OOIDA is awesome!!!

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
On Thursday Robin and I was in the area of OOIDA and decided to stop in introduce ourselves and visit with the OOIDA staff. These people are awesome as we were able to tour the facility and visit with any department we wanted. We spent over three hours visiting with different departments. We were convinced this is well worth the money. OOIDA really does a lot for Owner Operators and the trucking industry.
God bless our Military and Vets.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm glad you got the chance to see the OOIDA offices and visit with people there. OOIDA is a worthy organization. For drivers near Kansas City, OOIDA headquarters are easily visited. They even have truck parking. :D

I-70, Exit 24, Grain Valley, MO; just west of Exit 28, where the Petro and TA truck stops are in Oak Grove, MO.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Yea, sure - they have done so much for all of us.......gee we get high paying frieght, they fight for us day in and day out........all jokes aside, I will not renew my membership. I have taken several key issues to them and never heard back from anyone there. What a waste......that is why I only worry about myself and me only. In fact, the past two weeks with that thought process and I have never been given so many miles.

Fort Wayne
Now That Is Stupid!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Hey Mr. Positive,
When you drop your OOIDA membership how about dropping EO also. I haven't seen one post on here from you that wasn't negative. If your life is so miserable or if this business makes you so miserable why don't you go do something else???? You're really a bring down.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
He has a point though . What happened with OOIDA and the split sleeper law and the fuel surcharge ? How about negative comments OOIDA has broadcast criticizing FMCSA and NHTSA and written to ATA members criticzing ATA leadership ? That's really the way to gain respect and cooperation in the industry . I also dropped my OOIDA membership long ago .

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Split sleeper was ignored by the same judge who's cutting us down to 10 hrs, and took away the 34 hr reset. Can't blame OOIDA... at least they were there.

Fuel surcharge didn't make it thru the Senate. ATA had more clout to buy off our officials.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Fort Wayne,

If you took your issues to OOIDA with the same presentation that you bring issues to this forum, I can understand why you did not get a response.

If your teams not winning...leave the game, right? They don't need your support, You gotta take care of YOU!!!

You really do need to take a POSITIVE PILL!!!

Danny

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Greg334. Interesting you ask if I invited them to EO. Really I did when we were talking about our new membership fee I remembered that LDB said give his membership number to get a discount so we went on line to find his number. We did find his number and it did in fact get us a discount on our membership. LDB I wanted to thank you for the advice. Greg I always enjoy your post!
God bless our Military and Vets.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
bigjoep89
Thanks.

I just send OOIDA an email asking them to contact Dreamer or Lawrence to arrange someone to come here and 'talk' with us about our concerns and questions.

Let's see what happens.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't get me wrong here....BUT over in the Soapbox forum a lot of you's are knocking the lobby groups as being one of the sins of the political arena....now here you all are supporting the very thing that is destroying the country more then helping. I am confused??? doh

BTW..I don't think they did enough on the split berth issue..It's unsafe, unhealthy. They should have done more. And now they are not appealing this???

fortwayne

Not a Member
Ok, first let me say, sure I am negative on this site because most of you JA think you are always right.
Also, I criticise the OOIDA, sure, why not. I have failed, thus far, to make decent money for several reasons and I do not blame anyone but me. BUT, the industry is failing and laws are being pushed onto us because the OOIDA has failed us! Stop making excuses for these little SOB's......it is not the size of membership, etc etc. They just get pushed around by other associations that are better orgainized, know the legal system and political system better and know how to get the job done better - it is that simple.
The OOIDA as we know it TODAY is a small, weak, unorgainized, unpowerful, unknowledgeable (in the legal system) association of misfits.
Our money and time is better served taking our issues to our carriers or god help us - ANOTHER association, group or alliance to address the issues facing the EXPEDITE INDUSTRY.
Stop making excuses for the OOIDA, the industry being on some sort of roller coaster because it has always been that way - the problem with this industry is us, - the frickn' drivers and o/o's who stand here with our head up our tails letting all these regulations, rules and laws change coming from the feds or our carriers take effect and we just roll with the punches, saying ain't notin' we can do about it that is just the way it goes. Then have the nerve to tell everyone to join the OOIDA to fight the issues they have already lost or to take on other challenges they can not tackle. IF your happy that 'gee at least they were there' just send me your $25 dollars and I can just stand there as well.
Holy turd - the industry is going down the drain and we are the one's that hold the plug. Do we keep letting OOIDA, the feds, and the carriers win without us saying anything or are we happy just to come on the site and act like there isn't anything we can do, we have to cut back, etc and then come right back here and ACT like everyting is fine.
Call me whatever you want I do not really care, all I know is that I am tired of watching so many of you coming on here and telling me and all the other newcomers to just shut up, read, learn, we don't know what we are talking about, the industry these and that and bla bla bla bla bla.
THE INDUSTRY IS ON LIFE SUPPORT AND THE OOIDA helped put it there. And you, being to blind to open up your window shades to see what is really going on, and to filled with pride, need to wake up and notice the crisis.
I have made mistakes, refused way to many loads, came home way to many times - so that is part if not the whole problem on why I have not made any money and I can accept and assume the blame for MYSELF.
But - when will some of you wake up and notice who is to blame for the industry wages, etc going down the toilet?
OK, now please stand by because here comes the excuses from some of you- competition, customers watching their cost, supply and demand, etc etc etc............you are missing the point.
We control our own future - we have allowed others to interfere with it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know, I can't say here what I'd like to say about those who are bashing OOIDA. If you are getting out of OOIDA then get out of trucking too to complete your foolishness. There's a fine old saying "there is strength in numbers" and in this case it's true. You don't strengthen our position or OOIDA by being a negative spewing millstone. They fought hard on the issues mentioned and did it from the correct side of the argument. That's more than you can say for the ATA and the rest of them! OOIDA is growing every year, in spite of some people, and they are getting more done for us every year. Quitting isn't the answer. Getting out there and getting more people involved is the answer. It's just a lot easier to be a quitter and a complainer.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Leo is 100% correct, IMO. But I would like to ask Ft Wayne a question: What, in your opinion, should we, the O/O & drivers be doing, to solve the problem?
Do you have any reasonable suggestions to contribute?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
OOIDA is the only organization that truly "represents" the DRIVER! Represents is the operative word here. OOIDA can help make a driver aware of issues that effect them but OOIDA can only do so much. It's still up to the individual.

To make the statement:
"THE INDUSTRY IS ON LIFE SUPPORT AND THE OOIDA helped put it there."

Is way off base! In the trucking industry, for the most part, drivers are their own worst enemy when it comes down to it. When drivers drive illegal, haul cheap freight etc. they are just hurting the industry as a whole. If all drivers would put into practice what OOIDA says and run legal, be professional, don't haul cheap freight etc. the trucking industry would improve.
Luckily, the expediting side of this industry isn't like the general freight side. But the bottom line is that we are all professional drivers, and OOIDA is for US!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I repeat since Mr.FW stloe my flame:

Don't get me wrong here....BUT over in the Soapbox forum a lot of you's are knocking the lobby groups as being one of the sins of the political arena....now here you all are supporting the very thing that is destroying the country more then helping. I am confused??? doh

BTW..I don't think they did enough on the split berth issue..It's unsafe, unhealthy. They should have done more. And now they are not appealing this???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lobbying for bridges to nowhere is ruining things. Organizing as a group to promote safety and common sense isn't. OOIDA does the latter and does all it can with what it has to work with. They do a good job within the limitations of their membership level and member participation. It's easier though to be a quitter and complainer.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"It's easier though to be a quitter and complainer."

Hey thats was FW the quitter!!!

Since none of us were in court and the split sleeper berth was or seemed to be dismissed easily...IF it were such a safety and health issue all I can assume is that it wasn't presented on its own merits.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sometimes, OVM, issues are dismissed on technical grounds that have nothing to do with their merits - and I seem to remember reading that the sleeper berth provision was one of those. Corrections/clarification, anyone?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW..nice meeting you as well at the Expo...

I am far from a lawyer but I know some of our resident house lawyers will step in....

This sleeper berth can't be Re presented for the court to hear on it's own???