Panhandler...to give or not to give, that's the question.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I have a small card with the languages of Mexico, Russian, German and French, if they come up to me and have an accent I use the furthest language from what they have.....when I read the reply in my broken accent they look at me like Im crazy.....NO....I give to my church, and the United way, I dont feel guilty....but I love saying NO HABLA ESPANOL....and then continue talking on my phone....

NO parlons votre langue French

NO sprechen Ihre Sprache German

NU Vorbim limba dvs. Romanian

NÍL SPEAK DO TEANGA Irish

NO taler dit sprog Danish

dwthompson8

Rookie Expediter
I don't give money but I will reach in the fridge and give them a bottle of water, a muffin or whatever food is handy.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app
I agree with Pandora. I keep MRE's however, and if I see you digging in the trash for leftovers or if you ask for food you get a "tasty" MRE. They usually don't know what they are, but I always tell them its enough calories for the weekend lol

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was at the Iowa 80 this summer on Memorial Day I had a load to deliver the next day close by. I was hanging out drinking tea and had 3 or 4 drivers constantly offering to buy my dinner because they thought I was broke because I wasn't eating. I had just planned on killing time before I ate. It was kinda early for dinner if you ask me. Anyway, I ended up going ahead and ordering so people would leave me alone about eating.Then laid a 20 on the counter so the guys would quit worrying about me lol. It made me feel good though, and realize there's still a shred of brotherhood out here. I know that's off subject, but this thread reminded me of that and I thought it was cool.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not long a go I gave a Youngman down in Alabama 20 Dollars he said he need to buy a bus ticket as his wife was having a baby literely and he was trying to get home to her.. I gave the money and he went over to the Bus station down from the TA and got it. I felt good about Helping that youngman. Then again I did the same to anouther person and they went and got into a brand new suv and left. Leaving their sign and tatered coat in a corner under an overpass. I shook my head. That was in Nevada.
Somtimes you never know. So I dont carry no Cash no more
I got a sign I hold up when im approached it says( Driver carries no cash Treasures stored in Heaven).
It works.

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a small card with the languages of Mexico, Russian, German and French, if they come up to me and have an accent I use the furthest language from what they have.....when I read the reply in my broken accent they look at me like Im crazy.....NO....I give to my church, and the United way, I dont feel guilty....but I love saying NO HABLA ESPANOL....and then continue talking on my phone....

Actually it's "Nicht" for German, not NO...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Here's one more:

Ek praat nie jou taal - Afrikaans (valid for Dutch also)

But I really don't see why would you need foreign languages... I never saw a foreign beggar, 'cept in south some Mexicans, not too many tho...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think it was at the Arlington tx Walmart I saw the best sign for a panhandler wanting money.

It read " Can you spare some change". that was it, simple and to the point and drivers were stopping to throw money in the bucket,,,,go figure.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
No they dont they waiting on me .........when they see me I think there a sign that flashes sayin EASY MARK...............I like the way some engage me,some have been there act together others still use the one about there Mother in the Hospital they need to get to her side..........Just say no.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
007.jpg

Sometimes you find the odd ball with a sense of humor....My son met us holding this...LOL

bullwinkle37

Seasoned Expediter
tell them no thank you and walk away..im a christian and i know you should help others but there is to many of them now days to help..plus they are just wanting money to drink up or drugs or just to lazy to work...now if i someone that i can tell needs help witch i have done this take them inside and order them dinner if they except then you know you did the right thing and no money was given to them....god bless