July Locations 2011 ;) Dollas!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know one thing, the rates i've been running for lately, even though they are mostly 90 cpm, isn't enough money for me to have a van payment. If I stick to this business past this year, i'm gonna have to find me a carrier that pays me what i'm worth. The load I got out of California was a bit lower then my normal rate and I delivered it 9 hours early because the shipper wanted it there earlier. I shouldn't have provided high class service for a load that did not pay me a high class rate, but i'm a sucker for getting the job done whatever it takes. I just wish i'd be paid for my professionalism.

I don't have a van payment, No mortgage...nothin but living expenses....that gives me the advantage for once...plus being with a carrier that will forgo the usual % IF the load is of lower standard....

Lower paying rates I tend to slow it down and take every minute within commonsense to boost the MPG's to maximize the mileage rate...using the fuel savings to bump up the rate..IF the customer really really needs it....they can pay a bit more...

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I know one thing, the rates i've been running for lately, even though they are mostly 90 cpm, isn't enough money for me to have a van payment. If I stick to this business past this year, i'm gonna have to find me a carrier that pays me what i'm worth. The load I got out of California was a bit lower then my normal rate and I delivered it 9 hours early because the shipper wanted it there earlier. I shouldn't have provided high class service for a load that did not pay me a high class rate, but i'm a sucker for getting the job done whatever it takes. I just wish i'd be paid for my professionalism.

Getting the job done as fast as you can while keeping your profits as high as possible are just good business choices. I just ran a load for .80 a mile out of Laredo and delivered it 24 hours early just to get ready to move onto the next load which was at a better rate.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Getting the job done as fast as you can while keeping your profits as high as possible are just good business choices. I just ran a load for .80 a mile out of Laredo and delivered it 24 hours early just to get ready to move onto the next load which was at a better rate.

Depending on circumstances Paul...say if your delivery was Sunday afternoon in Laredo...what sense does it do getting there 12 hours early? ya burn the rubber off, just to sit...you ain't getting another load and you've used $20 in fuel just to sit in the heat.....??? Why not relax take a couple extra hours save that 20 bucks and ride in the comfort of the AC...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Depending on circumstances Paul...say if your delivery was Sunday afternoon in Laredo...what sense does it do getting there 12 hours early? ya burn the rubber off, just to sit...you ain't getting another load and you've used $20 in fuel just to sit in the heat.....??? Why not relax take a couple extra hours save that 20 bucks and ride in the comfort of the AC...

I probably should have added that the max speed we drive is 68 but for the most part we run at 65. I do take delivery times and days into consideration for how long I sit behind the wheel but sometimes I just start listening to the radio or looking at the scenery and I am there before I know it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The last time i was in Lincoln Neb, it was soo cold the tires on the van froze to the ground as i slept overnight...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Hanging out at the Petro in Hotlanta, GA.

I've only stopped at 1 Petro before, I ended up going back to the fuel Islands, they didn't charge me a cash advance fee for <$100. Is this standard for Petro's or did I fluke out?

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I've only stopped at 1 Petro before, I ended up going back to the fuel Islands, they didn't charge me a cash advance fee for <$100. Is this standard for Petro's or did I fluke out?

If you fueled, there should be no cash adv fee (up to $300, I thinks).

Is anyone else stuck in Florida?

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
If you fueled, there should be no cash adv fee (up to $300, I thinks).

Is anyone else stuck in Florida?

In this case I had fueled uo but it was up front in the auto diesel section. The lady had no clue if I fueled up or not, I walked to the back islands and asked for a cash advance and there was no fee. I don't even have a Petro points card, I only stopped there cuz it was the only place open nearby that took fleetone.

Normally I have to pay the fee @ Pilot because I can't fit the minimum 50 gallons in my 22 gallon tank, so I have to pay the fee.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Got a load yesterday from near Chicago to Clyde, OH. Stayed at the rest area on the turnpike til around 10am today near Streetsboro, OH and no load so went home. Sitting here relaxing for a couple hours before they hopefully call me on my next load. had 1,196 miles for the week so far.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So Im getting closer and closer to joining ya'll out on the road! I leave for orientation Tuesday and have a one day orientation Wednesday :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
Home in Minnesota for a few days, clean up & upfit the rig for D' Expo, & Jetski's if the sun ever shine .
just turned down a 6,000$ run so i can go to the Expo.
you guys better make it a fun one !

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
TJ, you want a good pizza dinner.....take 29 north of town and get off at exit 9 a-b Barry Rd..go west 200 yards Name of the place is Minskys....great pizza....