to figure my numbers cuz the (%) percent sign isn't fooling ive done the math in my head and on a calculator and they dont add up. and why when i know my acceptence should go up it doesnt but why is it evertime i turn a load down for being out of hours or it being 8hrs in advnce or not my rate i watch my self get dinged for the and literaly see the numbers drop dramatically and only raise slightly when accept no im not going off. I'm paying attention, closely, i keep a close eye on the number i know the number roll off and i keep track of that too. and still they dont add up (pun inttended)

And why is when i try to get them fixed i hear that 'well, yeah weve been having some trouble the numbers and there are telling us we have to watch them more' and call back few weeks later after they are still muddled i get jumped around to 5 people finely to hear someone say "well there is nothing we can do" click* hangs up the phone. i was not even rude to the man, question do you interview these people working for you or do they jsut walk in the door and you give them a name and say "you know what a phone is?" "your hired!' Have they no tact? So the man with answer EXACTLY who do i need to get a hold of to fix my numbers. what is there ext and name and best time to reach and know if there is someone there, you should be able to answer me that. Be some help. cuz im not out here to screw around im out here to work i take all the loads i can thet pay my rate. I dont poke around i pickup drop off no sight seeing no stopping every hour to relieve my 5grade bladder, im out here to make money and get what im owed. so sorry if my typings bad and grammer is in shambles but its late and i have to go to bed for the 5th night in the same parking lot if you get my drift.

GOODDAY SIR! x(
CLASSBCRUZER

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Scott...

Have to say I rather enjoyed your posts. On this forum, you sound articulate and informed. My (& others) personal experiance with you has not been fun at all. I certainly hope you are working on your people skills especially when speaking to your drivers via phone and QC. Hope all is well at Panther.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Well there slick i mean scooter you seem to have alot of
>answer, but not well thought out. yeah back in the day when
>you had your pizzia route sure but is the back in the when
>diesel was $3.00 a gallon. ill shoot for 'no'. Therefore
>missed direction and wrong turns start to be really
>expensive but i guess your in the office all day. why is i
>have cheaper software then what panther and it can get me to
>the shipper or cons. and drop me off with in yards. why is
>it panther likes to drop me of in the middle of the city and
>not at the cosignee and not pay for the additional mile sure
>it 6 m for i have to drive but thats straight out of my
>pocket and in my contract it says i get paid for all loaded
>miles, sounds like a breech but you dont care cuz no will
>challange panther cuz in the same contract it says we have
>to pay for any attorney fees incurred for any reason. why is
>that okay. why is it that ive had the cosignee switched and
>the last moment and told it will be an additional 13 miles
>and im not gonna get paid for those loaded miles because
>they didnt charge the customer so there not gonna pay and
>then when you try talk to driver relations they just say you
>win some you loses. im not in the biz to loses only to WIN!

As far as software goes it's called licensing...software available for private use is much different than that used for business purposes such as ours...just a lot of legal mumbo jumbo but in short we are tied to software that can be incorporated into the system we use and qualcomm. There will never be software that will be exact to the mile. This is why you are paid zip code to zip code.

If the consignee gets changed and is more miles the you are OWED the extra miles. Not sure who told you that you would not be paid for that. I would have had an addendum done for the extra miles.

By the way, the name is Scott, not slick. Thanks

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>And why is when i try to get them fixed i hear that 'well,
>yeah weve been having some trouble the numbers and there are
>telling us we have to watch them more' and call back few
>weeks later after they are still muddled i get jumped around
>to 5 people finely to hear someone say "well there is
>nothing we can do" click* hangs up the phone. i was not even
>rude to the man, question do you interview these people
>working for you or do they jsut walk in the door and you
>give them a name and say "you know what a phone is?" "your
>hired!' Have they no tact? So the man with answer EXACTLY
>who do i need to get a hold of to fix my numbers. what is
>there ext and name and best time to reach and know if there
>is someone there, you should be able to answer me that. Be
>some help. cuz im not out here to screw around im out here
>to work i take all the loads i can thet pay my rate. I dont
>poke around i pickup drop off no sight seeing no stopping
>every hour to relieve my 5grade bladder, im out here to make
>money and get what im owed. so sorry if my typings bad and
>grammer is in shambles but its late and i have to go to bed
>for the 5th night in the same parking lot if you get my
>drift.
>
>GOODDAY SIR! x(

The people you need to speak to is your assigned team. Every driver has a designated team where they will deal with the same people day in/day out. Each team has a team leader,these are mostly comprised of what was our driver relations personnel. If you're not sure of who your team is,let me know and I'll shoot it to ya.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
scott are you sure dead zones or panther pet areas or does panther control milage of certian drivers and rxpect them to deadhead sometimes twice the loaded miles to run them off or is it because they like to have high acc ratings on time ratings you look for them first and let them sit for the loads that you know that most will tell you were to go:-(

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Scott...
>
>Have to say I rather enjoyed your posts. On this forum, you
>sound articulate and informed. My (& others) personal
>experiance with you has not been fun at all. I certainly
>hope you are working on your people skills especially when
>speaking to your drivers via phone and QC. Hope all is well
>at Panther.

I don't remember ever speaking to you on the phone. I speak as I am spoken to. If I get a person that comes off nasty right from the get go and cursing then the conversation usually ends quickly. Rule of thumb is speak to one how you want to be spoken to. I'm not out to win a popularity contest or blow smoke up someone's arse. Guess I'll never run for politics,lol!!!

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>scott are you sure dead zones or panther pet areas or does
>panther control milage of certian drivers and rxpect them to
>deadhead sometimes twice the loaded miles to run them off or
>is it because they like to have high acc ratings on time
>ratings you look for them first and let them sit for the
>loads that you know that most will tell you were to go:-(

I'd like to answer your questions but I'm having a hard time understanding just what you're asking. Sorry

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
scott do you pick out drivers to sit and wait out for the loads that most drivers will turn down and also expect them to deahead long miles over drivers for the short loads:'(

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>scott do you pick out drivers to sit and wait out for the
>loads that most drivers will turn down and also expect them
>to deahead long miles over drivers for the short loads:'(

Not at all. Even your 100% acceptance drivers' won't put up with that,lol!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Scott
Many of us give you credit for coming on EO to field some of these questions whether good or bad.
That is more than some companies are willing to do.
Just my penny in the pond.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
scott tell the truth i use to sit in the high 90's ran few miles lots of loads small miles lots of deadhead

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>scott tell the truth i use to sit in the high 90's ran few
>miles lots of loads small miles lots of deadhead

Yeah and...???? Not exactly sure what you are trying to say. I swear that most on here swear everything is a friggin conspiracy theory. Some really need to spend a full day sitting in the dispatcher chair,answering the calls and dispatching the loads. This is the only well I think some will get it.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Scott
>Many of us give you credit for coming on EO to field some of
>these questions whether good or bad.
>That is more than some companies are willing to do.
>Just my penny in the pond.
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>22 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

Appreciate that Dave...I'm just trying to help give everyone a better understanding from the dark side,lol. If something is screwed up I'll be the first to say it. With that said I want to stress that I am not here to argue with anyone , just want to set facts straight

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
(scott) look at it you have to loads filled panther has a large share of deadbeat drivers do you keep them running and let drivers sit just to do favors which make some drivers think that panther has deadzones true or false

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>(scott) look at it you have to loads filled panther has a
>large share of deadbeat drivers do you keep them running and
>let drivers sit just to do favors which make some drivers
>think that panther has deadzones true or false

We have no destinction on our screens as to who is who other than last names and percentages. We have over 1600+ trucks. I know myself I cannot memorize who did this, that, or the other or who should get the good/crap loads. My memory sucks for a 38 year old guy.We used to have a driver at one time that did just mini's around Detroit going back and forth across the border. That's the only time a name has stuck out and his trk number was color coded on our board so we'd know who he was. Other than that everyones' truck number is good ole blue