One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Now I think I know how Gen Custer felt when looked up and saw all those Indians in that valley.Some of you think all want to do is :censoredsign: about the issue we face in our industry in today market.I promised no to say where they came from or what color there trucks are. I've never been a leader( don't want to be) I"m a follower type. I stopped in Dallas last week and that truck I saw in Eagle Pass a few weeks earlier was there and my blood pressure when up.That truck was loaded with (8),500lbs skids heading for Portland, Or.He left the L/Z with the bumper almost drawing the pavement.I was sure he wouldn't make it,but there it was.That day there where 10 trucks being loaded and I was the only one had a name on it. To make a long story short I started taking photos of these trucks,every where I go and they there I get a glossy.I stopped later in the week and there was a 16' unit getting fuel,little heavy in the rear it was from Ohio and I notice the tag wasn't Commercial. How ever he did have duct tape on the rear view mirror to hold it on.I keep thinking how does this happen. Here goes I spent a hour and a half on hold to to talk to Steve Summers at Truckin Radio last week.I like to think it when well,he was not aware that what happening out here on our roads,he agreed that this matter needs to be address.As luck has it I got a drop call on my cell from being on hold so long.I called back and there were callers ahead of me however they told me to Email Steve.I requested that he devote a show to this subject like they did Baltimore and Cleveland.I forwarded all my glossy (photos) so he could get a view that we see when seat for days hoping for a load....I'm hoping to hear from Steve Summers soon.If anybody of can help me in anyway with advice and who we should connect I well press forward. Save your comments and one liner digs for your buds.This not a :censoredsign: rant or what where.We are all in this together.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
No we're not "in this together". This is business, pure and simple.

You want solidarity? Join a labor union.

Sorry if that's cold and hard, but if it comes down to my family or yours getting groceries, I'll be sharpening my knife.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Other than gathering the pictures have you taken other steps to fix the issue? What enforcement agencies have you contacted? Since we know that they come from the Chicago area you might want to start with IL as well as the DOT. Just make sure that what you write or say comes from a place of concern over safety rather than hate, or at least make sure it seems that way.

Reactions: Windsor

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.......... and my blood pressure when up.

Why punish self? I hear your pain but ended up with the Stroke is not exactly a good outcome.

These issues have been going on for a long time. Not only in this sector of business, but all other sectors as well.

Sure, we don't agree of what we see, though at some point we need to look at ourselves too.

There was an instance in my previous early career, in which I experienced the similar situation. The more I tried to control it, the more frustration and anger I got. I was hurting me. Not good...

Then, I looked within me and found the answer:)

......Projection.

I truely hope this is not your case. May peace be with you brother:)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Projection

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All I can say is be careful what you wish for, wanting one group checked by dot could result in everyone in a van crossing scales etc. My other problem is I never like to automatically lump an entire group in a bad light. Is very Russian running illegal, absolutely not. Is every American running legal, nope. Just like every yellow penske truck is not running rebel nor is every normal white cargo, or sprinter type van running legal.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny thing about that, department: Back in the days when I was running for a local courier outfit, loading at the warehouse-- I pulled out overloaded more than I care to think about. My cargo van/Sprinter (I drove several vehicles over a 20-year period) was on the rubber blocks more than once.

Since I left there and started driving for the outfit I'm with now--- not even once. I've been close to limits a few times, but never illegal. One time they asked me to push the limit, but that would have been too much weight over the rear axle for too many miles, so I said "no" and didn't do it.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Funny thing about that, department: Back in the days when I was running for a local courier outfit, loading at the warehouse-- I pulled out overloaded more than I care to think about. My cargo van/Sprinter (I drove several vehicles over a 20-year period) was on the rubber blocks more than once.

Since I left there and started driving for the outfit I'm with now--- not even once. I've been close to limits a few times, but never illegal. One time they asked me to push the limit, but that would have been too much weight over the rear axle for too many miles, so I said "no" and didn't do it.
You did the right thing

We all have been to the limit with everything to do with trucking,at one time or another.Today everyone wants to talk about Baltimore/Cleveland issues.These are social issues that are not going to be corrected with phone call Your mother and father I hope told you about difference between right and wrong and how to conduct yourself I'm sure.Maybe that the reason you said no.I know mine did. I guess I well have to join a Union so someone can tell the difference in right and wrong,we can vote on it.Still pushing back the attack.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It would not be an industry-saving solution but it may help some. What keeps you from simply reporting the illegal trucks? You have photos. You seem to know the loads and even the pickup and delivery locations. You could easily provide a detailed report to the state patrols of the states the trucks are running in at the time.

Study up a bit on how to make a police report (Google it). Prepare ahead of time so you have the phone numbers, email address or web site address to make such a report. Maybe stop at a scale the illegal truck just passed and make your report there. There is a good chance they'll be looking for that truck up the road and cite multiple violations.

If a trooper receives a fact-based, reliable report in a format law enforcement is accustomed to, (truck description, (state) licence number ___-____, overloaded, no commercial tags, known to be hauling commercial freight, driver description, last seen northbound on I-35 at mile marker XXX, believed to be headed toward Oregon, and even sees a photo of the offending truck, it is a solid report that would likely trigger a response. Ask to remain anonymous if you wish. The truck would likely be stopped. The shipment would be disrupted. And those involved would be none the wiser as how that came to be. The shipper may think twice before using that "carrier" or broker again.

There is a small army of legitimate expediters out there. If they banded together, not as a union but as cooperative competitors to call it in, a large volume of reports like this could significantly disrupt the shippers who use fly-by-night operations. And it would likely do so without significantly raising the risk of new regulations on cargo vans. New regulations are not needed. Laws already exist under which fly-by-night operators can be cited. What's lacking are the eyes and ears that can help law enforcement more-easily detect and stop these trucks.

How many times does a shipper need to fail his or her customer before a new carrier is found? Shippers talk to each other as do brokers. If word gets out that thousands of branded expediters are calling it in and law enforcement is stopping more fly-by-night trucks, quality may trump price when shippers and brokers make their carrier decisions.

Expedite Expo Seminar
Fifteen Minute Education Block at Driver Orientation
Article in ExpediteNOW
Handout Shared With Expediters by Expediters (give one to an unbranded truck driver and watch him sweat).

"How To Identify and Report an Illegal Expediter"

Last edited:

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
All I can say is be careful what you wish for, wanting one group checked by dot could result in everyone in a van crossing scales etc. My other problem is I never like to automatically lump an entire group in a bad light. Is very Russian running illegal, absolutely not. Is every American running legal, nope. Just like every yellow penske truck is not running rebel nor is every normal white cargo, or sprinter type van running legal.
It seem that if your legal what difference does it make if you enter the scales.The only down turn is those 15 hours deliver direct loads would suffer.I get your point,I don't want to enter the scales.Since then no and I mean no enforcement out,what do you think should be done?Wait until some less than road worthy truck kills someone and when the dust settles were back to square one.I don't have the answer. Like I said before I feel things are going get any better,its seems to be more and more out there.Maybe the only way to shut it (them) down is DOT would make so all truck doing interstate commerce cross the scale.I believe the rates would go up if we where on a level playing field ( like road worthy trucks,insurance,medical cards,DOT approved sleepers ect).I don't know what you drive but I've been out here 13 years and I've gone thur a few new trucks, when my truck brakes down the dealer rides me hard and puts me away wet.It costly to do business what ever you drive.Hauling for less is wrong,why would we do that,why do we want to let (them) corner our market. Thank you for your reply.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
It would not be an industry-saving solution but it may help some. What keeps you from simply reporting the illegal trucks? You have photos. You seem to know the loads and even the pickup and delivery locations. You could easily provide a detailed report to the state patrols of the states the trucks are running in at the time.

Study up a bit on how to make a police report (Google it). Prepare ahead of time so you have the phone numbers, email address or web site address to make such a report. Maybe stop at a scale the illegal truck just passed and make your report there. There is a good chance they'll be looking for that truck up the road and cite multiple violations.

If a trooper receives a fact-based, reliable report in a format law enforcement is accustomed to, (truck description, (state) licence number ___-____, overloaded, no commercial tags, known to be hauling commercial freight, driver description, last seen northbound on I-35 at mile marker XXX, believed to be headed toward Oregon, and even sees a photo of the offending truck, it is a solid report that would likely trigger a response. Ask to remain anonymous if you wish. The truck would likely be stopped. The shipment would be disrupted. And those involved would be none the wiser as how that came to be. The shipper may think twice before using that "carrier" or broker again.

There is a small army of legitimate expediters out there. If they banded together, not as a union but as cooperative competitors to call it in, a large volume of reports like this could significantly disrupt the shippers who use fly-by-night operations. And it would likely do so without significantly raising the risk of new regulations on cargo vans. New regulations are not needed. Laws already exist under which fly-by-night operators can be cited. What's lacking are the eyes and ears that can help law enforcement more-easily detect and stop these trucks.

How many times does a shipper need to fail his or her customer before a new carrier is found? Shippers talk to each other as do brokers. If word gets out that thousands of branded expediters are calling it in and law enforcement is stopping more fly-by-night trucks, quality may trump price when shippers and brokers make their carrier decisions.

Expedite Expo Seminar
Fifteen Minute Education Block at Driver Orientation
Article in ExpediteNOW
Handout Shared With Expediters by Expediters (give one to an unbranded truck driver and watch him sweat).

"How To Report an Illegal Truck"

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Your the man......that was my goal when I started out.If you ever run for President I'll vote for you.There strength in numbers.Or i've been told.You seem to have a good plan i like it.I hope there more out there that feel the same way want to help.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seem that if your legal what difference does it make if you enter the scales.The only down turn is those 15 hours deliver direct loads would suffer.I get your point,I don't want to enter the scales.Since then no and I mean no enforcement out,what do you think should be done?Wait until some less than road worthy truck kills someone and when the dust settles were back to square one.I don't have the answer. Like I said before I feel things are going get any better,its seems to be more and more out there.Maybe the only way to shut it (them) down is DOT would make so all truck doing interstate commerce cross the scale.I believe the rates would go up if we where on a level playing field ( like road worthy trucks,insurance,medical cards,DOT approved sleepers ect).I don't know what you drive but I've been out here 13 years and I've gone thur a few new trucks, when my truck brakes down the dealer rides me hard and puts me away wet.It costly to do business what ever you drive.Hauling for less is wrong,why would we do that,why do we want to let (them) corner our market. Thank you for your reply.
My answer to not wanting to cross scales is a simple one. At that point we would also be under hours of service limitations and included in every other regulation. To that I say a big fat no thank you.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
My answer to not wanting to cross scales is a simple one. At that point we would also be under hours of service limitations and included in every other regulation. To that I say a big fat no thank you.
I like a man of few words."Tact the art of telling someone to go to hell and making them happy there on there way."

Reactions: OntarioVanMan