My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
After driving the Dodge for an extended trip I was glad to get out of the truck.
Almost painful to drive the front wheel combination just does not seem to be the choice for an over the road vehicle.
It may well be perfect for around town delivery, but I also would never consider it in it's present configuration.

Stay safe KG
Unless the Dodge changes it's set up I'd never consider it...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why's GM missing all this fun ?
GM is right in the thick of the Euro-style van movement. When they unveil the new High Capacity DuraVan at the 2035 Detroit Auto Show; executives from Ford, MB, Fiat and SmartCar will pee in their pants. This is the Sprinter, Transit, Pro Master killer.
Duravan2_zpsb7b7f1f9.jpg

Shown here is the hydrogen powered DuraVan. Also available in solar/electric, coal/steam and dilithium crystal power.

Dilithium crystal power available with optional Warp Drive.
Warp Drive option requires XL interior upgrade package (WZ-473).
XL interior upgrade package includes keyless entry, vanity mirror and anti-matter shields.

Reactions: 21cExp

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sounds about right. Hostile takeover by Google, GM Will become Google Motors(GM). Buy your Google shares now, you'll be filthy rich.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, went back Friday after the mid length mid hight 3.7 Transit with the 3.73 gears was setup and did a 50 mile test drive. Was impressed with the acceleration driving around in the city. But, when I got on the freeway, it runs 2,100 rpms at 65 mph and 2,300 rpms at 70 mph. Not bad. But it's constantly down shifting. Going 65 and easy acceleration up to 70 made it drop down a gear. Climbing the long hill between Milwaukee and Waukesha it had to drop 2 gears to maintain a 65 mph speed. That put the rpms close to 4,000 rpms. Wasn't impressed with the highway performance even with the truck being empty.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this morning the dealer called and said they couldn't order the van for me with the 3.73 gears in the extended and tall hight unless I added the ambulance package which I have no use for.

So now I'm sitting without the van order placed. I'll need to either take 4.10 gears or switch to either the Ecoboost engine or the diesel which both come with much more torque at lower rpms. Both these other engines come with 3.31 gears as standard. Any opinions?

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this morning the dealer called and said they couldn't order the van for me with the 3.73 gears in the extended and tall hight unless I added the ambulance package which I have no use for.

So now I'm sitting without the van order placed. I'll need to either take 4.10 gears or switch to either the Ecoboost engine or the diesel which both come with much more torque at lower rpms. Both these other engines come with 3.31 gears as standard. Any opinions?

Just an opinion here but the 4.10's should give you more grunt but in a typical application you would be screaming down the interstate.... What's the "sweet spot" for the 3.7 cruising 65 at near 3k or higher Rpms may not be that big of a deal for it and the added gearing in the transmission may also help? Please accepts ignorance as I know nothing of the motor but I know enough about gearing from my vroom vroom "toys" :)

Sent from my flying circus

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Besides getting an express with duramax? I'd wait a few months (if you can) and see how they play out. My concern with the Eco boost would be fuel economy, and some complex parts under the hood. The diesel concern would be parts availability across their network.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

Honestly, I think the Transit has a six speed automatic and there is no engine/gear combination that will not downshift in conditions you describe. I think that is the "new" way of thinking with big vans + automatic transmissions with 6 or more speeds. I would say get used to it or don't try to maintain your speed so much on uphills or don't buy one at all with any combination.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Ok, went back Friday after the mid length mid hight 3.7 Transit with the 3.73 gears was setup and did a 50 mile test drive. Was impressed with the acceleration driving around in the city. But, when I got on the freeway, it runs 2,100 rpms at 65 mph and 2,300 rpms at 70 mph. Not bad. But it's constantly down shifting. Going 65 and easy acceleration up to 70 made it drop down a gear. Climbing the long hill between Milwaukee and Waukesha it had to drop 2 gears to maintain a 65 mph speed. That put the rpms close to 4,000 rpms. Wasn't impressed with the highway performance even with the truck being empty.

My Promaster runs 1,700 rpms @ 65 mph & 1,900 @ 70 mph. I think that's the way of things to come

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But it's constantly down shifting. Going 65 and easy acceleration up to 70 made it drop down a gear. Climbing the long hill between Milwaukee and Waukesha it had to drop 2 gears to maintain a 65 mph speed. That put the rpms close to 4,000 rpms. Wasn't impressed with the highway performance even with the truck being empty.

The real world road test is more telling than just driving around a large parking lot. Put 2000# in it, add a bit of a head wind and even on the flats it would probably downshift. I'm sure you're glad you took it out on the big road before buying. I know I am. Thanks for reporting back.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this morning the dealer called and said they couldn't order the van for me with the 3.73 gears in the extended and tall hight...
My brother-in-law (Ford sales) priced a tall extended with the 3.7L and it came back with 4.10 rears as standard, also. He is checking on options but from what you posted it might not be available.

...unless I added the ambulance package which I have no use for.
Flashing red lights would be pretty cool and the gurney will allow you to easily move your bed around.

Now that your old van is up and running you could wait until next year and see what future changes Ford comes up with. I'll give you a call this afternoon.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Promaster runs 1,700 rpms @ 65 mph & 1,900 @ 70 mph. I think that's the way of things to come
I think you are right. Smaller engines and a couple of more gears to help with fuel economy. These vans are built for the large P & D and construction trades market, not for OTR expediting.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you are right. Smaller engines and a couple of more gears to help with fuel economy. These vans are built for the large P & D and construction trades market, not for OTR expediting.

I'm really starting to believe what you stated. I don't believe any of these new vans are speced out for long open road miles. They seem to be more geared for easy movement around the cities like a plumber or other tradesman would most likely use them.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I really like the fuel mileage and torque on the Transit Diesel engine. But, that engine is only used in the Transit, and most likely will be only a small quantity sold. Definitely afraid of parts availability issues with that one!!!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, my last option is to find a dealer with a Transit with Ecoboost engine and test drive that. Hope it's more like what I'm looking for. Something that cruises effortlessly down the road, (Like a GM with a V8 does), not constantly downshifting and getting good enough fuel mileage to help offset the payment. I know Moot's dealer has a bunch of the Eco engines ordered, might have to take a ride up there when they finally arrive.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
So, my last option is to find a dealer with a Transit with Ecoboost engine and test drive that. Hope it's more like what I'm looking for. Something that cruises effortlessly down the road, (Like a GM with a V8 does), not constantly downshifting and getting good enough fuel mileage to help offset the payment. I know Moot's dealer has a bunch of the Eco engines ordered, might have to take a ride up there when they finally arrive.

An engine "that cruises effortlessly" is going to deliver significantly less fuel mileage! :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My P/U has an Eco engine....the slightest hint of an uphill grade and it shifts into overdrive..which is like Westie said not fuel economical...I don't use the Eco mode in a hilly area for that reason...
8 cyl 4wheel drive 3/4 T and we get about 18 mpg at 65 mph

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
They claim the milage numbers are mid length and mid height with all the seating.

The Promaster has two heights and only two lengths in the high roof, so the Promaster numbers probably are the tall height extended version. Ford should say EXACTLY what versions they are showing numbers for AND who did the testing.

My RAM dealer also owns the Ford dealership right next door. I'm going to buzz down there and ask to see the numbers and background. They are selling both the Promaster and Transit side by side. They will want to know themselves.