OOIDA says owners should pay idling fines

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
You got to do what you got to do.

Not all of us belong to that exclusive invite only RVing expediting club. :cool:

Greg,
You missed my point so here we go. What you said about having an apu and being apart of some exclusive RVing expedite club not only makes no sense it sounds dumb. It appears you're saying if someone invests a few grand in an apu so they can rest comfortably and legally where idling isn't permitted it means they are rv expediters. Where do you get this stuff from? I think you are just trying to stir the pot and get something started.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg,
You missed my point so here we go. What you said about having an apu and being apart of some exclusive RVing expedite club not only makes no sense it sounds dumb. It appears you're saying if someone invests a few grand in an apu so they can rest comfortably and legally where idling isn't permitted it means they are rv expediters. Where do you get this stuff from? I think you are just trying to stir the pot and get something started.

Joe..I think what Gregs trying to say IS= He's not too keen on the government mandate of having an APU..Greg believes LESS government in our lives is better...if one doesn't have an APU..then let them be cold or hot. THEIR Choice NOT the governments.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ark,
No I didn't miss your point, I didn't say anything about not having an APU.

In fact the RV comment was an attempt at twisted humor of these all inclusive rigs all the while the owner is too good to stay at truck stops in fear of their rigs being scratched or dinged (I am being sort of sarcastic) - no reflection on anyone specific here. I met a bunch and a couple were, well too good to hang with the common folk (and Phil and Diane were not one who acted that way by the way, they were nice to talk to). My point is that the majority of expediters don't have a $200k rig, I bet a lot of these trucks are only worth $45k average and don't have APUs.

And the price of an APU is not a few grand, for many it is out of reach. I looked at a lot of them, there are a lot on the market and they are almost all the same, with exceptions of the controls and layout (A/C compressor compared to a glorified generator, etc...). What floors me is that most are glorified generators and Phil's (and others) solution is the best, get an Onan generator.

My comment "you got to do what you got to do" means just what it means. Many of US have gone to bed without idling the truck all night while waking up to a very cold sleeper (sometimes it is in the 20's). Many more have used a 'heater' of some sort that gave us that frost on the windshield in the morning, so it is a realistic view that many don't spend a lot of money to provide that bit of luxury in the form of an APU. You got to do what you got to do to make that money.

Now as for what OVM said, that is another thing I didn't think about but you know I find it intrusive what government does, and they enforce the laws sporadically, which my west coast trip proved that (sitting in LA with more trucks idling there than when I am sitting in Atlanta). But even though I feel there should be less government, I think that APU's should be a mandated piece of equipment installed directly by the manufacture for any truck that is built with a sleeper - no exceptions. I think that the sleeper manufactures (who don't run on tight budgets), can workout deals with these APU companies to put an APU on the truck when they install the sleeper.

Hope that clears things up.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's really not that out of reach financially. I took out a loan for mine. I can make the payment, put fuel in it, maintain it, and still be ahead of the game as opposed to idling.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We bought a used truck and it had a PROHEAT APU on it. It does save us fuel over idling. It was not very dependable when we first got the truck. It broke often. After several attempts it is now running great. Does a fair job in the heat, not enough BTU's on the AC, does great in the cold. Plenty of heat. We are looking at a ESPAR heater for winter. No need to run an APU just for heat. I think they use less fuel per hour than the APU. Much less noise. Our APU will come on automaticlly when the batteries get low. I just wish they had a longer life span. I think the ONAN is the way to go. I most likely will notbut this type of APU again. I am looking forward to the day when fuel cells can do the job of a APU. There is one out now for boats but I don't think it will do the job. Leer is working on one. Last I heard it will be putting out 7000 to 8000 watts. That would do it. They have a working model. They say that finding a fuel with a low sulphur content is the main problem. The Leer guy told me that even ULSD has too much. None that they tested met the ULSD sulphur requirements. Last I heard they were looking at rape seed or other veggie oils to run it. Layoutshooter