No Forced Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well true to form the Load 1 cheer leading squad trashed the OP. And since Chef was so kind as to post his rate per loaded mile could someone post the percentage split between Load 1 and their contractors so I could get a good idea of what Load 1 is charging their customers. Might come in handy someday.

I doubt that there is a set percentage paid by Load 1. Why can't you figure out what a ballpark figure is on your own? Maybe you could go into business with the OP, you won't know how to come up with rates but it won't matter because he will just turn the load down anyway. Looks like a perfect match.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi , I wouldn t ride in or drive a sprinter that has those canadian wild child flowers painted inside .

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

charlie4477

Seasoned Expediter
guess again...if u're gonna post to my question try reading my response and u won't have to guess:)
If every company is non forced dispatch...why would a company punish a driver for turning down a load?

charlie4477

Seasoned Expediter
I guess working at landstar all those years spoiled me. Alot of these clowns that have to have a dispatcher lead them around would never make it with the big blue star. Most of the dispatchers at Load 1 act like you're bleeding them dry if you ask for $1.50 a loaded mile for a D unit. But that's what happens when you get most of your freight from the internet and overflow from carriers with shippers for customers..by the time it gets to the truck there are to many hands in the pot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It appears the foundation of this problem is the redefining of "non-forced dispatch" to mean "I can do as I please with no consequences whatsoever". First you have to understand what "forced dispatch" means, and if you don't understand that, you have no hope of being able to accurately define the opposite. Even more basic is understanding what it means to be "forced" to do something. If you don't understand that, you can't possibly understand what the term means when applied to being dispatched.

Fact is, if you are allowed to turn down loads and are not compelled against your will to accept and run the load, then it is not forced dispatch. Anything beyond that is a different issue unrelated to forced or non-forced. There are consequences to your actions and decisions regardless of the industry, and if you are an expediter or a drywall contractor, if you refuse enough jobs, then you will likely be regarded as unreliable and suitable for consideration, and your services will no longer be solicited. It's really that simple.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, did you bother to read the lease agreement you signed, or did you read the paper work you were given during orientation...

From the paper work given to each person that goes through orientation that is signed for that is titled: Dispatch Operations Policy

On the 2nd page under the heading: Load Refusal

Load One may consider the refusal of a load or other work assignment an act of resignation if the driver can legally and safely accomplish the work, and the work does not conflict with a previously approved need for personal time off or a coming event. Acts of load refusal will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Generally, under normal circumstances load refusal at Our company is unacceptable. The company will consider the refusal of a load or work assignment acceptable only in specific situations:

* if the assigned driver cannot safely and legally perform the work.
* if the work conflicts with an approved personal need for time off or upcoming event.
* if another driver(s) with less seniority is available and can perform the work on time in a safe
and legal manner

In the last instance the refusing driver will be dispatched last based on available work...

Kinda covers it all right there..something tells me that like most other drivers (including myself), you didn't read the paperwork you signed for until there was a direct reason to and then it was just to find the answer to something specfic, not all of it in the from ft to back..

But as I said, I wish you luck in your next endeavor..

Oh and as for the rate paid, the % that was given is the "Base" %..it goes up from there depending on circumstances and each run is evaluated on its own merits...:D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was going with the Load1 guys until I read the policy. Seems to be a loosely enforced FORCED DISPATCH .

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok, did you bother to read the lease agreement you signed, or did you read the paper work you were given during orientation...

From the paper work given to each person that goes through orientation that is signed for that is titled: Dispatch Operations Policy

Kinda covers it all right there..something tells me that like most other drivers (including myself), you didn't read the paperwork you signed for until there was a direct reason to and then it was just to find the answer to something specfic, not all of it in the from ft to back..

But as I said, I wish you luck in your next endeavor..

Oh and as for the rate paid, the % that was given is the "Base" %..it goes up from there depending on circumstances and each run is evaluated on its own merits...:D

I would have to review that. That might actually be for the company drivers. We don't write people up for turn downs. We do record them. We do this as we pay layover and dh and turn downs will void this. It also allows a fleet owner and staff to see the lost revenue activity of a unit Obviously the poster had many turn downs over the time period which he clearly states. At a certain level it is no longer in the best interests of the company or or the driver to try and work together. I wish Howard well.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Load One may consider the refusal of a load or other work assignment an act of resignation if the driver can legally and safely accomplish the work, and the work does not conflict with a previously approved need for personal time off or a coming event. Acts of load refusal will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Generally, under normal circumstances load refusal at Our company is unacceptable. The company will consider the refusal of a load or work assignment acceptable only in specific situations:

* if the assigned driver cannot safely and legally perform the work.
* if the work conflicts with an approved personal need for time off or upcoming event.
* if another driver(s) with less seniority is available and can perform the work on time in a safe
and legal manner

In the last instance the refusing driver will be dispatched last based on available work...

I was going with the Load1 guys until I read the policy. Seems to be a loosely enforced FORCED DISPATCH .

That's is exactly how I read it too.......

I wonder if there's more to this policy that has not been published...... I'd like to have the handbook in my hands to form a better opinion on exactly what it covers with regards to Load Refusals.

But, a LOT has been covered, and very very VALID points have been made Against the OP. Then again, this little insert from Chef covering the turn down policy clearly shows Load 1 has you guys by the balls. They can use this AGAINST any IC they want......and in many many different ways too. (Kinda looks like they are too.....)

Unless there's other Policies that override this Policy in certain circumstances, Load 1 can terminate your contract for refusing .55 cent a mile loads, refusing to DH 190 miles for a 67 mile run, and there's probably 2-3 dozen examples one could use to show that "YES", Load 1 is a FORCED DISPATCH Expediter Service for IC's.

Simply Put, this here says it all..............

Generally, under normal circumstances load refusal at Our company is unacceptable.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That's is exactly how I read it too.......

I wonder if there's more to this policy that has not been published...... I'd like to have the handbook in my hands to form a better opinion on exactly what it covers with regards to Load Refusals.

But, a LOT has been covered, and very very VALID points have been made Against the OP. Then again, this little insert from Chef covering the turn down policy clearly shows Load 1 has you guys by the balls. They can use this AGAINST any IC they want......and in many many different ways too. (Kinda looks like they are too.....)

Unless there's other Policies that override this Policy in certain circumstances, Load 1 can terminate your contract for refusing .55 cent a mile loads, refusing to DH 190 miles for a 67 mile run, and there's probably 2-3 dozen examples one could use to show that "YES", Load 1 is a FORCED DISPATCH Expediter Service for IC's.

Simply Put, this here says it all..............

Again refer to my post above.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Again refer to my post above.

We were posting at the same time.......

I'm a sloowwwww typer.....didn't bother taking Typing Lessons in High School over 30 years ago!! :)

(Just Like not taking Spanish Lessons......WHO KNEW what our future had in store for us!!)

I understand your post too....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We were posting at the same time.......

I'm a sloowwwww typer.....didn't bother taking Typing Lessons in High School over 30 years ago!! :)

(Just Like not taking Spanish Lessons......WHO KNEW what our future had in store for us!!)

I understand your post too....

LOL. No like button on the iPad!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would have to review that. That might actually be for the company drivers.
Most of the policies in the handbook were written long ago and many of them are either out of date or are solely for company drivers and do not apply to the independent contractors, at least that's what I was told by two people in the back building and Mike the Senior. There are several examples I can give of rules that no longer apply and are not even considered, both in terms of policies and in terms of the actual contract people sign. The mandate of a Nextel cell phone is one of them. It's in the contract, but it's de facto meaningless as nobody cares, since it no longer applies.

Those who are not with Load 1, especially those who are not even expediters, think the rules are rigid and are applied hard and fast are sorely mistaken, and often their conclusions are just laughable. Load 1 operates first and foremost on the Golden Rule. As bizarre as that sounds, it's true. All policies are applied under that Rule, including, I suspect, what happened to the OP.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am going to chime in on why some contracts have general and sweeping rules in them. It's like my 12 page driver contract. It states that my drivers will be paid 30 days from the date that we receive the original paperwork! Well, I actually pay every 3-5 business days from the day that we receive a faxed copy of the proof of delivery. Does that mean that I can't pay earlier, well no. All it does is cover my butt if there is a problem with getting a driver paid faster. It's probably the same thing with the Load One contract. Some drivers will simply come in and turn down every load they are offered and there needs to be a blanket clause within the contract to be able to legally deal with the occasional bad apple.

Also, in the defense of any company that has a non-forced dispatch policy, it doesn't mean that you can sit there and turn each and every single bad load down. As a small company owner I can tell you this much that if one of my drivers is turning down a lot of freight and i've been working my butt off to get them a load, i'll just let them sit there for a while and focus my resources on other drivers who will go anywhere. I can still on both hands count how many times i've turned down a load in 6 years. It's not even close to 10. Sometimes you have to just go all in and see where the wave takes you.

This is a very exciting part of the business - to just take that 200 mile run that sets you up for the 1500 mile run! You have to be willing to pull that lever on the slot machine and get er done. I used to take a lot of loads into Canada for Panther and I got out each and every time! A lot of Ops would simply refuse those loads and try and wait for something better. Like I said earlier, blanket policies are in every contract for a reason "to legally deal with those certain people who are not team players!"

Last edited by a moderator:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I am going to chime in on why some contracts have general and sweeping rules in them. It's like my 12 page driver contract. It states that my drivers will be paid 30 days from the date that we receive the original paperwork! Well, I actually pay every 3-5 business days from the day that we receive a faxed copy of the proof of delivery. Does that mean that I can't pay earlier, well no. All it does is cover my butt if there is a problem with getting a driver paid faster. It's probably the same thing with the Load One contract. Some drivers will simply come in and turn down every load they are offered and there needs to be a blanket clause within the contract to be able to legally deal with the occasional bad apple.

Also, in the defense of any company that has a non-forced dispatch policy, it doesn't mean that you can sit there and turn each and every single bad load down. As a small company owner I can tell you this much that if one of my drivers is turning down a lot of freight and i've been working my butt off to get them a load, i'll just let them sit there for a while and focus my resources on other drivers who will go anywhere. I can still on both hands count how many times i've turned down a load in 6 years. It's not even close to 10. Sometimes you have to just go all in and see where the wave takes you.

This is a very exciting part of the business - to just take that 200 mile run that sets you up for the 1500 mile run! You have to be willing to pull that lever on the slot machine and get er done. I used to take a lot of loads into Canada for Panther and I got out each and every time! A lot of Ops would simple refuse those loads and try and wait for something better. Like I said earlier, blanket policies are in every contract for a reason "to legally deal with those certain people who are not team players!"

Really need the like button!

Status
Not open for further replies.