Load Securement

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The company I am now driving for uses ratchet straps to secure freight. However this is primarily flatbed work. In expedited freight how are loads secured, especially if the skids are in the middle of the box (so as to distribute the weight evenly over the axles). How do load lock bars come into play here? If ratchet straps are used to secure freight by strapping over the top of the load, wouldn't that damage the freight?

Regards

DooWop

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Your right about protecting the freight! It's your responsibility to make sure no damage happens while the freight is in your posession. Inspect it before loading and make notes on bills and advise dispatch before ever leaving the shipper. Load bars are used to set the freight in the truck often to distribute the load where you want it. Make sure the load bar doesn't damage freight by using cardboard, plywood, furniture pads, etc... and use your straps not to hold freight down but to keep product from shifting backwards or racking sideways. You can not over secure freight! Someone once told me you should secure the freight so that if you rolled the truck the freight would not move! Let us know how it goes..Your previous experience with flatbed will serve you well in your new venture!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Glen`s remarks are right on the money.In addition when positioning a single skid,I have found it best to go around the skid with your first rachet strap and return it to the SAME wall.Then go around the skid starting from the other wall,and back to the same wall.This prevents any movement in any direction.Four straps are often used on taller skids,totes etc.A load bar can then be placed in front for added security.After securing this way a PPG employee remarked that "the truck could probably be turned over and the drums would still be In place"
NO WAY AM I GOING TO TEST TO SEE IF HE IS RIGHT!

romoore245

Expert Expediter
The air ride reduces the need for much of the securment of most loads, once we had an engine on a pallet it was four feet tall the shipper would only allow one strap at the bottom eight inches. That was the longest 2000 miles we ever drove but it did not move.

Any other load we use four to eight straps plus up to four load bars for every load, just to feel secure.
Have seen some long time expititers who do not use anything, going the same distance as our over secured load.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before I ever pull away from the dock with a load the shipper dictates that it be secured in a unsafe manner,I would have a dialog with my dispatcher.the load would be secured to our satisfaction,or it would be left on the dock.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We figured it was secured the way the shipper approved, and noted it on the paperwork then sent a QC informing as much so we were covered, but if it had been a heavy load and the shipper wouldn't put it where we wanted in the truck it would have been left on the dock. As a shipper in S carilonia almost found out after telling my wife she was just a woman and he would load the trcuk like he wanted.
We have even taken pictures of loads to prove we had it secured properly. Its a digital age we should use it to our adavantage.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
easy to explain, ratchet straps are the way to go, as the push and release type straps have been known to loosen up on rare occassions.

For 2 pallets side by side, I will use atleast 8 straps, usually a combination of ratchet and push and release. I will also use 4 load bars.

6 to 8 pallets I will use 4 load bars and atleast 6 straps... I always use my load bars with my straps.

I picked up at Navistar (international) truck engine plant and had a beautiful engine painted turquiose blue, I padded that bad boy down with blankets and a quilt (thick quilts are great for padding) and then proceeded to put 12 straps around/on the engine and I carefully placed my load bars... one load bar at the bottom of the pallet on the front and back, and one load bar over the top of the engine (so if it started up on me it couldn't escape the thru the roof of the cargo box).

Remember, the Load Never Shifts... tell them "the pallet broke". Smile!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The most difficult to secure load I have ever has was a radar nose cone for a Lockheed 1011 plane. We loaded out of Piachio AZ above Tuscon at one of those airplane parking lots for delivery to Miami.
This thing was perfectly smooth and round with no way to secure any straps around it. We finally built a cradle using about 12 straps and
hung it in there. Long haul worrying about the thing all the way but it made it.
When I have one pallet that for weight reasons I want to keep in the middle I will use 4 straps and then have the front and rear straps meet on the walls on both sides. This way the freight cannot slide in either direction as the angle of the staps prevents that..I also agree if a shipper wants something loaded that I do not feel will travel right I say no way,if they insist I write it up and take photos, a cargo claim can sure kill a good week.

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
This is one of the best postings I have seen on here in a while.Everyone who replied really added some insight to this one & every one who goes to this forum on E-O ought to read it! Now my input.
Called up on back haul "hey you want to run down to Mobile Al?"
Picked up in Winston -Salem ,NC 1 Harley-Davidson Sportster.
I ran straps around eack of the front frame loops & one across the back then took two 2x4's & nailed them down beside the tires like a channell on a bike trailer.I thought it looked ok but better get expert opinion. So I went by local dealer& got their ok on it. Then I went to one of the local air-freight fowarders & got them to put 8 air bags around it! Made this trip without sweating about securement!!! Jimmy

catfish

Expert Expediter
when i was still expediting, sometimes i'd get a load consisting of a single drum. i would have it loaded where i wanted it (NOT on a skid) and click 2x4 sockets into the e-track in the floor just ahead of and behind the drum. then i would ratchet strap front-to-back over the 2x4s which kept the drum centered at the bottom. then i would use 2 ratchet straps in a "u" fashion from the wall e-track around the drum to the same wall, 1 on each side. that way there would be no way the drum could move in any direction except straight up, and with the tension of the 4 straps in 4 different directions that would even be difficult. remember that with hazmat loads, you can't afford the cleanup if you wreck and the drum is knocked open. also, i kept furniture pads and heavy cardboard corner protectors on board to protect fragile loads. also remember that anything heavy enough can become a deadly projectile if you hit an immovable object, whether you drive a "b" or a "d" unit. keep it safe, catfish

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
There are still a lot of drivers out there that just put the freight in the truck and go....no load locks, straps, or anything. Those folks are just an accident waiting to happen. I always preferred using a lot of ratchet straps and having a lot of e-track. If you carry a big selection of straps you can secure almost anything for safe shipment, regardless of what awkward shape it may be. If you are as obsessed with securing freight as I was, your company will eventually get a phone call from a very satisfied customer - and it can lead to more freight for you in the future. Ratchet straps are the way to go - but load bars do have a purpose.... Put one on the floor in the nose of your box to help keep Evel Knievel the forklift driver out of your sleeper. You can never be too safe!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a roll up rear door and always keep the lock on and have a load bar set up in the rear of the box. This makes sure Evil K can!t get into the box until I unlock the door and remove the e track load bar.That way if I have to I can drop the landing gear before Evil and his 12,000 lb fork lift come into the box.
If I had barn doors I would have 2 bars across the back ,to keep Evil out until I got on the dock.
Over the years I have had damage done to the trucks twice by Forklift Truck drivers. One guy was drunk,slammed into the top header 3 times.Another time a soldier at Ft Benning came into the truck,picked up a pallet,backed out and for some strange reason ,lifted the freight high and went forward into the top header.
Turned out he was not supposed to be driving the fork lift,and did he ever get reamed by a Staff Sgt.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our greatest load securement challenge so far came to us just two weeks into our expediting career. Not only had we never driven a truck before, we were new to New York City too. We accepted a load offer: $214 to move 47 items from Brooklyn to Manhatten. We'd pick up early evening and deliver the next morning. New York City streets are among the most bumpy in the nation.

When we arrived at the pickup we learned it was 47 pieces of a custom-made retail store jewlry display unit. The pieces would be assembled into a freestanding floor unit by a crew in the store. This was elegant stuff destined for a top-name store. The craftsmanship was evident in the pieces. The company that made them had some great talent in the shop.

The unit included several glass components. No two pieces were the same size. Many were odd shapes with curves, buldges, triangle points, etc. Some were packaged for shiping. Some were not. All were fragile. The shipper was deeply concerned about even the slightest damage. He said the consingee would carefully inspect each piece and take him to task over the slightest flaw. The items were flawless when they left the shop. Getting them there in the same condition was our responsibility. It was a lift gate load on both ends, no loading docks.

Today we know better than to take a 47 piece NYC overnight load for $214. But hey, as brand new drivers we were eager to work and eager to please. We used every ratchet strap, load bar, and furniture pad we had. We used rope, rubber bands with S hooks, packaging tape, duct tape, 2 x 4s and nails. It took us hours to load and secure the freight. We spent the night parked half on the sidewalk on a street behind the store, having to move the truck several times to make room for other trucks, garbage crews, and street sweepers.

It was the hardest $214 we ever earned, but the freight arrived in fine shape. With nearly a year on the road now, we are proud to say we've had zero freight damage claims. Like Glen, we believe in over-securing the freight. Use three ratchet straps where one will do.

When you ask about how expediters secure freight, it's not an easy question to answer. The freight varies so much in size, shape, and type. In expediting, freight securement is as much an art as a science.

When we visit with other drivers, we often ask them to share stories about their freight challenges and how they overcame them. It's a great way to pick up new ideas on freight securement. You hear some very entertaining stories too!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Before I ever pull away from the dock with a load the
>shipper dictates that it be secured in a unsafe manner,I
>would have a dialog with my dispatcher.the load would be
>secured to our satisfaction,or it would be left on the dock.

We feel the same way but I'm reluctant to criticize other drivers's choices in that regard. They are there and know the whole situation. Nevertheless, drivers should know they have the right and obligation to refuse any load that is not properly secured. Good carriers will back drivers that make that call.

We've only once had to delay a load on securement grounds. The shipper staff members were in a big, big rush to get their skids loaded high with small cardboard boxes out the door. It was hot, hot freight that had to go, go now! The boxes were stacked higher than we could reach and were teetering on the skid. Someone, probably wanting to save time, did a terrible job of shrink wrapping the freight. (Think of size E panty hose on Britney)

We stopped the staff from loading the truck, called dispatch and explained the problem. Then we helped the staff wrap the freight to our satisfaction. Had we not demanded that action, the frieght would have certainly arrived in damaged condition, leaving us, the shipper, and the consignee in worse shape than the rewrapping delay caused.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Evil, the forklift driver! I love it! We keep a padlock on our rollup door for the same reason. I once saw a female forklift driver at a refrigerator warehouse using the final refrigerator as a battering ram to pack the truck just a bit tighter and make room for the final refrigerator that would not quite fit. It seems Evil has a sister too!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I met a fellow once on the dock who told me about what had happened to his last truck.Seems the fork truck driver just put a 2000# skid on the tail,because the lift was too high to go on the truck.Well this guy procedes down the hwy until a 4 wheeler did something stupid in front of him.Slamed on the brakes,and Newtons law went into effect.The skid went forward,thru the box wall,thru the sleeper, and wound up in the cab with him.This event happened with a previous carrier so I guess they canned him.He sure didnt learn anything,for he left this dock without securing anything.I guess he thought since it was against the front wall it was ok.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Keep in mind that sometimes Evel Knievel can be up to no good before your truck is even loaded. If the freight they are loading on your truck is damaged during (or before)loading, you need to note it somehow to prevent a damage claim. An instant camera (or even a digital one) is a great insurance policy against claims. If the load looks suspect be sure to take a picture for evidence - and let your dispatcher know the situation before you leave the shipper. Dispatch can make a note in the system regarding the condition of the freight, and the consignee can be informed by your company that the damage was done by the shipper. If anything looks funny...cover your own backside.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Amen to that! One day at a rest area a solo expediter driving for the same carrier as us pulled alongside to say hi. Shortly into the visit, he said he'd gotten ahold of some bad freight. He opened the door to show us a pile of rubble that used to be lamps packaged on skids. He said the freight house where he picked them up wanted him to sign the bill of lading before he'd seen the freight. This heads-up guy refused. Once seeing the totally trashed shipment, he called dispatch and asked to be taken off the load. Dispatch made a few calls, noted the situation, and instructed the driver to take the freight anyway, and to be sure to note the damage on the bill of lading. He did so, got paid for the load, and proceeded along without a freight damage claim against him or his carrier.

This driver made a wise choice and acted with courage to resist the pressure the freight house was placing on him to accept bad freight.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Another good point is to completely read the shipper's Bill of Lading,no matter how long it is.
A few years ago we were supposed to make a pick up in Gary Indiana to Pittsburg. It was in July and extemely hot. I backed in where they told me to and they brought the freight up and loaded the truck.It was not an airconditioned warehouse.The shipping lady gave me this 3 page BOL and something made me read it in it's entirety.Sure enough buried in there was a temperature requirement that the freight was not to travel or be stored with the ambient temperature over 55 degrees.
We brought it to their attention and also our dispatcher,they took the freight off. I think the freight was already damaged by the heat and they were trying to put the cargo claim on us. Also it's important to check freight coming from other trucking companies,they damage something expensive,then try to hide the damage and reship it on another carrier.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
wait until you have the opportunity to move nuclear warheads. Talk about load securement! Certainly the most nervous load. The shipper even had their own straps that we had to use. It was a educational experience to say the least. And obviously we made a safe delivery:)
Davekc