Opinions on self defense

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
I will not carry a gun,Simply because of my temper. Gun is always first choice for me so to avoid jail I don't carry...Now I have guns in the house..
Now in the van I have a jack handle off a old 2.5 ton garage floor jack. for protection...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read this stuff and I wonder if the guns are doing you any good. I sleep with considerably less fear, unarmed, than some of you guys seem to be able to do even though you're "packin' heat".

Could it be that carrying a gun for protection is just an illusion?

cubansammich

Not a Member
I read this stuff and I wonder if the guns are doing you any good. I sleep with considerably less fear, unarmed, than some of you guys seem to be able to do even though you're "packin' heat".

A number of heat packers I know were somewhat paranoid in everyday life prior to carrying a weapon. Many of them keep big scary dogs such as rottweilers as well. It seems to be pattern.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Better to have it and not need it than the reverse.
When the economy crumbles and everyone is looking for food, the thin veneer that we call civilized society will disappear before you know it. Count on it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I will not carry a gun,Simply because of my temper. Gun is always first choice for me so to avoid jail I don't carry...
A man has to know his limitations.
Was reading a novel by Donald Hamilton, the G-Man, Bond-like series ruined on the screen by Dean Martin. In it, he told one of his buddies from the range that his wife was crazy.
His friend stared him down for a few seconds and said, "You're a **** fool to talk to me that way while I have a gun, Matt.“
Helm replied, "I wouldn't have said it to you if you didn't have a gun on you; you'd have slugged me. But we both have enough experience around guns to know that when they're present, cooler heads must prevail."
That's not exact, seeing as I don't have the book on me, but that was the gist.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I delivered in a really really ghetto residential neighbor hood in melrose park,il just the other night. I will not do that again until the companies and government agencies allow gun in the trucks. I had 2 guys cross the street in front of me at 4 way stop, looked up at me and then turned and started coming at me and tried to open both my doors. All at 1:00 am.

Never again!

In that case, would have to see if they could hold on at say 45mph:rolleyes:. Happens again, run the stop sign and keep moving

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It might be because the stricter application of the law would conflict with the Federal Firearm Owner's Protection Act, which states that anyone may transport a firearm if it's locked up separate from the ammunition and in a locked case, inaccessible to the occupants, and if possession of it is legal at both the origin and destination points of his journey. It likely wouldn't apply to a loaded firearm in reach of the driver or other occupant.

It certainly would not! Chicago basically got caught ignoring the FOPA and arresting/incarcerating people who were compliant in how they were transporting unloaded firearms. New York does the same thing. The reason they get away with it is because they know that most people cannot fight the charges, due to time and money lost from being in jail and the expense of legal/attorney fees.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Better to have it and not need it than the reverse.
When the economy crumbles and everyone is looking for food, the thin veneer that we call civilized society will disappear before you know it. Count on it.

If/when that happens, you won't be able to keep enough clips with enough bullets. Guns still offer false protection. Talk about thin veneer: Have you seen the skin of a van? If the society totally goes to the dogs like you say here, that sheet metal will do absolutely nothing to protect you from those who want what's yours. Sorry, but you're gonna have to do better than "The Zombie Apocalypse" as a reason that I should get a gun.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a very good tip when it comes to self-defense as a cargo van driver. Take a shower once a week. Being unclean can be a great crime stopper. When I used to raise my hands the birds would fall out of the trees and people would back off. It's almost as effective as pepper spray. J/K.

L.O.L.

Bob Wolf

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If/when that happens, you won't be able to keep enough clips with enough bullets. Guns still offer false protection. Talk about thin veneer: Have you seen the skin of a van? If the society totally goes to the dogs like you say here, that sheet metal will do absolutely nothing to protect you from those who want what's yours. Sorry, but you're gonna have to do better than "The Zombie Apocalypse" as a reason that I should get a gun.
No question, a van or truck body doesn't offer much in the way of protection. Concealment, but as cover it leaves something to be desired.
But the fact is, nobody without a time machine knows just how barbaric the future will get. A gun may help you last long enough for the world to stabilize. If there are any game animals left, it can help you feed your family. And that you may run out of ammo tomorrow is no reason to not defend your family today.
And the idea is, to choose your firearms/calibers wisely, so you have the greatest chance of replenishing your supply after hard times hit. So if it comes down to it that you have to kill somebody, you take whatever weapon they were going to use on you, which now belongs to you. If their ammo is the same caliber as yours, you adds it to your stock. If it's different, you either trade with it, or keep the gun and use the ammo in it.
Guns offer anything but false protection. Otherwise, cops wouldn't carry them, and there wouldn't be a long list of people who are grateful they had one when they needed it.
Are they magic? Are they foolproof? Of course not. Can a skilled fighter take one from you and turn it on you? Yes, but probably not.
If you don't think you should have one, you probably shouldn't.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
My comment for the comment 2 before. Not true in my household. Plenty of mags and ammo. I was trained to be prepared. Parents were in the Detroit roits. They told stories. But on the other hand im hoping the crap doesnt get that bad that i have to kill someone. Did that in the service. Once is enough...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I teach close quarters self defense course to medics at home. The most powerfull weappons on your person are your brain, gut feeling, and common sense. Assess your situation and surroundings if it dosent look ,or feel right the answer should be obvious if a weapon more than a fist is needed a knife is your best bet..
Guns and sprays are almost useless and more hazardous in close quarters do you realy want pepper or bug spray in a vehicle? Think abbout it you will also be breathing that as well. If you discharge a fire arm in a vehical you are in a closed enviroment you will be blinded by the muzzle flash, deafened by the noise, and if your round misses, dosent stop, or passes thorugh the subject it can injure somone else B.T.W. your fault and Kevlar is easy to obtain. Ever see somone on PCP not fataly shot with the first round tazed, or hosed down with tree cans of C.S. mace it dosent work.
I try to park at truck stops as much as posiable. I look out for other drivers hopefuly others are doing the same for me. I trust a driver will come to my assistance long before an under paid Walmart employee.

Be safe and remember you cant fix stupid or evil.

Bob Wolf

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would point out that aim is apt to be a problem. You don't have much freedom of movement while you're seated in your vehicle, and that-- plus a bit of panic, and don't for one minute try to convince me you're not somewhat panicked at that moment-- could be enough to spoil your aim.

It's one thing to fire off some rounds down at the shooting range. You have freedom of movement, you have time to think and steady your aim, and you don't have a beggar knocking on your window asking for money so he can buy gasoline. (No, I'm not letting that go. That Opening statement of this thread is what shows me that panic is operating in much of this.) It's quite another thing when you're in your vehicle, at night, with restricted movement and you have to decide, right now, whether this is a shooting situation or if you should give the beggar a couple of bucks and he'll go away. I think I'm even more concerned about some of you who are arming to the teeth so you'll be ready for the coming Zombie Apocalypse. Geeze, I think I might be safer facing the zombies un-armed than joining forces with some of you. Having a gun for self-protection may be argued favorably. Having a "when society crumbles, I'll be ready" reason for owning a gun makes me think maybe you shouldn't have a gun.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
....makes me think maybe you shouldn't have a gun.

You have the right to bear arms, and also the right to refuse to do so.

You do NOT have the right to make that decision for anyone else, except your own underage children.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
It helps if your a large kinda person yourself, Ive had bums come over by my truck look at me and go, I DONT NEED TO BOTHER HIM....But a tire knocker, taser, can of wasp spray, Mace, or Hair spray and a lighter might go a long way to convincing someone whom might be threatning that you mean business. When approached by these folks you have to be nice but firm, dont negotiate, dont converse, make the point you have no money or DONATIONS and they need to move on, if they dont, Drive away, if they persist call a cop.....if theres no cop and you must make a stand, dont put yourself in a position where your vulnerable. Get out with Maglite or tire thumper in hand on your shoulder ready to strike, keep space between you and them, if they rush you grab there collar, place one leg to your side and throw them down to the ground. CALL 911 BEFORE you have to do this....Ive had guys come up and look at me and decide they were better off just moving along, Work from a position of strength, learn some simple judo throws, or if worse comes to worse the eye gouge is a good move, a thumb stuck hard into anyones eye will back them right off and let them know you mean business. Worse comes to worse BITE THE EAR....Listen when it comes to me or them,,,they arent going to enjoy what I do and its not gonna be a love tap....MY VERY LAST RESORT WOULD BE A DEADLY WEAPON....a bum can recover from his eye getting gouged, and hell think twice, but shooting them when all they really want is a free bottle of wine or drug of the day might get you some serious issues as said before, Now if someone broke in my vehicle and got inside with me, they would die, plain and simple, I would not hesitate to take that life knowing what they might do to me or my loved one....BE SAFE

BigCat

Expert Expediter
My 3 foot long 20 pound steel winch bar stays right by my seat. If I get out in an unfamiliar area it goes with me.