My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

Krig

Rookie Expediter
They do the six cylinder by a good amount but the new 4 by not that much

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

But that's the thing.

It's a freaking inline 4.

Ford is apparently posting better MPG figures with an inline 5 that's of a higher displacement and has much higher HP and torque figures than both Sprinter engines.

One would think Ford would be jumping up and down boasting about this.

It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Projected build date of late August with a mid September delivery date. They have 2 in stock, their setting up the 250 today and letting me put a 50 mile test drive on it tomorrow. Told them I want to go I-94 west from Milwaukee to Waukesha and see how well it pulls that long hill at 65 mph with the cruise control on. $200 deposit and $800 below dealer invoice.

your not supposed to do hills with cruise on....it effects fuel mileage....it goes into OD too soon with cruise on...I like to feather pedal to avoid OD....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right so the Ford should do well. The two people I know running the sprinter 4 are very happy with them. They say both pull hills loaded well. So even with a heavier Pl hope the transit is a success at pulling and mpg. So far I like what I have seen.

Krig

Rookie Expediter
Because maybe depending on the model they don't trounce quite so much?.....

In that case, what models are Ford basing those diesel MPG figures from?

Would those figures decrease more in larger models than they would in the comparable larger Sprinter models?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need to remember those are most likely empty of payload figures so it will change with real world figures. Like Murry said the right foot is king.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In that case, what models are Ford basing those diesel MPG figures from?

Would those figures decrease more in larger models than they would in the comparable larger Sprinter models?
I dont know why they wouldn't....longer taller heavier models would be less MPG's in my book....a low and short would be top end numbers...just like the sprinters....

Krig

Rookie Expediter
I dont know why they wouldn't....longer taller heavier models would be less MPG's in my book....a low and short would be top end numbers...just like the sprinters....

The question is how much would the Transit figures decrease vs. the comparable decrease in the larger and larger Sprinters?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Until real world numbers from actual expediters start appearing it doesn't mean anything. It's not just size it's driving style and payload. One person in a long tall could do better than another in a short short.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But that's the thing.

It's a freaking inline 4.

Ford is apparently posting better MPG figures with an inline 5 that's of a higher displacement and has much higher HP and torque figures than both Sprinter engines.

One would think Ford would be jumping up and down boasting about this.

It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe their waiting until they can actually deliver the trucks??? LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
all bantering aside....I am glad you guys are going to have more of a choice in the future no matter what the little petty differences are.....:)

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
this thread has actual prompted me to sign up for the august 6th "transit tour" in cleveland! The wife and i'll will go recklessly operate AHEM test a few of em out I'd really sway to the diesel but the big hp and torque of that ecoboost looks "useful" LOL :D

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Right so the Ford should do well. The two people I know running the sprinter 4 are very happy with them. They say both pull hills loaded well. So even with a heavier Pl hope the transit is a success at pulling and mpg. So far I like what I have seen.

Xiggi, are you thinking about getting the new transit?? If so when do you think you will get one??

Krig

Rookie Expediter
Maybe their waiting until they can actually deliver the trucks??? LOL

Thing is, Ford has already been dancing up and down about the gas engines' mileage figures, screaming about how much better than the E-Series they are.

IMO, the diesel's mileage seems more impressive, but they're doing absolutely nothing to promote that.

Are the diesels being delayed?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thing is, Ford has already been dancing up and down about the gas engines' mileage figures, screaming about how much better than the E-Series they are.

IMO, the diesel's mileage seems more impressive, but they're doing absolutely nothing to promote that.

Are the diesels being delayed?

I was offered a diesel by my dealer. Nothing said about any delays in delivery. I drove several of the diesel Transits, you can barely tell that it's a diesel. Idles smooth, very quiet, throttle responsive and appeared to have good acceleration. It's a 5K upgrade. Dealer had a cost calculator from Ford. At 100,000 miles per year the diesel would save me about $335 per month in just fuel savings. But then add in DEF and diesel additives and costs of maintenance, I stayed with the simple, cheap naturally aspirated gas engine.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi, are you thinking about getting the new transit?? If so when do you think you will get one??

Not for several years at the least. By that time their will be more info to help the decision.

If I was shopping today it would come down to sprinter or transit. I have no interest in the dodge.

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Not for several years at the least. By that time their will be more info to help the decision.

If I was shopping today it would come down to sprinter or transit. I have no interest in the dodge.

uvebu5uv.jpg