OOIDA is awesome!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wasn't it about 6 months ago that FTW was coming on how we all need to join OOIDA and organize and OOIDA was the vehicle to get us more bucks and better conditions etc. Then we could all go on a work stopage program and the carriers would cave in.

Looks like FTW is singing a diferent tune now.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i am an ooida member 3yrs and will remain so whether i am on the road or not do i agree with everything they do no but they have done alot more for drivers then any organization that i no of i stopped in there abt a year ago and i agree they are awesome but they will not make everyone happy however what other voice do we have in washington so the more members they have the better

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good reality check and 6 more months in this biz and he's over around the bend....he'll never make it...too stressed already and that not a good thing.

NOW......WHATS the next step about this split berth ruling????

WAIT...never mind why should I care? I am just a lowly 4 wheeler. Oh...I know why I care....I don't want you guys running me over cuzz your too tired because they are forcing you to drive 10 and 10! and feelin like crud. Be safe!

fortwayne

Not a Member
cheri1122, I know you are not really asking me for my opinion on how to solve the problem, I mean afterall read the thread, you and your bunk buddies have all the answers.
To the fool who said I was endorsing the OOIDA months ago - that really is true but only to 'ease the tension' and my believe that there were other options.
Leo - you say since I am leaving OOIDA I should just quit trucking altogether, since in your view leaving OOIDA shows a sign of me being a quitter. Leo, I thought to a degree you had some level of respect for those that disagree with you - I was wrong. Just because I am leaving OOIDA and I have a different view that you do does not make me a quitter and does not make you a better person than me. I just see the group as a total waste where you think their bathrooms don't smell.
For those that think OOIDA is great - fine I do not - no big deal on either side of the coin. All I am saying is you all need to wake up a take note that the Industry is on life support and we need to make some changes as o/o and drivers.
What changes - limitations of unpaid dead head miles, increase in detention pays, guidelines for carriers to limit new recruits based upon x amount of trucks for x amount of customers or x amount of trucks for x amount of load history.
On and on and on............

Fort Wayne
Now That Is Stupid!

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Fortwayne, I agree with you on some things but I disagree with you on OOIDA. They may not seem like they are getting much done but they are about the only one I see trying. From what I see on here most of the o/o will not stand up for themselves. Case in point, the fedex insurance increase. If 7 to 9 hundred o/o would show up at fedex cc hq in the same day angry over this things would change. But it will not happen. There are many other things to take a stand against with other companys too, but sadly these stands will not happen either. The best advise I can offer you is get your own authority. I did it and it was the best move I ever made.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

FW, I agree with some of what you are saying but truthfully we are dealing with people who have no clue who enter into this industry at large and become sheep, and I am not talking about the ones here on EO but in the industry in general. They sometimes need a group to help them focus on issues that affect them and help them ‘rally’ together to solve a few problems.

What this does not mean is that we in the Expediting niche of the industry in general need to discount the OOIDA when it comes to expediting specific issues that affect us because there are actually few issues that are expediting specific in comparison more of them are company specific issues and the issues that do effect all of us is some of the OOIDA’s focus i.e. hours of service is one.

I am not all that defensive about the OOIDA as some are, I see a collective use for my funds that I provide without a doubt, I see the usefulness of the organization but at the same time I am critical of a few things about the OOIDA that I won’t get into here.

As for lobbying, OVM is confused because there are truly two different issues when you speak about lobbying; membership lobbying and corporate lobbying. One can be effective and the other can be damaging – but I won’t get into the differences either, eh, here at least. The OOIDA is not a strong lobbying group because the membership needs to be stronger, not in numbers but determination. Yes …..here is my “write a letter, make a phone call or visit your representative†part of my post, which is why the OOIDA can not be as effective as it could be, truckers in general don’t make a collective effort – if they did, just imagine!

For some OOIDA is worthless, for others the ATA is worthless and for others the ACLU, NAACP, NBA, and what other alphabet membership organization are all worthless too, so it is a matter of opinion, nothing else.

If you think that the OOIDA is worthless, read my signature line and think about what they do in relation to my signature line.

Go ahead I dare you to read it and think!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
however fight every battle they even remotely believe they can win.

Your choices are to either be a fighter or a quitter. OOIDA members are the fighters. The more fighters in the army the bigger the opposing army you can take on and defeat. The less fighters in the army the fewer battles can be fought. In this case people are either fighters or quitters.

You can tell yourself you're a fighter and doing your part by being a member of Acme Widgets and Driver Association but being a member of a little ragtag band instead of an organized fighting force isn't productive. All you've done is weaken the true fighting force.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
>cheri1122, I know you are not really asking me for my
>opinion on how to solve the problem, I mean afterall read
>the thread, you and your bunk buddies have all the answers.

I'm sure you'll inderstand that I take great offense to this reply - I asked a straightforward question, but you chose to insult me, rather than answer the question. If 'bunk buddies' means people whose intelligence & opinions I respect, then there are quite a few of them I'm proud to have here - but if it meant anything else, you are WAY out of line, mister!

>To the fool who said I was endorsing the OOIDA months ago -
>that really is true but only to 'ease the tension' and my
>believe that there were other options.

First you called RichM a fool, then admitted that he's absolutely correct - got some fancy footwork to explain that one away?

>Leo - you say since I am leaving OOIDA I should just quit
>trucking altogether, since in your view leaving OOIDA shows
>a sign of me being a quitter. Leo, I thought to a degree you
>had some level of respect for those that disagree with you -
>I was wrong. Just because I am leaving OOIDA and I have a
>different view that you do does not make me a quitter and
>does not make you a better person than me. I just see the
>group as a total waste where you think their bathrooms don't
>smell.
>For those that think OOIDA is great - fine I do not - no big
>deal on either side of the coin. All I am saying is you all
>need to wake up a take note that the Industry is on life
>support and we need to make some changes as o/o and drivers.
>What changes - limitations of unpaid dead head miles,
>increase in detention pays, guidelines for carriers to limit
>new recruits based upon x amount of trucks for x amount of
>customers or x amount of trucks for x amount of load
>history.

>On and on and on............

A succinct description of your rants - you keep telling us we're all wrong, but when I read what you've said we need to do, all I can say is: YOU FIRST!
And do let us know how it turns out, ok?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Fort Wayne
>Now That Is Stupid!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think OOIDA is the best organized group that is available to the owner operators. They aren't perfect, and I am not sold on some of their performances, but you have to look at the WHOLE picture, rather than just a small part or the one you choose to see.
It reminds me of that same old question, "Are you part of the problem, or are you part of the solution"?
Nothing more complicated than that. One might be amazed at what they can do if they take all of the whining time and apply it somewhere constructive.
FW......
Ripping other EO members hardly sounds like part of that "solution".

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

fortwayne

Not a Member
cheri1122, i will only say that i did indeed want you to know that it was intended to be those that shared your feelings and thoughts and not the way it may have sounded on the dirty and nasty ways so sorry if you took it that way and i can see how you may have - not my intent. to everyone else - listen i am done discussing this issue with you people. you all seem to think that the ooida is the answer and i am saying it is not. they do not carry the weight and power that we need in this industry. and i have mentioned the problems and things that are being taken away from us yet you people want to insist it is the market the competition etc etc. ASSOCIATIONS THAT ARE STRONG AND POWERFUL do not allow this to happen and ask its membership to have some backbone and stand up for THEIR RIGHT (WHICH MEANS OUR RIGHT) to be treated fairly and the chance to have a decent respectable living ----------and we do not have that now industry wide. then again here i go talking about us standing up as a group instead of just worry about myself----maybe that really is all i should worry about but my convictions just does not allow that. but this is my last post here on this subject the end period now go ahead and carry on your lame discussion and excuses on how ooida rocks.

Fort Wayne
Now That Is Stupid!

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Wheeewww......Is it really over?? I certainly hope so!

If we all, and I mean ALL IN THE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY, would support OOIDA I think it would be amazing at what they could accomplish. Strength is in Numbers!!

Danny

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You bemoan the fact they are not as strong as you think they should be and yet you weaken them by abandoning the fight. You condemn them for not winning more battles and yet you acknowledge the need for more strength. OOIDA has some strength in numbers and of course the greater the number the greater the advantage. The primary strength is in member involvement. OOIDA notifies members when action is needed, at least those members who are set up to receive notifications. They can not force the members to receive them and they can not force those who do receive them to act on them. You are the embodiment of the horse who was led to water.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I renewed my membership, as I do every year at the Expedite Expo, and support the positive comments of Leo, Danny, Big Joe and my fellow members of the owner/operator community's greatest voice

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
If they can keep the 34 hour restart great
If they can keep the 11 hour drive time for us great
If they can bring back the jump in the sleeper for 5hr to reset great
If they can bring back run single or the 5 and 5 rule for teams great.
IF they can support us So we can do the Jobs so we can make the monie so we can go home more often Great.

But if they cant then what good are they. All mouth and Hoop and false Promises.

The ones that pass the laws need to come out and ride with the singles and the Teams so they know how it realy is out here.
But instead as it seems most of them are against truckers.

But then again mabe somebody outa get Hillery on our Side and then just maybe TED Kennedy and the Rest of the Thugs Would help us out then again. As most Demos go any way they got there Fingers in the cookie Jars already so to speak. Get my Drift

Hey the President and The V-MAN (George and DK) can Help

Kev

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Split sleeper was ignored by the same judge who's cutting us
>down to 10 hrs, and took away the 34 hr reset. Can't blame
>OOIDA... at least they were there.
>
>Fuel surcharge didn't make it thru the Senate. ATA had more
>clout to buy off our officials.
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!
Split sleeper wasn't ignored . It is addressed in the decision if you read it . So just showing up gets OOIDA positive points . If you hired an attorney for a court case you should easily win but you ended up losing would you happily pay the fee and say "Well ,the attorney was there . "

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Fort Wayne,
>
>If you took your issues to OOIDA with the same presentation
>that you bring issues to this forum, I can understand why
>you did not get a response.
>
>If your teams not winning...leave the game, right? They
>don't need your support, You gotta take care of YOU!!!
>
>You really do need to take a POSITIVE PILL!!!
>
>Danny
OOIDA needs a positive pill . Look at the way they make their presentations , always publicly attacking FMCSA , NHTSA , ATA , and other organizations . You don't criticize everyone in the industry and expect to win when you oppose them with poorly prepared arguements .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Theres a saying "you only get as much outta something as to how much is put into it" sometning like that....

NOW for the 3rd times.... What are they planning to do about split sleeper berths???

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>A good reality check and 6 more months in this biz and he's
>over around the bend....he'll never make it...too stressed
>already and that not a good thing.
>
>
>NOW......WHATS the next step about this split berth
>ruling????
>
>
>WAIT...never mind why should I care? I am just a lowly 4
>wheeler. Oh...I know why I care....I don't want you guys
>running me over cuzz your too tired because they are forcing
>you to drive 10 and 10! and feelin like crud. Be safe!
Let me give you one scenario where split sleeper actually made many solo drivers MORE fatigued . With the new rules if a driver starts at 6 a.m. he can run no longer than 8 p.m. . Here;s what happened to many under the old rules . A driver stops for the night at 10 p.m. and takes an 8 hour break . He starts at 6 a.m. , drives an hour to the shipper . He is told he won't be loaded for another 4 hours . He notifies dispatch and is told to take 4 hours in the sleeper . Now his work day is extended by 4 hours and how much rest will he get in that 4 hours . Many drivers abused that law falsifying logs recording waiting or loading time as sleeper berth and working days of 16 hours or more . I'm sure this caused many more fatigue caused wrecks than the new rules . I'm so tired of people whining about having to run 10 hours straight . That's so tough sitting in an a/c air ride cab , with the cruise control set . Yes , I do it . I drive plenty of 10 and 11 hour driving days . These whiners wouldn't last 5 hours in conditions that existed when HOS were first written . No A/C , no power steering , poor heat , no air ride , no synchronized transmissions and those MEN drove 10 hours . Who says you have to drive 10 hours straight anyway ? Are you chained to the steering wheel ? If your scheduling doesn't allow you to take a break you need to find a new carrier or get out of the industry but I don't know of any factories with sleeping areas so you can take a nap halfway through the shift and many of them work 12 hour shifts . Just to get back to why I dropped OOIDA . They proved useless when I needed their services . They could not provide me with an insurance carrier to provide full coverage in KY . A little searching will find better prices for all the services they provide . When I called them for assistance in obtaining copies of billing invoices after I left a carrier I got no help . They asked why I didn't ask for invoices with the settlement (Because drivers that made waves like that previously got the worst loads later ) . I was just told "Well , now you know better " Yes , I knew better than to waste my money on OOIDA membership . Being the ONLY choice doesn't make them a good choice . Not supporting losers doesn't make me a quitter . I'll fight my own battles , contact my own representatives . The article in U.S.A. Today about the speed limited petition was the result of me writing U.S.A. Today and asking them to report on them . Unlike other reports in the biased media , The U.S.A. Today article gave an unbiased report on both sides of the issue . When "Road Star " magazine had an article with ridiculous statements by Pat Quinn , ATA Chairman , and U.S. Xpress CEO , like "Responsible carriers know speed is the number one killer " , I wrote to the editor blasting Quinn and the ATA and my comments were in an editorial in the next issue . That's what would get results if more people would do more than just reach in their pocket and fork over money to a poorly led organization that will never be respected in the industry and courts even if it increases its membership 10 fold .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OVM, I think you probably need to ask them directly what they are going to do about split sleeper. I do not know so I can't tell you no matter how many times you ask. Apparently nobody else on here is a board member either so nobody else has that answer either.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Insurance is a HUGE headache and problem. It takes companies far larger than OOIDA to have in insurance presence in all 50 states and even then they aren't always competitive. This is another area that gets back to they do all they can with what they have to work with.

Show me an organization that takes the correct side on issues as much as OOIDA. Show me an organization that works on our behalf as much as OOIDA. They may not take on every individual problem and they may not solve every individual problem but they are there on the major issues. There isn't any other group that can say that.

If you want them to win more then back them up. A tight end that quits running patterns because he doesn't get enough passes isn't supporting and building the team, he's being a rear end. If all 2 plus million drivers on the road were OOIDA members what do you think would happen??? It isn't the motion of the ocean, it's the size of the wave in this case.

It's easier to be a complainer and a quitter, oh, and a whiner.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
OVM. Please don't take this wrong. We all know you ask the question three times about the split sleeper. I do not know what their next step will be as I can work with the new rule. My point is if you really want to know call OOIDA it is even a free call 800-444-5791. I bet you will get your answer from OOIDA. Another reason to be a member. Joe
God bless our Military and Vets!