Panhandler...to give or not to give, that's the question.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lately, I've been approached by these folks. sometimes I gave, sometimes I don't. And lately, it's appears more of these folks are populating the truck stops. What do you do? How do you usually deal with them?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My standard answer is:

"I don't carry cash. I travel on company credit cards, and they watch every penny."

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was asked for $14.50 and $34.50 in Canada last week.

Someone suggested the amounts suggested a more legitimate need .

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I was asked for $14.50 and $34.50 in Canada last week.

Someone suggested the amounts suggested a more legitimate need .
Or perhaps they knew it sounded more legit. Many beggars are master manipulators, knowing how to read people to use the best approach on a given individual.
Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't. But I had a Russian co-driver who was merciless. "No!" he'd thunder. "Get job!"
Certainly, they should be willing to do something for you, clean your glass or something.
There are beggars working almost every corner with a streetlight in Chicago. Every red, they work the line, and many feel very entitled.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
It seems to be worse in the South and it is incredibly out of control in California. I can't even stop at a fuel pump in California without getting hit up for cash or gas. About a month ago I was pumping. A guy comes up to the pump with a gas can, sits it down, and says "whatever you can spare. You tell me" He smiled when he said it. I was amused and I pumped him 8 or ten dollars worth. Usually when I am approached I will tell them I will pump you some gas but I'm not going to give you any money. This generally solves the drunk/crackhead issues. Some just say thanks and walk away. I had to leave the Pilot in Hesperia, Ca. early this spring due to the panhandlers. They just swarm you out there...

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There's a ton of panhandlers in the Midwest. I run into them at almost every shipper and consignee in Ohio. They call them "union workers" up there lol.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sometimes try to look confused and say : No English : having Iowa plates and looking like a redneck Farmer confuses them more. ......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't even bother to make anything up, I just tell them to go away. If they think I'm a jerk then I've done my job.

TonyD

Active Expediter
It gets old. Turn it around and say I am glad you came. I need money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I don't give money but I will reach in the fridge and give them a bottle of water, a muffin or whatever food is handy.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's one reason I rarely park at truckstops - it's hard to tell the truly needy from those who do it for a 'living' anymore. I've given food to some, but not cash. I donate to the Salvation Army [cash and goods] so I don't feel guilty.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't hand out cash but I will buy them a meal that way I know that my money wasn't going to drugs or booze. I have also put 5 gal of gas in someones car. Whatsoever you do to the least of mine that you do unto me ~ JESUS.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a ton of panhandlers in the Midwest. I run into them at almost every shipper and consignee in Ohio. They call them "union workers" up there lol.

I just knew somebody was going to go there.

Homer-Facepalm-300x150.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in the I don't carry cash crowd and most times that's true. Now I have helped a couple times with people who were not asking anyone but you could tell they were having bad times. Oh and a couple panther van drivers too.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to agree that many of these folks are good at manipulations. Many are so good that they made Hollywood look like the kindergarten. I too, have noticed that they have updated their strategies. It get to the point that you would ask yourself, "Is this for real?" I don't mind giving from time to time; especially when women and childrens are involved. But these manipulators are blurring the true hardships. I'm unable to differentiate between real and scripts anymore, lol. So, I think at the end of the day, I will take Turtle's line of responses.

Thanks all for sharing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Lately, I've been approached by these folks. sometimes I gave, sometimes I don't. And lately, it's appears more of these folks are populating the truck stops. What do you do? How do you usually deal with them?

The reason there are more of them is because people keep giving them money simply because they ask. Hundreds of people aren't running out of gas or breaking down on their way to mom's funeral. I have hired one guy that needed money so he went around washing windows and mirrors and then there was the guy selling enchiladas last week in El Paso, I don't consider either of them beggers as they were providing a service for the money.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I sometimes try to look confused and say : No English : having Iowa plates and looking like a redneck Farmer confuses them more. ......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Start working on Russian.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My standard answer is:

"I don't carry cash. I travel on company credit cards, and they watch every penny."

That's what I tell 'em every time. But today it was a little bit different (I should say a case of desperation), a Spanish woman, maybe early 30's, asked me for something to drink, then change to spare, and since my answers were no, she offered me an "oral activity". I guess she got scared when I said a loud NOOO, cause the next second she was gone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

LOL, that's a good one!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app