My first 30 minute break

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not like anyone's going to type out oh yeah look at me I'm cheating...lol Some guy with a dog whistle will end up grabbing him;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did some checking the 30 minute break is not included in Canada nor new restart... And Canada logbooks are now available

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I don't see much of a problem with either new rule. I have to stop midway through my driving to take a restroom break already so I was already basically taking a break before the new rule. As for the new restart rule, we hardly ever take a restart. If you plan your trip and times right as a team you are gaining hours as previous days fall off. We've taken 1 restart since May and have never run out of hours even on our heaviest running non stop weeks.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How does one plan trips when you never know what, or when, you next run will be? :confused: Do you ever do multi-day 24/7 guarded loads?

What many, including the government, don't seem to understand is that no one law can fit every business model. MANY are being hurt by both of these two regulations. Many are losing money due to them.

For me a bathroom break was 5 minutes, or less, during a fuel stop. I seldom need more than that for a break. For many the breaks are dangerous, making drivers tired.

We have OFTEN ran out of time on our 70/80 hour clocks. On more than one occasion we have had to have trucks come and guard our truck while we took 34 hour resets to be able to finish a load. That will be a very big problem with the new reset regulation.

There really is NO legal way now to log guarded loads. It really is a total joke.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does one plan trips when you never know what, or when, you next run will be? :confused: Do you ever do multi-day 24/7 guarded loads?

What many, including the government, don't seem to understand is that no one law can fit every business model. MANY are being hurt by both of these two regulations. Many are losing money due to them.

For me a bathroom break was 5 minutes, or less, during a fuel stop. I seldom need more than that for a break. For many the breaks are dangerous, making drivers tired.

We have OFTEN ran out of time on our 70/80 hour clocks. On more than one occasion we have had to have trucks come and guard our truck while we took 34 hour resets to be able to finish a load. That will be a very big problem with the new reset regulation.

There really is NO legal way now to log guarded loads. It really is a total joke.

Those problems are between carrier and customer..... You are just the driver and working within the law... It is Fedexs job to make sure the load is legal ....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Those problems are between carrier and customer..... You are just the driver and working within the law... It is Fedexs job to make sure the load is legal ....

It is not possible to do it legally, not without having two trucks on every load, which no carrier/customer is willing to pay for. MANY loads require 24/4 guarding for days on end. Many in here have run them. When you log off for your 1/2 break, the other driver in the sleeper, the load is NOT being guarded. It is THAT simple. WINK, WINK is now the rule. What a total joke it all is.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Joe,, not your problem IF a customer wants that service they must pay for it or change and not require that service, it is simply business...

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter

Once we get a run we start planning our trip, many times we know before we deliver our current load what our next run will be. If there are delays at shippers, etc. we adjust accordingly. It works for us, it may not work for everyone.
We don't haul hazmat but I know there are certain exceptions on the 30 minute break for guarding hazmat. Our loads we've hauled that need to be guarded have required only one driver to stay with truck, so no issues there so far. I do agree that extending time on duty and forcing breaks may lead to fatigue but for us personally the new laws have not changed how we run very much.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
I needed a reset in Hudson WI on Saturday evening. I was headed west and didn't have the hours to make it past MSP. for my reset to qualify I could not start until 5 AM PST. Now I actually had close to 40 hours off but I wasn't gaining anything until 5 AM Pacific. Not 4:30 not 4:45, it had to be......

5 AM HOME TERMINAL TIME.

MSP is Central time. So I drove right into rush hour, when previously I would have started my day earlier to miss it. It cost me an hour.

Now the suits will say "just wait until after the rush" or "its only an hour."

Sure, it's not an hour of their lives wasted, right?

Sure just wait until after the rush...but then I could not make my first drop Tuesday afternoon and then my second drop wouldn't happen until Thursday instead of Wednesday.

It's just one day after all right?

The retarded part is that a driver on Eastern time would have been legal at 4 AM central. My body was awake at 3 AM pacific because I had delivered and picked up in the eastern time zone and I had adjusted.

However....
Monday evening at 7 PM I was legal but my body was not because it had been awake since 3 AM and thought it was 10 PM. So I drove tired. But legal.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or the Feds to install a password-protected ignition system.. And a WebCam or two and FedEx dispatch can guard truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Once we get a run we start planning our trip, many times we know before we deliver our current load what our next run will be. If there are delays at shippers, etc. we adjust accordingly. It works for us, it may not work for everyone.
We don't haul hazmat but I know there are certain exceptions on the 30 minute break for guarding hazmat. Our loads we've hauled that need to be guarded have required only one driver to stay with truck, so no issues there so far. I do agree that extending time on duty and forcing breaks may lead to fatigue but for us personally the new laws have not changed how we run very much.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

The ONLY hazmat that I know of that has exemptions are explosive loads. We don't run those. Sometimes we know what our next load will be, sometimes we do not.

I am happy to hear that it works OK for you. Things are always better when they work out. For us, it is something else to think about, whether or not this business is still worth the trouble. It is just one of many.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I drive at night, so the impact on me is fairly minimal. But a guy who drives during the day tells me that he tried to pull over at one of the tollway oases around Chicago and was in for a rude awakening. Normally, the oases are packed at night but have spots available during the day. This, apparently, is no more, as every driver in town tries to take their break there.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Layout I was reading an article in Overdrive about FMSCA now changing the definition of off duty time, etc. Of course it goes without saying these things should have been considered before these new HOS rules took effect...but I bet as issues like guarded loads etc arise the definitions and rules will change again.
I was just scanning the article but if I find it again I will send you the link...guarded loads may possibly fit into the new definition of off duty.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
Just more examples of how poorly though out and arbitrary these new rules are. But I didn't expect any less from this administration....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Apparently seems to be a problem for some. Had a flatbed yesterday in such a rush at a Pilot in Louisiana take out the side of our truck. What a way to get woke up. Of course he tried to run off but another driver blocked him in so he couldn't leave. At least when the cops got there he fessed up.

sterling wreck.jpg

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Layout I was reading an article in Overdrive about FMSCA now changing the definition of off duty time, etc. Of course it goes without saying these things should have been considered before these new HOS rules took effect...but I bet as issues like guarded loads etc arise the definitions and rules will change again.
I was just scanning the article but if I find it again I will send you the link...guarded loads may possibly fit into the new definition of off duty.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

This really should not be allowed to be logged off duty. Any definition of off duty status I have ever read always included the words "driver is free from the responsibility of and is able to leave the vehicle. Neither of these scenarios applies if there is a guarded load. If this is allowed to be logged as off duty, then the carrier is getting free work out of you plain and simple. The carrier would otherwise have to pay for another truck or private security co to watch the truck so why should you do it for free? I also thought about asking the carrier for extra pay for guarding while off duty but then that is in violation of off duty status as well.

Now is the time for everyone to step up to the plate and just say no! Off duty is off duty!

What's needed is for the gov to see how much more its now gonna cost them for their dod and other high value loads because of their stupid rule!

As much as most don't like this mrb, mandated or not its still your free time and if you give away your free time just to circumvent the rule and or help your carrier, then you are just plain stupid and I make no apologies for saying so!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys really have them already barrel.. They pay you or you say no where are they going to take their business ,very few other carriers out there that do what you do with the qualifications.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This may become known as the 30 minute break that isn't. Sitting at a truck stop mid-day today, I observed a number of trucks come in, park for about 15 minutes and then leave. My guess is that they are doing their 30 minute break but counting the minutes from the time they leave the freeway to the time they get back on. The result is that they sit and "rest" no longer than they have to and the amount of time they do depends on how long they think it will take them to get off and back onto the freeway.

Also, none of them actually went into their sleepers. A couple went inside to get coffee or snacks. Most used the time to check their oil, tires, lights, etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may become known as the 30 minute break that isn't. Sitting at a truck stop mid-day today, I observed a number of trucks come in, park for about 15 minutes and then leave. My guess is that they are doing their 30 minute break but counting the minutes from the time they leave the freeway to the time they get back on. The result is that they sit and "rest" no longer than they have to and the amount of time they do depends on how long they think it will take them to get off and back onto the freeway.

Also, none of them actually went into their sleepers. A couple went inside to get coffee or snacks. Most used the time to check their oil, tires, lights, etc.

I said that earlier Phil.. If it was me and on paper logs id br logging the time from offramp to the on ramp