Opinions on self defense

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I asked a friend one time that lived in the Hood of Detroit...Hey Bob!...aren't you afraid of getting caught with a gun?....his reply was...not half as afraid as getting caught without it!

That's why the wife and I have discussed this topic over and over and here lately she's starting to side with me....I guess we'll have to get the crap scared out of us to decide.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I carry a couple good cans of wasp spray..1 in the drivers door..and 1 by my bunk..i would not want a can of that stuff in my face...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
WASP SPRAY -STEADY STREAM. friend of mine came out of a walmart to find his truck was in the process of being stolen. He jumped up-opened the door-pulled him out-beat the tar out of him. guess who got arrested ? wasn't the thief. it's sad when one can't protect there property and family-the bad guy has the rights and the good guys get the shaft.something is wrong with this law

Deville

Not a Member
WASP SPRAY -STEADY STREAM. friend of mine came out of a walmart to find his truck was in the process of being stolen. He jumped up-opened the door-pulled him out-beat the tar out of him. guess who got arrested ? wasn't the thief. it's sad when one can't protect there property and family-the bad guy has the rights and the good guys get the shaft.something is wrong with this law

It's a sad state of affairs that the Liberal society has done to this once great country.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, the first and foremost thing is you don't go to a Walmart at 2 in the morning, you go to a large hotel/motel parking lot and park there to sleep where there is far less of that sort of thing than in a Walmart lot. That said, in my opinion, you do the minimum required to end the situation in your favor to avoid as much of the potential negative repercussions as possible. YMMV

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Well, the first and foremost thing is you don't go to a Walmart at 2 in the morning, you go to a large hotel/motel parking lot and park there to sleep where there is far less of that sort of thing than in a Walmart lot. That said, in my opinion, you do the minimum required to end the situation in your favor to avoid as much of the potential negative repercussions as possible. YMMV

Won't the management of the hotel tell us to leave if they see a expediter in their parking lot?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, with my cv they never seem to notice me there. I wouldn't try getting the free breakfast. Some ( in the northern states) even have shore power.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
Broken window or not, the best thing legally is to drive away. Remember, YOU are the one escalating the use of force when you shot first and and ask questions later, and you WILL have to answer some hard questions later. Later when you are in a cell, and the other person is dead, then you will realize just how stupid it is to be acting macho, when driving away would have you driving merrily along to your pick up or drop off point. I can legally carry nationwide, but I leave the gun at home when I'm on a run. If it gets to the point of them getting van, let them have it, that's what insurance is for.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
No, with my cv they never seem to notice me there. I wouldn't try getting the free breakfast. Some ( in the northern states) even have shore power.

just a note some hotel/motels have guests note their license plates on the register form as they pay for the rooms

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never been asked to leave and never been bothered or solicited. I park as far away from the office and main areas as I can, mainly to have the least noise but also to be out of the way. I never stay more than one night at any given location, hopefully due to being dispatched before a second night but never either way.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I've never been asked to leave and never been bothered or solicited. I park as far away from the office and main areas as I can, mainly to have the least noise but also to be out of the way. I never stay more than one night at any given location, hopefully due to being dispatched before a second night but never either way.

Thanks, LDB: I will certainly try that! I have always thought that would be a good place to sleep, but was always afraid they would elevate their nose as they told me to leave. I once made the mistake of parking in a funeral home parking lot...I swear it looked abandoned and was awaked by dispatch asking why was I parked in a funeral home. I replied, "Well, I am getting OLD!" LOL
But thanks for the tip. I appreciate it very much.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
One has to consider that you will be tries by liberals not in fear for their lives with the freedom of time to critique your every move, and they will. The first thing am officer will ask you, immediately after telling you he us proud of you fir ridding the world of another POS us "man I bet your ears were burning!" He is determining if you shot out of anger or fear, nothing more. Your answer will determine his next action. Not all states have Castle Doctrines and not all states believe a commercial vehicle is your home. An RV is not always considered your home, especially when registered to a specific address that tax rolls can verify ownership to. Act in haste, repent in leisure. The money you will spend on bail and a legal defense is still spent when the judge says not guilty, you don't get it back. Please let cooler heads prevail.

Scott

While I'm all for deadly force in the time of need, this is not the place. I think you or anyone would have a hard time justifing deadly force in the middle of a parking lot with an unarmed assailant with a can in their hand. A lawyer would eat your lunch in court. But again the oop's factor comes in if you accidently run over a foot or more when departing. Than again a Tasser is a nice way to hold someone while your waiting for a cop. It's funny when you pull the trigger on a tasser the bad guys just want to dance. I think that's pretty cool. :cool:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
While I'm all for deadly force in the time of need, this is not the place. I think you or anyone would have a hard time justifing deadly force in the middle of a parking lot with an unarmed assailant with a can in their hand. A lawyer would eat your lunch in court. But again the oop's factor comes in if you accidently run over a foot or more when departing. Than again a Tasser is a nice way to hold someone while your waiting for a cop. It's funny when you pull the trigger on a tasser the bad guys just want to dance. I think that's pretty cool. :cool:

Another great thing about a taser is as mine said on the package repeated tasing causes no ill effects so if in anger your finger slips and you hit em again...oh well! ;)

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to wonder if having a gun gives you a false sense of security. It seems to me to be that way as often as not. You're depending on your gun way too much.

Now, in the example given in the OP, I saw nothing there beyond waving a gas can that could be considered threatening on a lethal level. Open up on that guy with your gun, and it will take the investigating cops exactly two tenths of a second to figure out (a) the beggar was no real threat to life and (b) you allowed yourself to get out of control. You're going to jail on a manslaughter charge, if not a murder charge.

Put down the furshlugginer gun and stop to think for a bit. There are other, non-lethal ways to handle this, and all too often I see gun-rights people escalating minor stuff to shooting issues for their own good. I'm in a cargo van, in a Wal-Mart parking lot--- and I can't just leave??? Or, if I've got it, maybe give the guy a little money and he'll go away. If I shoot the guy, with no more cause than I've seen here, I'll go to jail for it--- and I should, if that's all it takes to get me to open fire.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Too many people think shooting a paper target will adequately prepare them for an adrenalin-rushed reaction situation where panic overcomes rational thought more often than not. There are countless examples of armed citizens having their gun taken away from them and then being shot with their own gun.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Guys, I am a licensed Private Investigator in 2 states, a Bail Bondsman and Fugitive Recovery Agent, have been since 1985. I get paid to put my hands on known fugitives and fleeing felons, but I know in advance what I chose to get myself into. I have heard many people quoting their rights and that they were being infringed upon, all the while being carted off to the local jail, and as indignant as anyone can imagine. I am not licensed to carry in all states, but I am in a large percentage of them and do not always carry. My reasons are different and this is not the place to share that information. My reason for responding was to admonish those that do carry to think first, because the aftermath created by an over-reactive response will take a lifetime to address, financially and freedom-wise. In courts, whether you agree with it or not, the cold reality is that criminals are treated differently because they are the victims and behave just as one would think a criminal would. However, the law reacts much harsher on an individual with no criminal record who, in the eyes of the court, should know better. This has nothing to do with race, as I have seen the treatment of young adults of color that come from wealthy, professional families get the proverbial book thrown at them because they had other opportunities and should have known better. Different standards? Absolutely, and there is nothing colder than standing on the other side of the bars restating your innocence for 20 to life.

Scott
Maryland Bail Bonds, Private Investigators, Process Servers

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Guys, I am a licensed Private Investigator in 2 states, a Bail Bondsman and Fugitive Recovery Agent, have been since 1985. I get paid to put my hands on known fugitives and fleeing felons, but I know in advance what I chose to get myself into. I have heard many people quoting their rights and that they were being infringed upon, all the while being carted off to the local jail, and as indignant as anyone can imagine. I am not licensed to carry in all states, but I am in a large percentage of them and do not always carry. My reasons are different and this is not the place to share that information. My reason for responding was to admonish those that do carry to think first, because the aftermath created by an over-reactive response will take a lifetime to address, financially and freedom-wise. In courts, whether you agree with it or not, the cold reality is that criminals are treated differently because they are the victims and behave just as one would think a criminal would. However, the law reacts much harsher on an individual with no criminal record who, in the eyes of the court, should know better. This has nothing to do with race, as I have seen the treatment of young adults of color that come from wealthy, professional families get the proverbial book thrown at them because they had other opportunities and should have known better. Different standards? Absolutely, and there is nothing colder than standing on the other side of the bars restating your innocence for 20 to life.

Scott
Maryland Bail Bonds, Private Investigators, Process Servers

Well then, if that's the case, and I'm sure it is, and I agree with everything you said as gospel fact, then next time a situation like that arises, I will just tell the cops,"Yea! Poor slob was just asking for gas money, so I took that as a good opportunity to rob and murder the poor SOB! I am the robber and I am the murderer, so can I get the same treatment he would have if HE had been the one that tried to rob, murder me and rape my wife?" "YEP! It's me! I am guilty! I murdered him in cold blood just because he ran out of gas and was just asking for enough change to buy a gallon of gas!" Not trying to be cute or funny, but I swear if you did say something like that, you WOULD be treated better and apologized to and released back on the streets in a matter of minutes! And probably with a new suit to boot. NOW WHO is doing it all wrong? It seems to me, we as law abiding hard working saps who are just trying to defend themselves and loved ones are the ones doing it all wrong. If you have to kill someone in self-defense, tell the cops you just wanted to see what it felt like to murder someone,and as you said, I GUARANTEE you'll come out the better for it. I think I'll try it...what about ya'll?

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately, sarcasm or not, what I said is reality. The root cause analysis speaks to lack of accountability and the liberal bent that this country is taking and has for quite some time. The old saying used to be that "I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six" which is no longer the wise choice given that we have liberal judges who legislate from the bench and the "Law and Order" judges being chastised, removed or retired for not following the new status quo.

To other points made in this thread, there is a difference between Tasers and stun guns. While the mention was made as to Tasers, which could become a generic term like Coke is for soda, the actual Taser has a projectile which falls under the same rules as a hand gun in some states, MD for example. There are also specific cities that don't allow them and it is a felony to have one there.

The answer is to be aware of your surroundings, not a victim to them.

Scott

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately, sarcasm or not, what I said is reality. The root cause analysis speaks to lack of accountability and the liberal bent that this country is taking and has for quite some time. The old saying used to be that "I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six" which is no longer the wise choice given that we have liberal judges who legislate from the bench and the "Law and Order" judges being chastised, removed or retired for not following the new status quo.

To other points made in this thread, there is a difference between Tasers and stun guns. While the mention was made as to Tasers, which could become a generic term like Coke is for soda, the actual Taser has a projectile which falls under the same rules as a hand gun in some states, MD for example. There are also specific cities that don't allow them and it is a felony to have one there.

The answer is to be aware of your surroundings, not a victim to them.

Scott

Thanks for your response, Scott...but WHY! WHY is it like that? How did it get to BE like that. It is a sad state of affairs when a man can't even protect what is his anymore. Again, WHY is it like that? What do the laws and lawmakers and bleeding heart Liberals gain by creating that sad state? I swear, I just don't understand how our country came to be like that! It is PATHETIC!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far, I haven't seen the guy with the gas can do anything except beg for money. That is NOT a shooting offense in any state in the union. Not even in Texas, where sometimes it seems killing a guy because "he needed killing" could be justifiable.

I have seen a guy with a gun go into a panic that almost made him shoot the guy with the gas can. Does that make me think a bit? You betcha it does. It makes me think Turtle has it right: It takes a wee bit more than shooting at paper targets to make you safe, with or without a gun. Panic is absolutely the wrong reaction, and especially if you're armed. Stop and think, man! The guy with the gas can is asking for five bucks. Five lousy bucks,and you're gonna kill him because he asked you for that.