OOIDA says owners should pay idling fines

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Trucking News - Pennsylvania State transportation committee eyes idling ban . I read a more detailed article in the May 1-14 issue of "The Trucker" . Mike Joyce said drivers don't have the option of equipping the trucks with APU's . How do you fleet owners feel about this ? My opinion is the operators should be fined . While they can't equip the trucks with APU's , they have the choice whether or not to work for a fleet that doesn't have APU equipped trucks . When choosing an employer they also have the option of working for a fleet that operates in areas with no idling laws .

markafd

Expert Expediter
I think fines being placed on the owner if a driver does not have a apu is rediculous. what would stop a driver from not using apu just to get owner fined. its as stupid as having the owner ticketed if the driver is pulled over for speeding. OOIDA needs to rethink this one I just paid my dues and if this is the best fight they can pick I wont be paying them again.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This State law would only apply to day cab truck operators who shouldn't be sleeping in the truck. I fail to see an unreasonable issue here. Why would a day cab operator need an APU for heat or A/C?

But, fining the owner for a driver's indiscretion is unreasonable

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would view this the same way. This wouldn't have much to do with the fleet owners in expedite.

Quoted from article

Pennsylvania SB295 would limit idling of trucks, school buses and transit buses to five minutes per hour, unless the truck has a sleeper berth and idling is used to heat or cool the cab when outside temperatures are below 40 degrees or above 75 degrees.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I would view this the same way. This wouldn't have much to do with the fleet owners in expedite.

Quoted from article

Pennsylvania SB295 would limit idling of trucks, school buses and transit buses to five minutes per hour, unless the truck has a sleeper berth and idling is used to heat or cool the cab when outside temperatures are below 40 degrees or above 75 degrees.

The article in "The Trucker" gave much more info but I couldn't find it online . Why would OOIDA step in if it just involved daycabs and buses ? I can see where it would easily apply to OTR drivers . Suppose the weather is cold and rainy and in the mid-30's . A driver finishes his day , goes off duty and going from a restaurant back to the truck he gets cold and wet . A warm sleeper feels good in this weather . So he falls asleep with the truck idling . Four or 5 hours later the temperature rises to the low 40's . I have no doubt some idling police will watch for the temperature to rise above 40 then go searching for idling trucks . We also know there are drivers that love to report offenses by other driver every chance they get . This driver will be awakened with a ticket for the truck owner if OOIDA has their way .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way of the future....I think every truck used by logging drivers should be equipped with some sort of APU device...it would eliminate this discussion. Theres still a lot of "old school" O/O's and drivers out there that still believe a truck should not be turned off...
Resistance is futile...

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
OVM, I assume that you are referring to drivers that maintain a log of HOS and not a driver of a logging truck. What possible cost effective reason would an owner of a day cab have for adding an APU for the purpose of heating and cooling the cab? Same question for an interstate tow truck or a cargo van that carrys a loggable amount of Hazmat.

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
C'mon OVM, check the HOS regs. By virtue of the construction of a daycab, they are not intended to run long. The driver of a daycab, a truck without a sleeper, cannot log more than 14 hrs consecutively, 11 of which may be driving. If he needs to be on a long run that exceeds 11 hrs of driving, he needs to sleep outside the truck; ergo, no heat or air required.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
C'mon OVM, check the HOS regs. By virtue of the construction of a daycab, they are not intended to run long. The driver of a daycab, a truck without a sleeper, cannot log more than 14 hrs consecutively, 11 of which may be driving. If he needs to be on a long run that exceeds 11 hrs of driving, he needs to sleep outside the truck; ergo, no heat or air required.

Phew...Terry...I apologize...I didn't completely understand or read the opening posts...was only on 2nd coffee when i attempted to think...

Your absolutely correct..the need is not there and the expense not justified.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This State law would only apply to day cab truck operators who shouldn't be sleeping in the truck. I fail to see an unreasonable issue here. Why would a day cab operator need an APU for heat or A/C?

Terry, it is obvious you have never been to a grocery warehouse.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
IMO, if an owner is to cheap to buy an apu and have it put on the truck to provide comfort for his drivers and save himself money he's a dumb a$$ and deserves the fine for that reason alone. Plus to me I don't want to sleep in a truck that is 45 or even 50 degrees.

p.s. I know they are talking about daycabs. I'm talking about situations besides just this one. Wanted to say that before someone repeated themselves for the 1,000,000th time. When you repeat yourself like that you are just implying everyone else is dumb.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the way the anti-idling laws are going I think all trucks for long distance work, aka have sleepers, should have APU's as standard equipment.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
With the way the anti-idling laws are going .....
It isn't merely a question of laws ..... with fuel prices going the way that they are, as Ark says ...... it's rapidly becoming a big economic issue for those in the big(ger) rigs that suck down a gallon or so per hour while idling.

I was up in Romulus at Espar last week getting a 12v AC unit installed and while I was there I was talking to an O/O who had his tractor (a KW with a big 600 HP motor in it) in getting some fine-tuning done to the APU.

Guy was specialized - strictly oversize loads - apparently real good money in it - but he was telling me that with fuel prices being what they are he's having to stay out longer to stay as profitable - used to be he made enough to be able to incur some serious deadhead to come every week or 10 days. Now he's staying out for weeks (3 to 5) ..... he figured that he had saved around $300 in fuel costs for the past week alone by not having to idle .... that's some real money.

Say you run 40 weeks a year ....... that $5K to $8K APU don't look all that expensive anymore ..........

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
IMO, if an owner is to cheap to buy an apu and have it put on the truck to provide comfort for his drivers and save himself money he's a dumb a$$ and deserves the fine for that reason alone. Plus to me I don't want to sleep in a truck that is 45 or even 50 degrees.

p.s. I know they are talking about daycabs. I'm talking about situations besides just this one. Wanted to say that before someone repeated themselves for the 1,000,000th time. When you repeat yourself like that you are just implying everyone else is dumb.

I'm sure many members here have slept in trucks well below 40 degrees without idling . A good sleeping bag and one of those camping propane heaters help . But it sure does suck waking up and having frost on the INSIDE of the windshield !

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I could do it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't understand why these new trucks don't come from the factory with an apu. I did my fair share of roughing it while I was in the service. I won't lay down and sleep in a hole in the ground again either. At least not until I'm dead. LOL.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure many members here have slept in trucks well below 40 degrees without idling . A good sleeping bag and one of those camping propane heaters help . But it sure does suck waking up and having frost on the INSIDE of the windshield !

You got to do what you got to do.

Not all of us belong to that exclusive invite only RVing expediting club. :cool:

Last edited: