My first 30 minute break

Missie600

Active Expediter
We just came back since the end of June. We moved from PA to TN. Last night was my first night to drive this month.

After about 4 hours I decided it was time for "the 30 minute break". I pulled through the fuel island and went inside to use the restroom and also got some oatmeal. I prefer the original oatmeal so that I can add my own Stevia sweetener. So then I got back in the truck and pulled around and parked. Then I got my IPhone out and checked my Facebook and ate the oatmeal. I also had some cherry Greek yogurt that I had added two tablespoons of ground flax seeds. Then my 30 mins was over so I buckled up for safety and went back to driving.

There was nothing scary or confusing about this.

Hugs :rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There was nothing scary or confusing about this.

And if all you are looking for is "scary or confusing," that would be the end of the story and everything would be wonderful. But there is more to the story. And to be fair to all truckers, the whole story must be told, not just part of it.

Truckers of all kinds are affected by this rule change in ways expediters do not experience. Some (not all) expediters who ran differently under the old rules are now compelled (unwillingly) to run differently now. For some of us at least, there is more to this than adjusting your schedule for convenience and making your log book look good for the scale cop. The consequences of the new rules go beyond that.

No matter how you slice it, the new rules reduce a 14 hour on-duty/driving window to 13.5. The drivers and carriers who will feel the effects most are those who made productive use of that time before. You cannot reduce the productivity of the industry by 30 minutes without seeing impacts at some point. Those impacts may not be immediatly evident to many expediters but, rest assured, they are being felt in some quarters.

For our part, a one-truck expediter team, Diane and I have been affected negatively by the new rules. It is not scary or confusing, but it is unwelcome.

On two occasions, we were forced to take a 30 minute break that we otherwise did not want, need or would have taken. The result was less sleep for us in a non-moving truck because we were delayed 30 minutes by the mandatory break from getting to a place where such sleep could have been had.

Twice under the new rules we have found the new 34-hour reset rules to be a mobility killer. Before, one of us could start the reset at the end of one's shift while the other driver completed the delivery, drove to do errands, drove to a parking spot, etc., and then started his or her own 34-hour restart clock. At the other end of the restart, the first driver would be free to move the truck while the second completed his or her 34 hours of off-duty or sleeper time.

That freedom and mobility is gone under the new rules. Now, the requirement is for both of us to include in the 34 hour restart period two periods of 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. That means both of us cannot complete a restart until 5:00 a.m. It no longer matters what time we start the restart period. Both of us must go to ground for 34 hours ending at 5:00 a.m.

Doing rolling restarts where one of us would end at 5:00 a.m. one day and the other would do so the next day may be possible in some circumstances, but the effect of that would be to take a full day out of our work week in which we would be eligibile for team loads.

We have yet to find ourselves in a spot where the new rules prohibit us from taking a nice team run but I fully expect that to happen once in a while. Even if it happens only three times in a full year, how many times do you want to give up a $7,000 run, how many times can you afford to give up a $7,000 run, because the new rules prevent you from taking it?

The new rules may not be "scary or confusing" to some, but to those of us who made very productive use of our time before, and who have access to great runs that make it possible, the potential loss of tens of thousands of dollars of revenue per year is discomforting at best.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The 30 minute break has only been a problem once so far. After a long deadhead to pick up Shayne had to do a 30 after loading and before leaving the shipper.
We did our first 34 hour restart. Shayne's took 34 hours and mine (because I drive nights) took 43.
It was not a problem as we were pre dispatched and had the time.

Missie600

Active Expediter
We have friends who drive regional terminal to terminal who may have to do several pretrip inspections in one shift due to switching trailers. The 30 min break rule does effect them in a bad way. I understand their frustration.

I do, however, believe many are over thinking this.

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The 30 minute break has only been a problem once so far. After a long deadhead to pick up Shayne had to do a 30 after loading and before leaving the shipper.
We did our first 34 hour restart. Shayne's took 34 hours and mine (because I drive nights) took 43.

what is a 34hr restart? yes I drive a sprinter van, just curious

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
After 34 hours of off duty or sleeper birth our available driving hours reset to 70. But we have to have two consecutive periods between 1 and 5 am.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
May I ask why you drive nights? I ask because night driving is the most dangerous,although must people don't realize this.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Many are also under thinking and unfortunately they are the ones coming up with the rules.

One issue people in my segment run into is if you are running an oversize load. The 30 minute break can cost us two and a half hours because some states only allow driving until 1/2 an hour before sunset when others allow travel until 1/2 an hour after sunset. The same states that stop you 30 minutes before sunset make you wait until 30 minutes after sunrise to leave. So that 30 minute break will leave you stuck an extra 2 hours and the only way to avoid it is by speeding up. Not only can you lose the 2 1/2 hours but if you are going through a city you can have curfews that take 3 or 4 hours off of your travel time so that "30 minute" break can cost people several hours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I drive nights because my wife drives days. We usually change over around noon and midnight.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
May I ask why you drive nights? I ask because night driving is the most dangerous,although must people don't realize this.

In what way is night driving more dangerous? I'd much rather drive at night in the city or on the open road when I have the roads more to myself than in the day when traffic is heavy. As long as you manage your time and sleep well, and as long as you are not tired when you drive, how is night driving more dangerous? Also note that a driver can be tired when driving during the day too.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I drive nights because my wife drives days. We usually change over around noon and midnight.

I salute you for doing most of the nights,I hate to drive at night,but when I was a younger man I loved it.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
In what way is night driving more dangerous? I'd much rather drive at night in the city or on the open road when I have the roads more to myself than in the day when traffic is heavy. As long as you manage your time and sleep well, and as long as you are not tired when you drive, how is night driving more dangerous? Also note that a driver can be tired when driving during the day too.
It's not a question of being tired it is a visibility issue. You can see much more in the daylight and you have more reaction time. More accident's happen at night. I agree less traffic etc. is a benefit and all but according to statistics night driving is more dangerous

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
We have friends who drive regional terminal to terminal who may have to do several pretrip inspections in one shift due to switching trailers. The 30 min break rule does effect them in a bad way. I understand their frustration.

Were they overthinking when we went from an 8 hour break to a 10? Or from a 5-5 split to a manditory 8 in a row?

Will they be overthinking it in the next micromanaging legislation, where we have EOBRs, an 8 hour day, 12 hour break, and a mandatory nutritional menu we have to go by? IOW, where will it end?

It's not all that bad now, you may say. Here's a hint tho... the government doesn't stop at just a little.