New BCS Scanners

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am wondering also as it looks like we have to buy them from QC and not run down to our local scanner shop and get one or even use one we all ready own.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am concerned about the cost. I have to decide whether or not there is an gain to our operation for the expense. Costs for Clink and other required equipment keep going up with no additional return on the added expenses. Not a good formula for success of a small business. There has yet to even be a break even point on the new expenses. Going to have to look at this one long and hard.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the scanners are provided to us as part of our already overly inflated $35 weekly expense it can be a good program. If it costs even a penny more on the $35 then I'll just keep using the envelopes. I just hope it's not going to be a forced situation if it costs more.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have not used a TripPak box for awhile now and I do not miss them.... It has been fantastic to scan our bills after we finish a load and we are done with it.

When excepting some loads I consider the hassle factor and at times this can increase our rate. In the case of TripPak and scanning I consider the convenience factor and I do not EVER want to go back to hunting for a TripPak box.

I am hoping their will be other benefits to this including being able to send in Hazmat paperwork when requested and not have to ask the shipper if they will scan or looking for a fax machine. It would also be nice if we could easily scan back in paperwork that we have been asked to print and send back in.

There are some savings to not using TripPak as we do not look for boxes anymore or care about boxes. We do not have envelopes hanging around waiting to be sent or have the chance of losing an envelope before being dropped in a box.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are positive points about it but the flip side of the coin is that if one is maximizing their fuel purchasing dollars with the discounts available at the major truckstops then there's a trippak box less than 100 yards walking detour from 9x% of the fuel pumps one stops at.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It seems like there is always one or two trips each week that will require detouring X miles to a box, or waiting for the next cut off. Even a small detour can cost 15 or 20 bucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be nice if everyone could wait a week rather than take a detour but I'm sure some can't afford to wait even one week extra. Yes, at times it can cost a sawbuck or two to get to a box if one can't wait until the next fueling by a box.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We have not used a TripPak box for awhile now and I do not miss them.... It has been fantastic to scan our bills after we finish a load and we are done with it.

When excepting some loads I consider the hassle factor and at times this can increase our rate. In the case of TripPak and scanning I consider the convenience factor and I do not EVER want to go back to hunting for a TripPak box.

I am hoping their will be other benefits to this including being able to send in Hazmat paperwork when requested and not have to ask the shipper if they will scan or looking for a fax machine. It would also be nice if we could easily scan back in paperwork that we have been asked to print and send back in.

There are some savings to not using TripPak as we do not look for boxes anymore or care about boxes. We do not have envelopes hanging around waiting to be sent or have the chance of losing an envelope before being dropped in a box.

I would think that FEDEX will not be charging for the scanners because of the hughe savings on the TRIPAK fee for each envelope not sent because of the scanner.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We had the scanners at a previous carrier and it made life so much easier. We could either scan paperwork or logs. Other items didn't tend to go through so well, but not sure how it was set up.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would think that FEDEX will not be charging for the scanners because of the hughe savings on the TRIPAK fee for each envelope not sent because of the scanner.
Dream on. They are not going to pay for anything they can get out of.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it works the same as the rest of Clink does we are in BIG trouble. I can't WAIT to see what THIS is going to cost and will it be, as most things seem to be, MANDATORY, whether we need it or not?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We would not need scanners if they would accept the BOL's from a smart phone app like Drive Axle. We send in other paperwork using it.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Dream on. They are not going to pay for anything they can get out of.

redytrk, If FEDEX is saving $11.45 per TRIPAK envelope and there is approx. 450 dispatches per day, the savings is $5,152.50 each day! So in a years time, FEDEX saves $1,880,662.50...just from not using TRIPAK. That seems like a good incentive to get scanners in all contracted vehicles ASAP at no charge.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They DO NOT. Pay $11.00 per envelope.
We had been hoping for the scanners to arrive soon.

After talking it over, the value to us is not very high.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The scanner is incredibly handy. There is a dropdown menu with several choices. For example, you're in Canada and need to send your Ace, customs invoice, and all othet border entry paperwork. Another example is you just had a roadside level 1. Soon as the LEO hands you your inspection report, you scan and choosr Safety for your delivery option. We have done that twice, as we were also part of the test group. Also, a clink message comes back to you as a record of your transmission.

We like it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you were asked to pay for it, what dollar value would you put on it ?

Others in test group feel free to respond.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I think our qc/scanner charges we 30 or 32/wk at our previous carrier.

By the sounds of it this scanning set up has a lot more options than what we had.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think our qc/scanner charges we 30 or 32/wk at our previous carrier.

By the sounds of it this scanning set up has a lot more options than what we had.

If they want to add the scanner AND drop the price, I'm in !!

I'll probably get called for a random Monday. :)