scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Cherri,
>You are too kind.
>With regards to the GPS, we have a new QC in one of our
>trucks that will be GPS equipped eventually. Qual-comm
>apparently had a problem with the software for this
>application. Once that is corrected, your QC will have all
>the information and on screen picture and info.
>Currently, like others, our teams use their own mapping
>software for all directions.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>22 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

I've seen this new QC first hand as well...color screen,GPS directions, voice directions and QC msgs from us will also come across in voice. No more having to attempt the drive and read. In the future it will also have email access on it as well. From what it sounds like it's basically a like the laptop and will have many features.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have mapping software, MS Streets & Trips, never needed it with the GPS directions, & as a solo, I really don't want to be looking at the computer while driving. Accurate directions are essential - I just have a real hard time with those I've been getting. And sure, I can, & do call, but by the time I get to speak to a person, explain who I am & what the problem is, many minutes have been wasted. Today's directions began with "75, exit 1", but that couldn't be right - I'm in Knoxville, & so is the shipper - exit 1 is over 100 miles away! I called, waited, explained, & heard "I'll send new directions". New directions, same exit! Look at the map, discover exit 1 is not on 75, but on 640! Have wasted at least 30 minutes already - have to get moving. Then, the lack of a distance on each road has me trying to read every single sign, & worrying when one is missing, or illegible, because I don't know if the next turn is a quarter mile away, or 10 miles. This is just incredible, literally! The only directions we are given are insufficient, often wrong, we have to wait a lot of minutes that we're paying for to talk to a dispatcher, probably because they're all tied up helping other drivers figure out their bad directions, and if we're late, it's OUR FAULT. This is mind boggling - the satellite QC directions were accurate 90% of the time, thus freeing dispatchers to help those few whose directions weren't. Why does Panther give us such unreliable tools, when the right ones are available? I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost any more, because ConWay charged the same QC price as Panther.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
>Why does Panther give us such unreliable tools,
>when the right ones are available?

Incompetence.

It appears that the QC routing are from MapQuest or Rand McNally, neither of which are designed for the trucking or transportation industry. They are for tourists. PC Miler is the industry standard, and is what Con-Way used.

Why Panther doesn't use it is beyond comprehension, considering the goal of Panther is the same as that of the driver - to get the load picked up and delivered on time, every time.

I've used (and still have) DeLorme and MC Streets on the computer, but like many other solo drivers I find using a computer while driving more of a danger than a help. I now use a Garmin c550 GPS unit, which I bought as an expensive toy more than anything else when I was with Con-Way, but now that I'm with Panther, it's an invaluable tool that I shutter to think what I'd do without it. And it makes the pathetic directions on the Panther QC all the more pathetic.

Incidentally, if they don't put HAZMAT on vans, why are we required to have HAZMAT endorsements? Things that make you go hhhmmmm....

I'm guessing they don't do HAZMAT in vans because there are too many warm bodies in vans masquerading as proferssional drivers who glaze over with the "deer caught in headlights" look at the prospect of having to log the trip and to properly secure (huh? What's that?) the HAZMAT freight. :+

It's almost as funny as getting a load offer an hour and 45 minutes before the pickup time, and you're 2 hours and 15 minutes away, and you tell them up front before accepting the load that you're gonna be a half hour late to the pickup because of the time constraints, and then get tagged anyway for a late pickup because you "sat on the load". Hilarious.

I love my job. Even the crappy stuff is funny. :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I as well got a chance to see this new system at a fleet meeting in Seville. Once it comes out, it should take care of directions assuming the correct info is typed in correctly. It was based on PC miler. Not sure on the current system since we don't use it.
Until then, we use are own mapping systems.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

shredder

Seasoned Expediter
No matter how bad the tool, it will never be any better than the person using it. What ever happened to using the atlas? I have never once asked a dispatcher for directions. I always used my Motor Carriers Atlas to plan my direct city to city route.I kept a collection of local street guides for major cities and when I was going to a city I hadn't been to before I purchased another one. I always tried to call my consignee before leaving the shipper as usually they are more likely to be there at that time to give directions. I used the c.b. when close to my destination to get locals from people in the area. I carried a flashlight and have been know to stroll down the street on foot to find the proper address. If all else fails I could always resort to calling the local cab company.I have a book with name, address, and directions to every location I have ever been to. That always helped if I was going back to the same area. Those were the tools available to me when I was driving. Now with all the computerized options available, I would purchase what I was comfortable using. I guess I'm old school. I always felt my job was driving the truck which included getting it to where it was supposed to be. That isn't the job of the company I worked for,or the dispatcher.Why would I ask someone 500 miles away for help finding a location? Why would I hold it against them if I couldn't find it? I wouldn't spend money to go on a vacation then be upset with the hotel when I had trouble finding it. Why should my livelyhood be any different? I hear too many drivers blame dispatch for being late due to bad directions. Does anyone think for a moment that if the dispatcher was on their way to work and had to use a detour and got lost that they would not be docked in pay if they were late? Why should we as professional DRIVERS be any different>?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Fantastic post. I wonder if anyone knows what drivers did prior to even having a QC. I originally came from the vending industry where drivers were doing 10 to 20 stops a day. There was no directions from the company or qual-comms. All too often many get spoiled or have unreal expectations. Your post is correct. Buy a map or software for a laptop. Dispatch is to assign loads, not find ones way out of a wet paper bag. They should however provide assistance if the address is incorrect.
I hate to be harsh but this comes up time and time again and simple mapping skills do resolve the whole issue.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

scootr68

Expert Expediter
Ditto, fantastic post Shredder! I too used to drive vending routes some years ago.I had a seat full of maps and even called pizza delivery shops if I had issues with certain addresses. When I started with Panther there were no automated directions. Drivers' rarely called in for them. All they wanted was a phone number of the shipper and cons...they did the rest. As technology gets better it makes people lazy. As Dave mentioned there are some that cannot find the back of their hand without a flashlight and a mirror. I have drivers that when offered a 20 mile computer relocation ask for directions. When really busy we will tell them to use an Atlas. Some days it seems we're doing it all except holding the steering wheel. We still tell them that directions are a courtesy, not a right. With that being said take the directions given at your own risk. No program will ever be 100%

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As I said before, I have a laptop & software, which I use for finding a particular restaurant, sometimes, but for routing, I use my map. And my map reading skills are excellent, thank you. My complaint referred to local directions. I don't have the luxury of space or money enough to purchase and keep a local map of every city I go to. The same technology that produced the mapping programs also produced phone systems which make it impossible to speak to a person when calling a large company, and I have called a lot of companies & got a voicemail message, or found the number to be incorrect, or simply unanswered. And we've all learned how impossible it is for many people to give directions that are clear & correct!
Why should we not use the technology that is helpful? Did you refuse to get a cellphone, too, because you can always find a payphone? Why would you be on the computer, even? A telephone & the post office can do the same job as a computer, it just takes longer.
Satellite directions are a tool that saves time, and since expediting is very time focused, it is a tool that should be available to every driver, IMHO.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Point well taken. I was talking to the cases where it is in the extreme.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
I think that getting from point A to point B is the drivers responsibility, thats assuming your given the right info. using technology is'nt a bad thing, not only does it save time, but most importantly (as you all know) $$$$$. Thats why I believe investing in a laptop with mapping software or a GPS would be one of the best investments anyone can make.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I agree w/ the majority of this post. There's one thing missing though. The drivers are forced to have QC & have to pay for it. Therefore a natural expectation of it giving correct directions is a given. I'm not sure what QC costs these days as I'm not w/ a company that requires it. If I was paying $100/month or whatever is being charged, I would expect it to give accurate directions. $1200/year can buy a lot of maps.

If drivers weren't forced to have QC then I'd totally agree w/ the post. This post also took me back down memory lane & I'm thinking back to 1994 when I started & trying to think "how DID I find my way to a destination back then?" I will fess up that I often use our offices maps to get to places I haven't been before. Delivering local, I know most of the main roads, but I often don't know where on the main road it is. So it's nice to get the other major crossroad.

All in all a very good post. It just didn't take into consideration that these drivers are forced to pay quite a bit for something that is supposed to give accurate directions.

Be well,
Danny

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Actually Turtle, one of the reasons for not hauling HAZMAT in a van is due to not having an isolated box. Inhalant issues, whether on an officially marked HAZMAT load or not (A freshly painted industrial mechanical part is considered an inhalant problem), do not belong on a van. This is DOT mandated, and has nothing to do with a prejudicial view of unit size.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Scootr... I like your posts, and am glad you're on here answering questions related to Panther. However, to say there's no favoritism at your company is like saying there's no government corruption. I won't go into details unless you want me to. And, I'm not saying it's rampant, but it is there... especially with your boys in the south.

Shredder... good post. The fact that you carry a lot of local maps shows your desire to keep on top of things. I tried to collect all those Rand McNally state atlases, but I found mapquest does better for less. I have to disagree with you when you say it's not dispatch's responsibility to get us directions. When we're dealing with JIT freight here, we need every minute accounted for. If I can't get a computer connection, and the phone number for the customer isn't working, I ask dispatch to get me the right directions. I guess cab companies and pizza delivery places would work if you have time to hunt. But, in my experience, numerous phone calls take time. And time is one thing we're short of in this business.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Scootr... I like your posts, and am glad you're on here
>answering questions related to Panther. However, to say
>there's no favoritism at your company is like saying there's
>no government corruption. I won't go into details unless you
>want me to. And, I'm not saying it's rampant, but it is
>there... especially with your boys in the south.

Tennesseahawk,
I would love for you to point it out...I/We cannot fix the problem if we don't know about it. I need you guys to help me with these things if they exist. I guarantee I will investigate these matters as I can't be everywhere. We fired one person this year for this kind of issue.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>Actually Turtle, one of the reasons for not hauling HAZMAT
>in a van is due to not having an isolated box. Inhalant
>issues, whether on an officially marked HAZMAT load or not
>(A freshly painted industrial mechanical part is considered
>an inhalant problem), do not belong on a van. This is DOT
>mandated, and has nothing to do with a prejudicial view of
>unit size.
>
>
>Drive Safe!
>
>Jeff

This is absolutely correct. The only types of HAZMAT we will put on a cargo van under 1000 lbs are to the likes of airbag deflators and sealed drums of paint.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Since you asked... I told contractor relations about it, but don't think anything was done. I was in Nashville, #1, and was chatting with another driver who ended up getting a call for a load. Then another call cancelling the load. Then another load. Granted, we were both trying to get home, but that doesn't matter with Panther. First on the board, first getting the offer... as I was told. Larry, who dispatches from NC is notorious for favorites. Thus, the reason I didn't sit in Nashville again. He also pulled me from a load I was on from the day before, citing the load was double dispatched. I'm leary about that crap excuse. Nonetheless, I'm not with Panther anymore, so this was posted to help those who are.

dragginzwagon

Seasoned Expediter
These Posts are scaring me!!!
I am considering signing with Panther,as a matter of fact only
have to commit to aorientation date. My truck and co-driver are all
set to go. Not knowing anything about Panther I came here to research
a little. I am a serious owner,and I am not going to connect my business to a company that don't have it's sh#$ together. On the other hand I am not niave either,afterall this is trucking. It has it's inherent problems with mis communication and the like as it's industry standard.
My bigest concern is being on a flat rate contract,I am a percentage
type of guy. panther is advertising $1.85 base is pretty good,I am presantly at 86% pulling a flatbed, and with the rates plumeting to nothing can seem to only average $1.45 for all mlies. paying a co-driver at this rate I will be bankrurt in 6 months.
the recruiter would only commit to an average of 4000 miles per week for a team. this ain't good! I am a runner and don't like to sit.
Please tell me a team can get 5000 plus a week on a consitant basis if they are willing run????

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would almost prefer a move to the GPS cellular phones for tracking. That way you could eliminate the QC all together.
It would be cheaper and just as effective.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the GPS phone idea also. The drawbacks are no coverage areas in various places that do get QC service. Additionally it would require recording all state line crossings for fuel tax calculations that the QC records now. It would be nice to save that $35 per week though since we have to have a cell phone anyway. The biggest problem I see with going to that is I suspect the QC costs about half what the truck is charged so all the companies would lose a hefty weekly revenue source.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

luvboats

Seasoned Expediter
to dragginzwagon iam with panther you can get 5000 but you will have to be willing to take back hauls at times back into the good areas its going to take sometime to figure what areas work better for you. if you know how to find your own bh you can be in and out of a bad area that much quicker. this biz. is differant say from hauling groceries for 1.00 a mile. there is good money to make a person just has to be responsible for his or her biz. and make good judgement calls on the fly. i will tell you this panther has always been there for us when we needed them on several occasions. you just have to listen to suggestions especially during ort. and you can do well at panther. of coarse it comes down to miles but if you can operate a calculator it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see if you make more pay per mile you dont have to always run your brains out. your truck will appreciate that less wear and tear for more money makes sense to me.