new express-1 sprinters

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
whats with all the new express-1 sprinter vans i see everywhere...i mean theres a ton of them, are they doing a new vehicle lease program or something, i think 2/3 rds of the fleet i see are new vans,,,figured maybe ontario could answer this one!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
whats with all the new express-1 sprinter vans i see everywhere...i mean theres a ton of them, are they doing a new vehicle lease program or something, i think 2/3 rds of the fleet i see are new vans,,,figured maybe ontario could answer this one!!!!

Not to my knowledge...they only have the lease program on the straights. (Hinos)

Some existing CV's were real slow so they upgraded to the Sprint..

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i have talked to a driver who was told a month ago that no new vans were being taken on until later in 2008. they must have made the time cut.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Same as Jack - guy I talked to was all ready to go orientation, after being previously pre-qualified, and was told that they were now full up and that they would NOT sign him on at this point.

Last edited:

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I was supposed to go to Orientation with E-1 on Dec 10th.
I recieved an e-mail from the Recruiter that the decision had just come down from Management that there was a Temp Freeze on all Vans both Cargo and Sprinters till at least Mid Jan or even Mid Feb , mainly because of the Holiday slow down ????
I was then told I will not be going to Orientation.
I hope this isn't called under the new tearms of EO as Carrier Bashing but I thought that the way they ( E-1) handled this was very unproffesional !
I can understand the Holiday slow down issues...
I had to call the Dodge Dealership and put off picking up the Sprinter and it caused me to rethink game plan,etc....
I called 2 other Cariers and explained what happened to me and both Recruiters had the exact same answer...That They ( E-1) should have honored my agreement to go to Orientation, that is what there Companies Policy are...Even if a frezze was put on..
I sent an E-Mail to that effect to the Recruiter at E-1 with NO Responce back !!
Now...
I am not bashing E-1 , I do like the Company but.....
Anyways...
I signed on with another Carrier and I am much happier...
AS far as E-1 and all the new Sprinters...
Caldwell Dodge sold a bunch of them in Nov and Dec and they were on with E-1..
I think a lot of them were already with E-1 in CV's or dropping down from STRT TRuck to Sprnters...???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RM...you sure got the short straw on that deal.....They should have put you thru...and of course other recruiters are going to side with you....Thier job is to get you to sign on....

Hope your gettin miles and smiles!! :0)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
The email part is cheesey but the other way to look at it is if they hired you on and didnt have any work for you then that could have hurt your bottom line even more than having you put the van on hold

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Scuba, they may have done you a favor. When you e-mailed the recruiter you should have copied someone in management so they would be aware of the situation.

E

express1man

Judging by all of the comments about Express-1, I take it every company is slow right now. I am new to this business but it seems that I sit more than I work. Is this common to do so much laying over? Am I with the right company?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Judging by all of the comments about Express-1, I take it every company is slow right now. I am new to this business but it seems that I sit more than I work. Is this common to do so much laying over? Am I with the right company?
How many miles did you drive for ex last week ?Or week before?

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Moot..
To answer your question..
Yes I also e-mailed to HR Director and spoke with her on phone because she called me ASAP after I forwarded to her !
She at the time was not aware of Freeze on Vans ( LOL)..She had to call the Recruiter !!!
I tried to reach someone on upper level but could not !!
I think what bothered me the most was "NO" Responce back from Recruiter !!!
Anyways...
Water Under the Bridge as they !!
WElcome to the world of Expediting !!!! LOL
RMCTT2
P.S.
Also , when I called the 2 others Carriers.. I already knew they were not looking for Vans/Sprinters at the time.. Just wanted an opinion on what Their Policies are....

E

express1man

I am certain I have not done a week over 1500 miles since I have started. I am always aval, always except even the short ones.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Be happy because 1500 miles per week it's good.You not gonna have to many weeks over 1500...

vipra

Expert Expediter
I am certain I have not done a week over 1500 miles since I have started. I am always aval, always except even the short ones.

It's been slow lately- I also drive for Express-1, and the last 2 months I've only had 1 week over 1500 miles. I'm always available as well.
In expediting you're always sitting more than driving, so get used to it. In the last 2 years with Express-1 I've averaged 1500 miles/week. I drove (non-expediting) trucks for 7 years and averaged 3000 mi/wk. Doing only 1500 mi/wk drove me nuts when I started expediting in a Sprinter, but I'm used to it now.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Vipra, if Panther had been upfront and told me to expect to sit for as much as I would carry Freight I would probably still be there.

starski

Seasoned Expediter
Would it be wise to trade a new sprinter 2500 170"wb for a straight truck these days? Will the sprinter owners ever peak again? If so,when?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was in West Memphis last week at the Flying J and saw a Express-1 cargo van being worked on. He drove for someone. He said that he is going into a Sprinter that he arranged through Express-1. At 250.00 a week for 60 months. I thought someone said they only lease purchase on Stright Trucks. Guess that's not true.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
$250 a week for 60 months.
Other than, "Holy crap!" words fail me.