Need help please! 28cplm????

Cacique

Active Expediter
Hi everybody i have a job offer to drive a e350 hicube out of atlanta and this is what i got offer:
28Cplm.
Owner paid for fuel tolls and everything else.

I don't have experience on the field.

Sent from my LG-MS695 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If that is a loaded mile it doesn't sound that great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Cacique

Active Expediter
Yes the owner told me 28 cents per loaded mile.
I don't have any experience but i know i can do this job "no trying to said is easy or anything like that so no negative comments please".
I don't have a cdl just my regular license I'm 31 years old and i can't get a cdl at this moment.

This is the only job responce i had have in the past 3 months.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its easy to figure out you would make 28 dollars every hundred miles. If he could get you decent miles a week maybe short term for experience. Just an example i was just driving a splinter for 40cpm. When you need work you have to do what you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Cacique

Active Expediter
That's what I'm thinking.
He said to start me a 28 cplm because not experience.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
So do you get anything for unloaded (deadhead) miles? Say you start in Atlanta, deliver to say Dayton, OH - 500 + or so miles. Do you make anything on the way back?

Deville

Not a Member
Hi everybody i have a job offer to drive a e350 hicube out of atlanta and this is what i got offer:
28Cplm.

How many miles a day? Will you be staying on the road? for how long? Does the van have sleeping quarters?

Keep in mind even Vanners can only drive a certain amount of miles a day.

.28cpm seems very low, & there is a safety factor to consider.

IvanTheGreat

Active Expediter
I started driving a straight truck last week and so far I'm making 27cpm thats on all/total miles and that's only after fuel ..I'm also paying for tolls and faxes and trippacks. I'm not liking the pay

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
28Cplm.

50 cpm is what you need to ask for imho. Had some friends that had that type of deal, yep 50cpm minimum. its a start.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
28Cplm.

His Van.....He pays for Fuel....Tolls....Maintenance.....EVERYTHING.....

I'd do it for .28 cents a mile if he can keep that van rolling/loaded at a decent pace.

.28 Cents a mile running at 60mph = $16.80 an Hour.

Let's say you get a 480 mile run......You run it at 65mph and get done in 7 1/2 hours. Your pay would be right at $135.00.....or.....right at $18.00 and hour.

I'd do this...as well as thousands of unemployed people out there....every day of the week. (7 1/2 hours of work for $135 Bucks!!)

Only problem I'd have with it is if you were only doing this twice a week - 3 times - Etc.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I started driving a straight truck last week and so far I'm making 27cpm thats on all/total miles and that's only after fuel ..I'm also paying for tolls and faxes and trippacks. I'm not liking the pay

No way in Heck would I run under these conditions....

Look Elsewhere..........QUICK!!

Cacique

Active Expediter
It will be over the road position the truck got a folding bed.
This is what i was told: 28cplm i can drive up to 700 miles a day.

Is no easy to look somewhere else since i don't have experience and i don't have a cdl.

Just yesterday call other add to drive sprinter vans and cargo vans they said they got the vans sitting with no driver but because i don't have experience they can't not help me.

Tell me where to look please

Cacique

Active Expediter
So do you get anything for unloaded (deadhead) miles? Say you start in Atlanta, deliver to say Dayton, OH - 500 + or so miles. Do you make anything on the way back?

Didn't said! :confused:

If anyone knows where could i go without experience or cdl?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Reply, 7 years ago when I started at Central Refridgerated I wasz paid 28 cpm with a CDL, 2 cents more than Swift!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're heard of The Incredibles, and you've heard of the Expendables. Now we have The Incomprehensibles.

Real, actual expediters know it's an exercise in futility to try and figure out an hourly wage for this job. It's meaningless, as time spent sitting is just as valuable, if not as productive. It's an employee mentality, as well.

As for the 50 cents per mile idea, unless the average line haul including FSC is $1.50 a mile, then 50 cents is incredibly out of line. The Rule of Thirds still apply, where one third goes to the truck, one third goes for operating expenses, and one third goes to the driver. On a standard 60/40 split with the driver getting the 40, an 85 cents a mile rate not including the FSC yields 85 cents times 40 percent equals 34 cents a mile. At 80 cents for the line haul it's 32 cents a mile.

28 cents is extremely low, regardless of how many miles you drive in a week. It's an fleet owner taking unfair advantage of the driver. Shippers and customers pay nothing for experience. Loads pay the market rate, regardless of the experience of the driver hauling it. A 10 year veteran takes a load for the same rate that a guy on his first load does. Unless you're just desperate for something, anything don't take a driving job paying a flat 28 cents per mile unless you have it in writing that it goes up to at least 32 cents per mile after 6 months, and 35 cents a mile after a year, because that's pretty much what everyone else is already getting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take the deal..it is not the best, but it will get you the experience you need.....considering the van you'd be driving the owner can't afford much more to make a profit himself......oh yeah..when you get to Dayton Oh....you get another load...you don't come home....doh....Good luck

Turtle....look at the van.....e350 high cube....lucky to get 12 mpg....and you know what our fleet owners pay here and it seems in line....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle....look at the van.....e350 high cube....lucky to get 12 mpg....and you know what our fleet owners pay here and it seems in line....
Well, with a 60/40 split with the driver paying fuel and getting the 60, and with fuel costing 34 cents a mile, 60 percent of .80 is 48 cents, plus the 20 odd cents for FSC, that equals 68 cents. Minus the 34 cents for fuel and the driver takes home 34 cents a mile. And that's on the low end conservative side assuming a rate of $1 a mile and only a FSC of 20 cents. It likely would be 10 to 15 cents more than that with FSC and rate combined, and the owner knows that. If the owner can get away with 28 cents a mile, especially using no experience as his justification, he's making out like a bandit, literally. I'd certainly want to know what this owner would pay for experience, and exactly what it would take to go from 28 cents to that experienced rate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, with a 60/40 split with the driver paying fuel and getting the 60, and with fuel costing 34 cents a mile, 60 percent of .80 is 48 cents, plus the 20 odd cents for FSC, that equals 68 cents. Minus the 34 cents for fuel and the driver takes home 34 cents a mile. And that's on the low end conservative side assuming a rate of $1 a mile and only a FSC of 20 cents. It likely would be 10 to 15 cents more than that with FSC and rate combined, and the owner knows that. If the owner can get away with 28 cents a mile, especially using no experience as his justification, he's making out like a bandit, literally. I'd certainly want to know what this owner would pay for experience, and exactly what it would take to go from 28 cents to that experienced rate.

I understand that....the rate is low, but not extremely low.....I am thinking .32 -.34....and yes the owner is fluffing him with that experience story....either way I'd imagine the owner will lead him by the nose anyways...keep in mind the guy just has to do this for maybe 6 months at most anyways till some experience kicks in and he can move on IF he still likes the biz...