One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the best I see that can happen with the tighter insurance requirements and oversight...less loads and more brokers jumping on board.......is fewer of them on the road...they'll go and scam another field....
its enevitable, the penny pinching brokers and road scammers will seek each other out....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
why do we have to accept more regulation? we are not the only ones out here....

How about load brokers using underinsured vehicles to save a penny.....IF they get caught not verifying to the best they can...
the punishment....Bond Revoked...they are out of business

how about insurance brokers that write a policy that skirts the rules to pass their companies rules they represent?

Punishment: loss of License..out of business.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand its easy to let someone stand up and fight for what they believe in,that might just might benefit you.Nothing personal of course.

sir....your campaign while has great intentions can have some unseen consequences down the road...
there are NO regulations for vans only moral rules.....
overweight? is not technically illegal. Only in a civil court when they get sued. they are guilty of being stupid and gambling with public safety.

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is us...substitute managers for brokers and carriers....LOL

11330047_904079742963848_1840862933545523527_n.jpg

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Deadhead, you're in a very competitive industry. Searching for a scapegoat may make one feel better, but running 30 or 40 old Penske type box trucks out of business won't make a dent. They probably constitute less than 1% of the cargo van/Sprinter market searching for expedite loads. If a third of them are out of service at any given moment and another third are under load, that leaves very few to be concerned with. If they are hauling 4 or 5 pallets at a time, they aren't really your competitor in vans.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deadhead, you're in a very competitive industry. Searching for a scapegoat may make one feel better, but running 30 or 40 old Penske type box trucks out of business won't make a dent. They probably constitute less than 1% of the cargo van/Sprinter market searching for expedite loads. If a third of them are out of service at any given moment and another third are under load, that leaves very few to be concerned with. If they are hauling 4 or 5 pallets at a time, they aren't really your competitor in vans.

Thank you for that point....:)

exactly if they are hauling 3,500 - 5,000 lbs they are not taking my loads but a straights load...

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
sir....your campaign while has great intentions can have some unseen consequences down the road...
there are NO regulations for vans only moral rules.....
overweight? is not technically illegal. Only in a civil court when they get sued. they are guilty of being stupid and gambling with public safety.
Let me say this about that,I don't want be scaled,I don't DOT to have anymore control over me than they have already.We can seat here and pick something death but at the end we dealing with the way of life and an Industry I can assume we all like or we be doing something else.I don't think i'm wrong trying to bring this issue to the forefront.As a forum we are discussing this, I was planning to call Washington as I was advised to do,I elected not to its not because I don't have there phone number.I think the ATeam has a good plan. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.FRD.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as always...you are free to do whatever you please...but just don't expect agreement from all....
I am legal...my carrier is legal....we've done our part....now let others do their part...
let the insurance companies do their part
shippers do their part
brokers do their part
carriers do their part

together we can make a difference by coming at the illegal ones from all sides and squeezing.

for your time and inclination....Thank you

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I agree competitive business.You are right I'm just looking to make myself feel better.Thank you for your reply.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
EVERYONE needs to fight and push back against those that diminish this industry. No one person, or company can do it alone. But it is nice to see people concerned and actually talking about the issues. It is a baby step, but still a first one!

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Just for me personally I find my life simpler and stress level lower when I don't worry about what others do. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that but I like things better that way.
I have a friend how has a Sprinter in the shop with a large bill he going to have to pay to stay in the game.He called me and I felt his pain, he been running for about a $1 a mile.He has his concerns.I told him there more like them facing costly repairs.My advise is hang in there at 18% apr he'll pay it off in a couple of years.His wife wants him quit and get another job.Was that good advise or should I told my friend I don't worry what others do.Thanks for your reply

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what others do, maybe I'm just not comprehending, sorry. BTW I also have a sprinter. We all have our own feelings and opinions and need to go with those. What works for you or I might differ for the third guy. It makes us unique.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems the OP is trying to unionize one of the most anti-union segments in the transportation industry. How are you gonna do it? Getting us all on-board mad at the Penske trucks driven by foreign labor? Good luck, you may need it.

Look, I'm no fan of illegal and dangerous vehicles being on the road. But-- there are already laws that cover that. A Penske truck that has a sign that says he's rated under 10K, but you know he's gotta be well over that-- he's illegal, and the troopers will have a field-day with him IF you can tell what you know and prove it if asked.

Howsomever-- if you're asking us to join your bandwagon to get mad at them dirty ferriners coming in and taking your job-- you may have an uphill fight. Most everybody here is the descendant somewhere in the past of "ferriners"-- many of whom were not well liked when they came here. The Irish and the Italians just to name two that I can think of. There used to be help-wanted signs that had the caveat that if you were Irish don't bother to apply. So--- your bogeyman is Eastern European-- specifically Russian. They maybe come here looking for the same chance your ancestors came here looking for. So you respond "Hey, I've got mine-- pull up the ladder" and try to get as many of us to sign on to that sentiment as you can. OK, whatever.

Reactions: cheri1122