My first 30 minute break

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's not a question of being tired it is a visibility issue. You can see much more in the daylight and you have more reaction time. More accident's happen at night. I agree less traffic etc. is a benefit and all but according to statistics night driving is more dangerous

I have never had occasion to study the statistics about the dangers of night driving. Do you have some sources to share? Do the statistics account for drinking while driving at night, the mechanical condition of the lighting systems of vehicles that crashed, deficient night-vision abilities of certain drivers, etc?

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm thinking that statistics that deem night driving more dangerous are extrapolated from accident records of noncommercial drivers, who are not accustomed to driving at night.
It's my preferred time to drive as well - I enjoy the less traffic and noise environment.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

It's my preferred time to drive as well - I enjoy the less traffic and noise environment.

Agreed plus the fact most scale houses are sleeping at that time.
I do like to get on day shift from time to time just to break things up. Split shift isnt bad either,,Later afternoon into Midnight hour,,Get a little sleep and by the time Dispatch gets around your log book is usally reset by then.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Night driving is what seperates the pros from everyone else. Besides I like getting from point A to B and not share the road with the iddiots. However I do agree everyone has thier limits and I respect hat also.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for the 30 minnite break all I can say is..
You see, I told you its not a big deal the restart provision is the real time waster, income limmiter, and potential safety risk we need to adress and change.

Bob Wolf.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2010 numbers, the most recent), the time of day when most accidents and fatalities occur is the same time when the most vehicles are on the road, between 3PM and 9PM, with the highest percentage of them occurring between 6-9pm - evening rush hour. Commuters rush home daily to eat, spend time with their families, watch television and/or get to work on a second job, and many of them are fatigued from poor sleep the night before.

Deaths per miles of travel is three times greater at night than during the day, with 2/3 of those deaths being people who were not wearing seat belts. Fatigue plays a far greater role in crashes and fatalities during the day than at night, however. Speeding, drunk driving, distracted driving and failure to wear seat belts are the primary causes for nighttime deaths, as all of those increase at night.

49% of all fatal crashes happen at night. The weekends have more vehicles on the road than during the week, and thus have more accidents than do the weekdays. Saturday is the most dangerous day to drive. August is the most dangerous month.

Ninety-five percent of crashes are caused by human error, but seventy-five percent of drivers say they’re more careful and better drivers than most other drivers.

The safest time to drive a vehicle is Tuesday, between 4AM and 6AM.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good post Turtle.

Just goes to prove that numbers and humans do have at least one thing in common. If you torture them long and hard enough they will say exactly what you want them to say.

Bob Wolf.

Missie600

Active Expediter
I am the night driver on our team. I have always been a night owl.

Gary and I began our careers driving tractor trailers for US Xpress about 10 years ago. We found out within the first couple of months that drivers get jerked around. But we also wanted to keep driving. So we made a decision to let a few things slide off our backs in order to keep our sanity. Otherwise, we would be cranky, angry people all of the time. We see those people at every truck stop and warehouse. We also came up with our motto "Don't make plans!"

Expediting is so much better and we love the non forced dispatch and the straight trucks.

It would be great if we were allowed to use common sense to decide when we drive and sleep. But history shows that many people don't have common sense. There are always those few that ruin it for everyone else.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It would be great if we were allowed to use common sense to decide when we drive and sleep. But history shows that many people don't have common sense. There are always those few that ruin it for everyone else.

That was the case, exactly the same, under the old HOS rules too. Yes, indeed; it is regretable that all drivers need to be regulated because some drivers lack the common sense to manage their time and sleep well, and to put safety first. But that does not justify the new rules. While they make drivers jump through new hoops, the new HOS rules do NOTHING to improve safety, or to increase common-sense behavior in the driver community.

Viewing the bigger picture, if you look at your carrier's current SMS scores, you will see that in two BASIC categories, the scores exceed intervention threshholds. This was not the case when the SMS data first became available and before EOBR's went into widespread use there. It is the case now, such that "this carrier may be prioritized for an intervention action and roadside inspection."

It is intersting to note that while the number of power units increased by 3.2%, the number of crashes involving injuries or fatalities increased by 53%.

So, why is that? Is it that your carrier's contractors suddenly developed a lack of common sense? Is it because there are not yet enough regulations in place to address those few contractors at your carrier who ruin it for all others?

Instead of standing tall in the public eye as the safety-first company it once was, your carrier is now on the defensive under a scoring system that does not tell the true story, can easily be misunderstood by the general public, and is increasingly used by shippers to make carrier-choice decisions based on statistics of the kind cited above.

Your carrier's current SMS scores are a gift to a competing carrier that has better scores. It is not much of a stretch to imagine a sales person from a competing carrier saying to one of your customers, "Check out these scores. It's sad, isn't it, what happened to that once-great company?"

There is a lot going on with recently-adopted FMCSA rules, but very little of it is based in common sense or justified because of a new lack of common sense among drivers. Safety-wise, your carrier is no less of a company than it was before SMS scores went public. But the results the new rules are generating defy common sense.

The new rules address the lack of common sense among drivers no better than the old rules did, but the rules themselves are insane.

Because of them, your carrier has become an on-road crime wave in the public eye. And in the shipping and compliance community, you --a driver who is steeped in common sense and is professional in every way -- is known by the company you keep.

Given your stated purpose -- to keep on driving and to preserve your sanity -- letting HOS rules changes slide is a strategy that works.

But kindly note that some of us have other purposes in this business of expediting. For us, the new rules run counter to those purposes and letting them slide is not something we are willing to do.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2010 numbers, the most recent), the time of day when most accidents and fatalities occur is the same time when the most vehicles are on the road, between 3PM and 9PM, with the highest percentage of them occurring between 6-9pm - evening rush hour. Commuters rush home daily to eat, spend time with their families, watch television and/or get to work on a second job, and many of them are fatigued from poor sleep the night before.

Deaths per miles of travel is three times greater at night than during the day, with 2/3 of those deaths being people who were not wearing seat belts. Fatigue plays a far greater role in crashes and fatalities during the day than at night, however. Speeding, drunk driving, distracted driving and failure to wear seat belts are the primary causes for nighttime deaths, as all of those increase at night.

49% of all fatal crashes happen at night. The weekends have more vehicles on the road than during the week, and thus have more accidents than do the weekdays. Saturday is the most dangerous day to drive. August is the most dangerous month.

Ninety-five percent of crashes are caused by human error, but seventy-five percent of drivers say they’re more careful and better drivers than most other drivers.

The safest time to drive a vehicle is Tuesday, between 4AM and 6AM.

talk about mind bending numbers...

"Deaths per miles of travel is three times greater at night than during the day," BUT yet...
ONLY 49% of deaths occur at night....making the day most dangerous...at 51%...
Is that 2/3 of all deaths are at night, making night driving more dangerous just for the occupants of said vehicle...

As Bob said...twist them numbers to fit where needed....

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
Drive 60 and log it at 65. After 5.5 hours you will have 2.5 minutes to use bathroom and your 30 minutes will be up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
creative indeed...:).....

And very illegal.

Has anyone yet timed the actual time that a few of their "30 minute" MBR's" have taken? We have yet to do that but when we get back out and running I am going to do that. I bet that the majority of 30 minute MBR's are more like 40 to 45 minutes, if not longer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And very illegal.

Has anyone yet timed the actual time that a few of their "30 minute" MBR's" have taken? We have yet to do that but when we get back out and running I am going to do that. I bet that the majority of 30 minute MBR's are more like 40 to 45 minutes, if not longer.

The difference between paper log and E log.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what's a 10 minute cheat? Besides. 10 minute cheat! LoL and there is no way to prove it on paper log.... As soon as I hit that off ramp and no forward miles I'd be on my 30 till the on ramp...