Military challenge

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Active, retired, veteran or family and friend of a veteran, the following website is a valuable source of uptodate information on today's events and unit activity, sorted by branch of service.
Military Community Center

Register, log on and find a buddy from your former unit.

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
U.S. Army (52nd Engineer Battalion) 1980-1984. Army Reserves and National Guard 1986-1994.

Best regards,

Mike

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
My family has a long line of service my 6th generation uncle Col John Durkee was the leader of the CT militia during the Revolutionary War. Most males have served in one branch or another since then. I served in the 25th inf div 25th s&t Schofield Bks Hawaii. Then the 250th Combat Enginers CT Army National Guard
My son’s serve today my oldest son SGT Joe Sawyer Arkansas Army National Guard 2 deployments currently in school to become a crew chief on a apache. Ken Sawyer Jr is a SGT in the Marines currently in Vietnam he is EOD and on a mission in Vietnam to recover remains. Yes we are still doing that and I am proud to be the father of a Marine on that mission. It is unlike any other duty he will do while serving his country. He has been tasked to go to North Korea later this year for the same type of mission.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i was in navy for 21 year's 27 days and 3 min's that was getting to gate after all the fan fair
one chief once told me if navy wanted you to have a wife they would provide you with one
and i said they did, she came with her own seabag, he didn't think it was very funny

at one time on my dad's side of family we had 21 grandson's in navy at one time
and one granddauther to

ret 89 as skc,sw

out of 21 years was on seaduty for 14 year's as sailor's belong on ship's and ship's belong at sea

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Marine Corps 2001-2004 Machine Gunner. Stationed with 1st Bat. 7th Marines out of 29 Palms, CA. Spent a couple weeks on the USS Ronad Reagan. I think you can guess what I did as a grunt. After I got hurt I became a 1369. Semper Fi.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
navy air myself

father retired staff sergeant army (67-71 viet nam)
brother navy seebee
nephew navy
nephew air force --united arab emirates
nephew marine ---iraq

nieceproudly following her favorite aunt.....naval air jag in ods atm

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
U.S. Army 1967-1973, 'Nam 19 months '69-70,voluteered after HS,sent germany (17 at that time) with 509th airbourne inf, volunteered for Nam in '68 went there in Jan '69 with c company 588th combat eng , also served at Ft Ritichie MD Stratcom hq,SHAPE Hq in Mons,Belguim,Ft. Ord Ca,and Ft Rucker AL(the sign on the latrine wall said flush twice Alabama needs the water). When I enlisted went to the detroit center at FT Wayne for the processing,at the end of the day everyone was herded into a large gym with bleachers, a sgt came in told all volunteers to move to the far right side of the bleachers,about 20 of us moved,maybe 200+ stayed in the main bleacher area.He repeated is that all who are volunteers? The 200+ laughed at the "suckers", he then informed them that due to low enlistments this group of draftees were now officially in the U.S, marine Corps, the laughing stopped very aburtly . The sgt seemed to enjoy the discomfort of that group of draftees as they were put on buses to camp pendelton/camp legune.

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
My Dad was a US Army career military man, he was in for 28 years. Was in WW2 in an anti-aircraft artillery unit. Then later went to the Ordnance Corps(Vehicle maintenance) after WW2. He served in Korea and Vietnam. He retired in 1969, and passed away in 1988. I really miss him. Myself, I was a 2 year career man in the Army (drafted in 1967) was assigned to the 47th Artillery Brigade at Fort MacArthur,CA in 1968, then was in Vietnam 1968-1969, was assigned to USARV Engineer Command. In hindsight I shoulda stayed in, I could've retired in 1987. But 1 tour in Vietnam did it for me, had I reenlisted, I might have been facing a 2nd tour, which I had no desire to do, so I got out when my time was up. Tom.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I didn't serve myself - the draft ended just a few years prior to my becoming eligible. But our families had a few that did:

My father - USMC in WWII.

My stepfather - US Army, SSGT, mechanic, in WWII, served at the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes Forest.

My cousin - USN, WWII, seaman, on a carrier in the Pacific theater.

My father-in-law - USAF, full-bird Colonel, pilot, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, shot down over North Africa while flying a P-51, was later with MAC, flying C-130's

My mother-in-law - WACS, WWII

My brother-in-law - USMC, combat photographer, Vietnam

My brother-in-law's daughter - USCG, unsure of her rank but she's a lifer - been in about 15 years so far, crypto and intel currently.

Her husband - USCG, pilot

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
USAF, 25 years 61 to 86. Did not go to SEA. Three years in Germany, and two years in Italy protrcting Europe from the Red horde. My son is in the GA National Guard. Because he works at the ports he has to get an access card from homeland security. The nit wits, the worst thing I can call they them on a public forum, or holding it up because he was born in Germany at a Air Force hospital. Never mind that he has 18 years in the guard, has had a TS clearance, has a Secret clearance, did tours in Bosina and Iraq, they are still jerking him around. If it goes on much longer I am going to get my congressman involved. We are a heavy military district, Kings Bay, FT Stewart, Hunter Army Air Field, he listens.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I served in Viet Nam '68-'69 with the 26th Marines . I had a cousin serving in country with the 101st Airborne during that same time period . I had a couple of cousins that were career Air Force and several uncles serving in the Navy and Army during WWII .

markafd

Expert Expediter
My father served in the Army during WWII all he ever said was he was on every island in the Pacific at one time or another he drove truck haulin whatever needed hauled. Myself served 4 Years in the Army 83-87 Infantry soldier 2 years with 3rd Armored Division, Germany and 2 Years with the 101st, not a easy 4 years but prepared for for my Career as a Firefigter curently 19yrs. and part Time driver (which by the way is one of the most demanding jobs mentaly) GOD BLESS AMERICA

Nuke

Seasoned Expediter
1986-1988 Soviet Union Navy, Northern Fleet, fast attack nuclear-powered sub, reactor-turbine compartment machinist. Two trip into Middlterrenian Sea... watch for US carrier.

Dad - 1953-1956 coast guard artillery at navy base Libava, Baltic Sea

Grandfather - 1944-1946 was commander 76-mm antitank battery, stormed Berlin, dead in 1988... two his brothers killed in 1942 at Stalingrad.