Liftgates

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning all,
im just wondering if there are any thoughts on having a liftgates verses not.
I have one but repairs are starting to add up on my 05,ive have only used it 3 times in the last 1 1/2 yrs out of 5 calls to find out if it is avail.
also has any one had one repaired or replaced or installed any thoughts are good.
THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR:cool:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TT, I think you answered your own question. "ive have only used it 3 times in the last 1 1/2 yrs out of 5 calls to find out if it is avail." How much revenue did the liftgate bring in for those 3 times it was used? Did that extra revenue cover the original cost and maintenance? Has it been worth the extra weight and length it adds to your truck. Buying a liftgate or not depends on the carrier and their customer base.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Things like liftgates are really an "outside of the box" feature; meaning, if a company doesn't seek freight for them, and lumps your truck in with all the cookie-cutter Hinos, they likely will overlook your liftgate. So it really depends on which company you're with. I know Load One used my friend's liftgate a few times. C&M has given me many loads because of my truck having a liftgate, as well as carrying straps, pallet jack, blankets, etc. In fact, they love trucks that are outside of the box.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
in 6 plus yrs. ive used this gate 20 times, it is heavy and I know it uses fuel.
revenue is minimal,and now ive got a repair on it that's gonna cost a few $ jus wondering if the cost is worth it.
thank u for the come back

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
in 6 plus yrs. ive used this gate 20 times, it is heavy and I know it uses fuel.
revenue is minimal,and now ive got a repair on it that's gonna cost a few $ jus wondering if the cost is worth it.
thank u for the come back

The cost is worth it, if you think you're using it enough. If not, bring that up to your company, that they should try to utilize it more. I would give it one more repair, if the talk with the powers that be sounds promising.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Things like liftgates are really an "outside of the box" feature; meaning, if a company doesn't seek freight for them, and lumps your truck in with all the cookie-cutter Hinos, they likely will overlook your liftgate. So it really depends on which company you're with. I know Load One used my friend's liftgate a few times. C&M has given me many loads because of my truck having a liftgate, as well as carrying straps, pallet jack, blankets, etc. In fact, they love trucks that are outside of the box.

When the carrier I run for shows me as available on Sylectus, it shows "lift gate truck" I know that there have been times that I am the only truck with a liftgate on it in a certain area, if a load pops up that needs it, there is a good chance I will get it. Especially the entertainment loads for C&M, I love those ones. I also carry a pallet jack, appliance dolly, straps and pads, use them quite frequently.

On another note, what kind of repairs do you need for your liftgate? They are so simple there is not much that can go wrong with them. My next time home, I am going to buy a wireless remote for a winch from Harbor freight and use it for my liftgate. There have been times I have been by myself and needed to hold onto what is on the gate and try to lower it with the switch.

Wireless Winch Remote Control

Deville

Not a Member
The rule of thumb on a liftgate is as follows....

Driver with out liftgate: Man, I really wish I had one.

Driver with liftgate: Man, what a God **** waste of money i'm gonna cut it off my truck and sell it for scrap metal.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The rule of thumb on a liftgate is as follows....

Driver with out liftgate: Man, I really wish I had one.

Driver with liftgate: Man, what a God **** waste of money i'm gonna cut it off my truck and sell it for scrap metal.

Or another thing they say..... Great, now I have to actually do some work because I have this liftgate....

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
We love having liftgate trucks at C&M, a big part of our business is Entertainment freight!! We have had several guys put refab liftgates on their trucks for around $2,500 to $3,500 and they look and work brand new. We also post our trucks as "liftgate" trucks and, we have seen in the last 24 months liftgate loads becoming a growing part of the expedited business.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
We love having liftgate trucks at C&M, a big part of our business is Entertainment freight!! We have had several guys put refab liftgates on their trucks for around $2,500 to $3,500 and they look and work brand new. We also post our trucks as "liftgate" trucks and, we have seen in the last 24 months liftgate loads becoming a growing part of the expedited business.

Correct I'm
in the entertainment Biz and on cannot survive without it we used to use ramps but as I get older I need to hire more crew to deal with the high weight of most things
A gate make it way ez!

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The load I'm on now I will be using the liftgate to unload tools and parts for an mri machine, and it looks like I might have a 2 stop load to Los Angeles and San Diego delivering next week which I will need it for. Now I hope there is a good entertainment load coming out of that area to get me back east.....

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would have to say yes. We have seven trucks with lift-gates and they all do very well. Lift-gates can help you get the longer loads. We have a truck out in Oakland, California sitting right now. If that truck would of had a lift-gate they would be headed to Pa on a 2300 plus mile load. Lift-gate trucks are used for white glove service work or high value products loads. I would say that its worth fixing plus let you carrier know that you would like to get more lift-gate loads.

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Which type of liftgate is more popular-practical? The ones on vertical rails or the ones that tuck under the rear? What about lift capacity? I have no experience w/liftgates, therefore, I ask.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I have a maxon tuck away with the wedge tapered tail very easy to use , you need to still have someone to assist as pallets on pallet jacks are very dangerous on a lift if solo , weight is a factor too some of the new aluminum gates with auto level are nice too but $$$$ x many I don't like rail gates not sure how they work with docks and forklifts

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Which type of liftgate is more popular-practical? The ones on vertical rails or the ones that tuck under the rear? What about lift capacity? I have no experience w/liftgates, therefore, I ask.

Ones that tuck up under the truck as it really kind of hard to back into a dock with a vertical rail lift-gate truck. There are many types of lift-gates. Go to this years Expedite Expo to check out the different vendors who sell lift-gates.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree with Bruno... while I've not yet attended the Expedite Expo, that would be a worth a visit for somebody wanting to invest into a lift gate for use in the expedited freight industry. I'd like to add that if you're not able to make it to the Expedite Expo then in March in Louisville Kentucky there's the Mid-America Truck Show which has an Expedited Freight section with people there that can offer assistance. There's also lift gate makers there at that show.

Now, I will also add that if "all" your dispatch system/team (including brokers) is not aware that your truck has a lift gate then you're losing out of freight. Lift Gates are very useful, I'd keep it. If it's not getting utilized then to be blunt you may want to consider your options. If you're carrying other things to make your truck even more attractive for certain loads and customers like a pallet jack, moving blankets, a hand truck, a wide variety of straps and load bars then you're simply sugar coating the icing on the cake with that truck equipped with a lift gate. A lift gate is a very simple machine too, perhaps it's time to upgrade or change out to another brand or model?

Hope we've all been of some help for you,

Sincerely BigBusBob.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

While there are many options to consider with liftgates, the most important is the size of the platform. The bigger the platform, the easier and safer the liftgate is to use. A large platform gives you room to work and move the freight around.

The next most important consideration is capacity. How much weight can the liftgate lift?

On our truck, we had a Lyman LHLP 4500 Hide-A-Way Tuckunder Lift. The platform was large enough to hold two 48x48 pallets. Capacity was 4500 lbs., always adequate (you don't move many 2,000+ lbs. pallets around by hand). The platform was also large enough to use a pallet jack to rotate a pallet 90 or 180 degrees, something we had occasion to do many times.

An especially-appreciated option was the built-in cart stops. These are foot-operated flaps at the end of the platform that pop up and keep the pallet jack or dolly from rolling off the end of the liftgate; especially appreciated when the truck is parked on a slopped surface.

We served carriers that made liftgates well worth the money. Obviously, if your carrier does little liftgate freight, don't buy one.

Some people make the mistake of comparing liftgate revenue to liftgate cost to determine the value of owning a liftgate. This piece of equipment is better viewed as part of the truck, not as a separate item.

It happened many times that we got dispatched on a load because we had a liftgate. While the liftgate accessorial fee was a modest part of the total run pay, the fact that we got dispatched is more important. Without the liftgate, we may very well have ended up sitting for another day or two. It also happened that liftgate loads got us sweet cross-country runs that we might not have otherwise had.

Did you run because you had a liftgate when you otherwise would have sat? Did you get a better run because of the liftgate or might you have gotten a great run without one? There is no way to factor what-if scenarios into the liftgate equation.

Finally, we often used the liftgate where one was not required and we were glad to have it. That happened when we had no confidence in the forklift driver and chose to load the freight ourselves, the extra maneuver space the liftgate provided made it easier to use a pallet jack to rearrange the freight in the truck once the forklift loaded it, we helped a neighbor move a refrigerator, we used the liftgate to unload our equipment to clean the box, we used the liftgate to transfer cargo from one truck to another in a freight rescue situation, and more.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
A team I think the key word you used here was "we" an important part of Liftgate use! How about getting 2 pallets on the gate and then taking your pj off by hand just to get the pallets off the gate, there have been many curse word uttered while doing this !! Office building rentals always turn into a headache when they automatically think your gonna pallet jack those 12 skids of paper at 1500 lbs a skit to the 9 th floor and down a few thousand ft of narrow hallway , that's a conversation starter starting with "wtf your kiddin me right ! "

Last edited: